Author Topic: Oscar Denial (I'll edit later for better readibility)  (Read 5924 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Oscar Denial (I'll edit later for better readibility)
« on: March 30, 2006, 04:50:37 pm »
I don't care what I saw on television Sunday night. It's all a lie, an evil trick, and I don't believe it for a minute!

"Brokeback Mountain" is Best Picture
Ang Lee is Best Director
Heath Ledger is Best Actor
Jake Gyllenhaal is Best Supporting Actor
Michelle Williams is Best Supporting Actress
"Brokeback Mountain" won Best Adapted Screenplay
"Brokeback Mountain" won Best Cinematography
"Brokeback Mountain" won Best Score

And Roberta Maxwell received a Special Recognition Award for her portrayal of Jack's Mother.

(I feel better now. ...)

Philadelphia Jeff
"There was something in his expression, a kind of bitter longing."--Annie Proulx

Re: The Oscar denial thread    

by - RouxB (Mon Mar 6 2006 07:18:51 )
Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Thanks Philly Jeff-I KNEW that was some bad nightmare I had!

"We're 'sposed to guard the sheep, not eat em."

by - yaadpyar (Mon Mar 6 2006 07:29:05 )

Hey Jeff -

Don't forget Emmylou Harris for "A Love That Will Never Grow Old". I was so touched by the graciousness of her acceptance speech; she's a real class act!

"I feel awful bad about Jack. Can't begin to say how bad I feel."

by - meryl_88 (Mon Mar 6 2006 07:40:33 )

I feel better now, too.

And the Truth shall make us free.

(You can tell I've been over on the Cult thread. :D)

by - Ellemeno (Mon Mar 6 2006 07:47:09 )

UPDATED Mon Mar 6 2006 08:28:08

I love that when receiving Best Director, Ang told about how Heath, Jake and Michelle breathed life into their characters, and how richly they had each deserved their wins. Of course he was much more poetic than that in his phrasing.

And how so many in the audience got to their feet and cheered as BBM was called for Best Picture, and how Diana and James grabbed all the BBMers to come up on stage with them, and how Rodrigo was waving his Oscar, and then when they were all assembled on the stage how all the other pictures' nominees still in their seats suddenly all pulled out cowboy hats and threw them at the BBMers feet up onto the stage, like roses.

I loved when Rachel Weisz threw a tiny hat toward Heath and Michelle, especially for Matilda. Rachel's grace, having lost to Michelle, but still willing to pull off such a generous gesture was really impressive.

But I guess what I was most touched by was when George Clooney led the whole audience in chanting, "I swear. I swear. I swear." And Clint Eastwood standing and clasping his hands to his heart and bowing deeply to Ang. Wow!

Did you think it was cute or in poor taste when Paul Newman and Robert Redford imitated the reunion kiss as they presented the Best Picture Oscar?

There was so much going on, I almost missed when they released all the bluebirds, and the whiskey fountain rose up through the stage.

Sorry I didn't post til now - after the Vanity Fair party, we decided to all go to the beach together. Wow Jake looks good on a surfboard. I was sorry for him when I had to turn him down, but as it was his only rejection of the evening, I hope he can handle it.

It was great to see you all there. Aren't you excited by the all expenses-paid trip we were given to Wyoming for next summer, for us and our families to join all the BBM cast and crew for their month-long reunion?

Got you a extra blanket I'll roll up out here and grab forty winks

by - Locksley_Hall (Mon Mar 6 2006 07:51:54 )

Did you think it was cute or in poor taste when Paul Newman and Robert Redford imitated the reunion kiss as they presented the Best Picture Oscar?

It was cute. No question.

by - jscheib (Mon Mar 6 2006 08:02:39 )

Ledger and Gyllenhaal, the new Newman and Redford. The torch has been passed to a new generation. ...

And let us not forget that Jake did exactly what he promised on "Oprah": When Heath's name was called, he jumped up and yelled, "Jack Nasty loves you!"

Philadelphia Jeff
"There was something in his expression, a kind of bitter longing."--Annie Proulx

by - yaadpyar (Mon Mar 6 2006 08:14:15 )

OMG - ya'll are so great. But again, the laughing-out-loud at work is problematic!

Me:     

Boss/Co-Workers:     

Elle - I'm sure you and Jake will still be friends. He just seems like the kind who'll get past it.

I loved Jon Stewart's intro, where he said the evenings awards were just a formality, as a BBM sweep was a foregone conclusion (and to honor others in categories BBM wasn't nominated in). He was so sincere about it instead of his typical, loveable snarkiness.

by - austendw (Mon Mar 6 2006 08:35:37 )

ROFL...

For the treatment of Post-Oscar Depression:

This thread should be read three times daily, before or after meals, for five days, or until symptoms cease entirely.

by - ednbarby (Mon Mar 6 2006 09:07:47 )

Oh, dear. I'm afraid it's making mine worse. I guess I really am more shook up by this than I would have ever imagined. Nice work, though, guys - it's just that I can't eat no cake just now.

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies.

by - reannawrites (Mon Mar 6 2006 12:46:33 )

and after Ellemeno turned Jake down, guess who he turned to for comfort and love? =) Then Jake and I lived happily ever after, remembering the night that Brokeback won Best Picture and we fell in love at first sight.

God how I wish all of this was true. I love what you all have written.

hugs, love,
reanna

by - kelda_shelton (Mon Mar 6 2006 12:51:37 )

UPDATED Mon Mar 6 2006 12:52:19

I'm watching the oscars for the first time tonight. It's the highlights show, so I expect to see all that was mentioned above!!!

Great thread! Crash - what!? who!? I have no idea what you are talking about.

BBM-aholic! See..www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com (& .net!)

Next Year!    

by - yaadpyar (Mon Mar 6 2006 13:01:00 )

Aren't you excited by the all expenses-paid trip we were given to Wyoming for next summer, for us and our families to join all the BBM cast and crew for their month-long reunion?

Heck yeah, Elle! August in Wyoming...we'll celebrate 'The Chasm' together! (see BBM Cult thread for details on this and the importance of August).

Heath & Michelle were so adorable together this morning over the late brunch, too. Jake is a great godfather to Matilda, and you can tell Heath & Michelle belong together. So nice of them to host the wonderful fete for all of us before they get back to their own lives. I'm not sure who Matilda looks most like yet...

And meeting Pierre & Nicole in person was just one big inside joke really. So nice they've joined this eponymous world of ours and become honored members of the Tremblayans, which, in the real world, they already are! As gracious in person as on-line.

by - lnicoll (Mon Mar 6 2006 14:23:28 )

And Elle--
At the Vanity Fair party, I had a chance to talk to Annie Proulx and she told me that even though she killed off Jack in the story (so it could be a tragedy), in real life, they are happily living on their big spread in Farmingdale, Vermont. They are very successful, happy, and actually got married in Massachusetts in May, 2004.
Leslie

by - JLScheib (Mon Mar 6 2006 15:40:40 )

<<and after Ellemeno turned Jake down, guess who he turned to for comfort and love? =) Then Jake and I lived happily ever after, remembering the night that Brokeback won Best Picture and we fell in love at first sight. >>

But that's just not possible, Reanna. After the he finished surfing, Jake caught the redeye back to Philadelphia with me. Even as I write this, he's laundering my best cowboy shirt for me by beating it with a stick in the bathtub.

Philadelphia Jeff

by - cmr107 (Mon Mar 6 2006 19:27:29 )

I loved when Ang was accepting his award, he told everyone how he couldn't have done it without his Additional First Assistant Director, Pierre Tremblay.

Courtney

The Oscar denial thread    

by - JLScheib (Mon Mar 6 2006 19:47:31 )

Gosh, if it has helped lighten anyone's day at this bleak time, then I'm really glad I started this thread--on a whim!--at work this morning!

(Of course, it's all really true. ...)

Philadelphia Jeff

by - yaadpyar (Mon Mar 6 2006 19:54:22 )

Oh - definitely some much needed light, Jeff, but I think you're going to see a LOT of versions of who Jake ended-up with.

by - BMJunkie (Tue Mar 7 2006 01:46:47 )

Love bump.

by - Ellemeno (Tue Mar 7 2006 01:54:05 )

>> I loved when Ang was accepting his award, he told everyone how he couldn't have done it without his Additional First Assistant Director, Pierre Tremblay.

Oh Courtney, I agree! And it was a relief after them nearly coming to fisticuffs over Ang's disappointment that we didn't choose his board to live on.

Gonna snow tonight for sure. 

by - jscheib 5 days ago (Tue Mar 21 2006 10:16:54 )

Bump because maybe some folks who have come to Team Tremblay since the debacle of March 5 can still get a laugh out of this thread.

Jeff
There was something in his expression, a kind of bitter longing.--Annie Proulx

by - yaadpyar 5 days ago (Tue Mar 21 2006 10:19:15 )

Ahhhh - a very fond stroll down memory lane. Thanks Jeff.

"You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

by - amh625 5 days ago (Tue Mar 21 2006 10:23:59 )

These are hilarious, I missed them the first time - thanks for bumping!

"I'm not going to wait for the world to be perfect to make movies." -- Ang Lee 

Academy First    

by - yaadpyar 5 days ago (Tue Mar 21 2006 10:31:05 )

I really loved the press release the Academy sent out following BBM's win for BP saying it was unprecedented in the AMPAS history that every single Academy member screened all 5 BP noms, and BBM won by unanimous consent due to the sheer brilliance of every aspect of the film from screenplay to acting to direction to editing to make-up. I think it's the first film ever to sweep all 15 awards for which is was nominated, and even some for which it wasn't. Yup, BBM won some categories as a write-in!

"You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Re: Academy First    

by - Ellemeno 3 days ago (Fri Mar 24 2006 03:57:04 )

I think Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine taking out that two page spread in The Advocate announcing that they've been long-time companions ever since 1970, when they were both in Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came? was one of the most touching post-Oscar outcomes.

Ellemeno

by - skinheadskippy 3 days ago (Fri Mar 24 2006 05:18:10 )

Aah, denial - no longer just a river in Egypt...

(Everything old is new again!)

O/T partly...    

by - Julie01 2 days ago (Fri Mar 24 2006 22:28:29 )

After last year's Super Bowl half time show, with a bit of naked breast in it, one very sober (but not really) guy posted on the Vintage Baseball Card Forum that he was really looking forward to next week's Super Bowl Game, and he didn't plan to miss a minute of it. he's always very funny. he has this tiny dog with a ferret's collar, and claimed to get all upset when someone attacked his (the dog's) maculinity. he said he'd have us know that Henry was all man...

Yes, I'm all for Oscar denial...frequently AM--look at the mostly mediocre movies that have won best Picture since it's inception with "Wings, ' in 1927...

Those in darkness, we don't see.--Brecht

Re: Academy First   

by - Ellemeno 1 day ago (Sun Mar 26 2006 00:07:56 )

And then when Larry Miller came out and then apologized...
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Oscar Denial (I'll edit later for better readibility)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:37:27 am »
I didn't know this thread had made it to Bettermost. Somehow it's striking me as fitting that I should find it here right after my first DVD viewing. It's good to see it again!

Jeff Wrangler, aka JScheib
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 05:37:08 am »

bump, for this is such a chuckler!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:00:25 am »
Thanks for the bumping, this is hilarious!!! :laugh:

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 12:59:40 pm »
Those were the days!
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:09:08 pm »
 :)  in a perfect world, it all makes sense! :D

PS Celeste - where have you been??  Glad to see you online................;D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 02:17:32 pm »
Oh, this was one of our very best.  Thanks for popping it to the top, Jane. 

Elle

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 07:01:14 pm »
Aww, I love this thread! Nice to see it again!  :D

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:26:50 pm »
Nice to see YOU again, too, Court!

:D
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 05:02:04 am »
Nice to see YOU again, too, Court!

:D

Nice to see you both!  :)  *MWA*

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 11:26:07 am »
Thanks, Clarissa :-*

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 10:20:56 pm »
Me?  Still bitter about the Oscars?  No-o-ooo.....  ::) :laugh:

I thought this was a good place to post the one little thing that makes me feel better about the Oscar Fiasco:

;D
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 10:31:35 am »
Those were the days!

Is anybody else getting kind of nostalgic nowadays, seeing that it was one year ago that we were all dying to see BBM for the first time?