Author Topic: Movies you've been watching  (Read 11645 times)

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
Re: Movies you've been watching
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »
yes, i used to fall asleep to Fellowship of the Rings every night in 5th grade. I hated it during 1st viewing (because i was stupid and prejudice against anything that wasn't Harry potter). But then i learned to love the movie....then i REALLY LOVED THE SEQUEL...AND THEN I DIED DURING RETURN OF THE KING, which i must say is a very depressing movie (i don't watch it too much, holds a special place in my little obsessive heart.)

How do you guys feel about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I just watched it for the 2nd time. I love it, i think it is a very solid movie. Elizabeth Taylor-besides for being almost too beautiful, she is just great in this movie. Her performance was one of the first movies i saw her in (what a difference between this and her character in Giant, or Butterfield 8 !!!) i just love the movie, Richard Burton was great too, of course. It seemed to speak levels. I've been watching a lot of Elizabeth Taylors movies lately

A Place in the Sun - wonderful, it took a second viewing to truly appreciate this beauty
Giant - slow, and sad, because of Jimmy Dean
A Cat On the Hot Tin Roof - despite being different from the play, this is a great movie (James Dean was to play in it, but died 3 years before it came out. Ultimately Paul Neman gives a great performance in his place)
Suddenly, Last Summer - this is a very underrated movie. I love Tennessee Williams, and Kate Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor of course!!!!
Butterfield 8 - It was good, not her best performance (she won the Oscar for this one)

ones i'm looking for

National Velvet
Taming of the Shrew (original 10 Things I hate about You)
Cleopatra
Raintree County
Reflections in a Golden eye
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 06:38:02 pm »
It's been a very stressful spring and summer for me, and I find myself turning to two DVDs over and over.  One is the History of Britain collection the first 3 DVDs of the collection.  I don't know, the historian's voice is very soothing and evocative of a place so far away in time and space that it relaxes me.  I also watch Fellowship of the Ring for the same reason.  The beginning, in the Shire, with its peaceful, lovely homes nestled amidst the rolling green hills and fields and copses and the only things going on are some pleasant drinking with friends in a small pub, outdoor parties on warm spring nights, complete with fireworks and reading books under a huge green trees on quiet mornings.

Bliss...

That description just gave me a huge, I miss my farmhouse in England pang.We used to walk over the fields to the pub in the evening, sit with friends to have a few drinks and the kids would run round like kids do.Sometimes having paper boat races in the stream by the side of the pub.
We would all then walk back acros the fields, some of us in more of a straight line than others.!!!!
I have just realised, that much as I love it here and I do, the heat has allowed me to drop so many of my medications, I miss walking by the bluebell wood, next to us,in fact I miss walking .
I also miss sitting in the orchard at the bottom of our garden reading, book in one hand, glass of Pimms in the other.Ofcourse the reality is that happened not very often as I was either working or it was cold and wet,It was however a very evocative memory, in a good way, so thankyou for that.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »
I love movies about ships, especially the big sailing ships with many sails and masts. Some of my favorite movies of that genre are:

The Bounty

Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World

White Squall

Amistad

And even though this next one has NOTHING to do with ships, I also love the movie Amadeus, which I'm planning to watch sometime tonight! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »
WOW! I've watched a bunch more movies! Start to bring this thread back to life

so, as i've said before, i'm really into Gael Garcia Bernal. Lately i've watched these movies of his

The Science of Sleep - very cute, very interesting, he's a good actor. I liked the audacity of this one
Babel - rewatched this one, still love it. Great movie, with my favorite ending of all time, very poignant
The Motorcycle Diaries - this movie was flawed, but good and inspirational. The power of it hits at the end

BAD EDUCATION - i just finished this one...wow, what a great movie. my favorite Almodovar.  Sexy, but with a great storyline, very thrilling, very thought-provoking!!! Gael's really good in that one

I'm soon to watch him in Dot the I and Y Tu Mama Tambien (which i've heard is really good)

others i've watched since last posting (plus Gael's movies)

Driving Miss Daisy - very touching, and a very memorable
Volver - Another Pedro Almodovar. Great movie, never thought Penelope Cruz was that good.
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 06:15:26 pm »
I liked  A Place In The Sun too.
All this talk of movies has made me revisit some very old ones, which I had to order through Amazon.Next day delivery, amazing,
I got Midnight express, Apocalypse now and Last Tango in Paris.
When I first watched all of these films I know they had a profound effect on me. Not to the level of BBM but they did stay with me for a day or two. So far I have only watched Apocalypse now, and it is still, to me a very good film.
I am interested to see how the other 2 stand the test of time.Will post on results.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 10:59:22 am »
really enjoyed Mamma Mia.  Had a lot of laughs!

Although, I must say, I don't go to movies very often.

I had thought about seeing "Mirrors", but it didn't get good reviews, from what I saw.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 10:51:54 pm »
yes, do tell about Last Tango in Paris. Thats a movie i long to see. Apocolypse Now is a great movie. I need to watch it again to fully get what its about, but i really liked it on first viewing.

Mamma Mia looks good to me, i want to see that. Meryl Streep is so talented, and she looks hot as hell in it.

Y Tu Mama Tambien was an amazing movie. It was a movie version of sex, basically. It was character-driven and the character's were sex-driven or even life-driven. It was wonderful, and really had an effect on me. Can't ignore sex now. At times i resented it, because of some juvenile jealousy issues, but you grow to look beyond that.

Dot the I was okay. I liked the twist, that was cool, and it was a fun movie, but not much to write home about. Could of been played better, i felt.

Tomorrow, i plan on watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, Y Tu Mama Tambien (again) and/or The Color Purple. So many movies in one day, because school starts on Monday

movies are my real education

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 01:37:45 am »
Legends of the Fall

Lost count of how many times Ive seen this movie, but absolutely love it. It is such an epic, with excellent acting.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 02:09:26 am »
WOW! I've watched a bunch more movies! Start to bring this thread back to life

so, as i've said before, i'm really into Gael Garcia Bernal. Lately i've watched these movies of his

The Science of Sleep - very cute, very interesting, he's a good actor. I liked the audacity of this one
Babel - rewatched this one, still love it. Great movie, with my favorite ending of all time, very poignant
The Motorcycle Diaries - this movie was flawed, but good and inspirational. The power of it hits at the end

BAD EDUCATION - i just finished this one...wow, what a great movie. my favorite Almodovar.  Sexy, but with a great storyline, very thrilling, very thought-provoking!!! Gael's really good in that one

I'm soon to watch him in Dot the I and Y Tu Mama Tambien (which i've heard is really good)

others i've watched since last posting (plus Gael's movies)

Driving Miss Daisy - very touching, and a very memorable
Volver - Another Pedro Almodovar. Great movie, never thought Penelope Cruz was that good.

I absolutely love Driving Miss Daisy. Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman are two of my favorite actors. I watched it just a week ago. It's a beautiful movie. :)

Legends of the Fall

Lost count of how many times Ive seen this movie, but absolutely love it. It is such an epic, with excellent acting.

I've seen that movie many times too Sue. I love it! Brad Pitt did an amazing job playing Tristan. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 02:22:18 am »
OMG Yes....Brad Pitt was amazing.....not to mention the always excellent acting of Anthony Hopkins.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection