Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 248170 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2012, 09:21:02 am »

Robert Doisneau's 100th anniversary

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/14/robert-doisneau-google-doodle?newsfeed=true

His photographs once adorned the walls of student residences everywhere but now on the centenary of his birth, 14 April, Robert Doisneau, the French photographer, is himself the latest subject of Google's homepage, the Google doodle.

Doisneau was born on 14 April 1912 and is best known for the photograph, "The Kiss by the Town Hall" in which in a young couple, oblivious to the bustle around them kiss. The photograph, which has the Paris town hall in the back ground and the tables of a cafe in the foreground, has been reproduced on cards and posters.

It was first published in Life magazine in 1950 and Doisneau allowed people to think that it was not a staged photograph. One couple, believing they were featured kissing in the photograph, sued the photographer. In court, Doisneau revealed that it was another couple who he had seen kissing and then asked them to model for him. He then took them to a series of locations in Paris. The couple who wrongly believed they were in the photograph lost their claim.

Doisneau's speciality was street photos and he avoided fashion or other forms of reportage. He was awarded a series of prizes for his work and he died in 1994.

Thank you for posting!!

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2012, 07:00:36 am »

180th birthday of Wilhelm Busch

Wilhelm Busch (15 April 1832 – 9 January 1908) was an influential German caricaturist, painter, and poet who is famed for his satirical picture stories with rhymed texts.[...]
Max and Moritz as well as many of his other picture stories are regarded as one of the main precursors of the modern comic strip. [...] Busch has become posthumously known in German by the honorary epithet of Großvater der Comics ("Grandfather of Comics").[...]
Many couplets from Busch's humorous verses have achieved the status of adages in the German language, such as "Vater werden ist nicht schwer, Vater sein dagegen sehr" ("It's easy to become a father, but being one is harder rather") or "Dieses war der erste Streich, doch der zweite folgt sogleich" ("This was the first initial trick, but then the second follows quick"). Only Goethe and Schiller are quoted more frequently in German than Busch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Busch

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2012, 04:08:33 am »

230th birthday of Friedrich Fröbel

Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel (or Froebel] (April 21, 1782 – June 21, 1852)
was a German pedagogue, a student of Pestalozzi who laid the foundation for modern education based on the recognition that children have unique needs and capabilities. He developed the concept of the “kindergarten”, developed the Froebel Gifts educational toys, and also coined the word now used in German and English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Fr%C3%B6bel

I like that you can read the word Google on second view. Clever.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2012, 05:11:34 am »
Oh, I didn't even notice that! Yes, clever.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2012, 08:40:27 am »

180th birthday of Wilhelm Busch

Wilhelm Busch (15 April 1832 – 9 January 1908) was an influential German caricaturist, painter, and poet who is famed for his satirical picture stories with rhymed texts.[...]
Max and Moritz as well as many of his other picture stories are regarded as one of the main precursors of the modern comic strip. [...] Busch has become posthumously known in German by the honorary epithet of Großvater der Comics ("Grandfather of Comics").[...]
Many couplets from Busch's humorous verses have achieved the status of adages in the German language, such as "Vater werden ist nicht schwer, Vater sein dagegen sehr" ("It's easy to become a father, but being one is harder rather") or "Dieses war der erste Streich, doch der zweite folgt sogleich" ("This was the first initial trick, but then the second follows quick"). Only Goethe and Schiller are quoted more frequently in German than Busch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Busch

This rather reminds me of the Katzenjammer Kids   Or the Captain and the kids.  By a German emmigrant Rudolp Dirks..
                       Chrissi..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Katzenjammer_Kids

I used to love reading them in the newspaper.

The style and content seem quite similar.  With maybe a bit of Tin Tin thrown in for good measure...?
           It is so facinating how artists as well as musicians influence each others style.

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2012, 10:10:11 am »
       This rather reminds me of the Katzenjammer Kids   Or the Captain and the kids.  By a German emmigrant Rudolp Dirks..
                       Chrissi..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Katzenjammer_Kids

I used to love reading them in the newspaper.

The style and content seem quite similar.  With maybe a bit of Tin Tin thrown in for good measure...?
           It is so facinating how artists as well as musicians influence each others style.

You got that right, Janice! Great catch. :)

From wikipedia: "Max and Moritz, for instance, was an inspiration for the Katzenjammer Kids."

And from the Katzenjammer Kids entry: "The Katzenjammer Kids was inspired by Max and Moritz, a children's story of the 1860s by German author Wilhelm Busch."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #456 on: April 22, 2012, 06:09:52 am »
a dozen or more images that go from
to
Earth Day, 2012
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #457 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:12 am »
Oh, that's lovely!!

You see the flowers actually grow and bloom!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #458 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:28 pm »

230th birthday of Friedrich Fröbel

Friedrich Wilhelm August Fröbel (or Froebel] (April 21, 1782 – June 21, 1852)
was a German pedagogue, a student of Pestalozzi who laid the foundation for modern education based on the recognition that children have unique needs and capabilities. He developed the concept of the “kindergarten”, developed the Froebel Gifts educational toys, and also coined the word now used in German and English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Fr%C3%B6bel

I like that you can read the word Google on second view. Clever.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlKze-_-Ts&feature=related[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #459 on: April 22, 2012, 04:23:25 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice!

Chrissi, what does the child say at the end?

I think I can hear  "es ist aber..." ("but it's..."), but I can't make the last word out.