Author Topic: Guerrilla Gay Bar - My new topic  (Read 9577 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Guerrilla Gay Bar - My new topic
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:23:29 pm »
What do you guys think of this?  I'm have joined Guerilla Gay Bar.  But I've never actually participated in it yet.  I may seem all political regarding gay rights, but I'm still not quite an activist.  GGB is a secret event that happens once a month.  Basically, group organizers send out a series of emails that hint at a meeting place on a specific night of the week.  The last email informing everyone of the meeting place goes out a day or on the same day of the scheduled event.  What happens on that evening is several hundred gay men and/or women show up at a straight/hetero establishment and turn it into a gay bar for the evening without warning.  Cool, and just a tad scary.  Would you participate?
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Guerrilla Gay Bar - My new topic
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:16 pm »
I love the idea, I would be very tempted to participate. Of course if it were a Hells Angles' bar I would probably decline, but the run of a mill bar would probably be pretty fun, wonder what they would do when the first same sex kiss happens?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:52 pm »
Interesting concept, but not my cup of tea.

I'm too old and tired to go out on week nights anyway. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:02:39 pm »
Interesting concept, but not my cup of tea.

I'm too old and tired to go out on week nights anyway. ...  :laugh:

Maybe they will have a Friday night and we can tank up on coffee.  :laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:55:07 pm »
fun idea!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 04:56:14 pm »
I wouldn't be interested in anything like this. I don't understand the objective. Unles I'm reading too much into it, it seems like these folks just want to antagonize straight people. I don't see any value in that.

Milo
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 05:04:29 pm »
What do you guys think of this?  I'm have joined Guerilla Gay Bar.  But I've never actually participated in it yet.  I may seem all political regarding gay rights, but I'm still not quite an activist.  GGB is a secret event that happens once a month.  Basically, group organizers send out a series of emails that hint at a meeting place on a specific night of the week.  The last email informing everyone of the meeting place goes out a day or on the same day of the scheduled event.  What happens on that evening is several hundred gay men and/or women show up at a straight/hetero establishment and turn it into a gay bar for the evening without warning.  Cool, and just a tad scary.  Would you participate?

I would definitely participte in this, especially if I knew other gay women were going to be participating and not just gay men.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:11:48 pm »
I wouldn't be interested in anything like this. I don't understand the objective. Unless I'm reading too much into it, it seems like these folks just want to antagonize straight people. I don't see any value in that.

Milo

The antagonism aspect is a troubling one to me. I would not want to offend or otherwise cause bad karma, but lord the temptation to go to any public place an display affection, or at least identify without fear, is an awfully intoxicating one.

This article is intersting:

http://www.vueweekly.com/article.php?id=2084

injest

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »
The antagonism aspect is a troubling one to me. I would not want to offend or otherwise cause bad karma, but lord the temptation to go to any public place an display affection, or at least identify without fear, is an awfully intoxicating one.

This article is intersting:

http://www.vueweekly.com/article.php?id=2084

first thoughts...that the activists themselves missed something...they may have 'taught' the straights something..but the straights showed THEM something too. There WAS no confrontations. The straights let them be. They came in...joined the crowd that was there...behaved like PEOPLE...and they were let be.

the thing that bothers me is the hints that since this one was so successful that the next one would be more 'outrageous'...and the answer is yes, if you get more and more confrontational then people will push back.

injest

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:54:16 pm »
I do think it is a good idea if it doesnt' turn into a "in your FACE, BREEDER" kinda thing...

what was described in the article could be a good thing for BOTH groups...Straights NEED to see gay people just being people...and gay people need to learn that they are not in as much danger as they may feel from straights...

a first step to building a level of familiarity..