Author Topic: TOTW 22/08: Do you think they kept each others postcards?  (Read 18819 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: TOTW 22/08: Do you think they kept each others postcards?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:44 pm »

What Kerry said !!

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 08:58:53 pm »
Kerry, you say:
   ...    Lureen seems to me to be the type of wife who'd go through Jack's pockets), which is why he kept the shirts at Lightning Flat.                  

Kerry, and what about Alma, did she say something like that about Ennis when he was her husband?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:38 pm »
Kerry, you say:
    ...    Lureen seems to me to be the type of wife who'd go through Jack's pockets), which is why he kept the shirts at Lightning Flat.                 

Kerry, and what about Alma, did she say something like that about Ennis when he was her husband?

A lot of people love Lureen, but I'm personally not fond of her, which is why I made the "Jack's pockets" comment, I guess. Mea culpa!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:40 pm »
Merci Kerry!

You may have a point
there... since you prefer one over the other !!

It seems that females like Alma best while males prefer Lureen, as a woman ??

So, maybe Alma is also like Lureen, in some ways since she did checked her husband's Ennis thing(s), as that is what she said in the movie?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 09:32:44 pm »
Yeah....lets face it......most women are curious snoopy little sticky beaks..... ::)

Wherever they might have hidden the postcards, a clever woman would find them.....no doubts about that..... ;D
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 09:33:51 pm »
I voted yes.
I guess thats just the Jack in me though.
It's hard to guess but I'd like to think they did.
I know lots of men that are pack rats.
When my Grandfather died we found old letters and stuff he had kept since before the war.
Ya never know. Sometimes still waters run awfully deep.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:35:02 pm »
Yeah....lets face it......most women are curious snoopy little sticky beaks..... ::)

Wherever they might have hidden the postcards, a clever woman would find them.....no doubts about that..... ;D
Lord Sister, you can say that twice and mean it!
The stories I could tell!  ::)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:44:09 pm »
A lot of people love Lureen, but I'm personally not fond of her, which is why I made the "Jack's pockets" comment, I guess. Mea culpa!

Well, it's no secret that I really like Lureen, so I'll certainly defend her.

In this context, about whether or not Jack was keeping the postcards... I don't think Lureen would care enough to go through his stuff.  I really don't think it matters that much to her.

She's not the kind of woman who has time to try to micro manage her family (made clear in the blue parka scene).  And, I think she tacitly knows something is going on (though I'm sure she doesn't quite know how to put all the pieces together until her phone conversation with Ennis) and she's even encouraging about Jack visiting with Ennis.  She's defending Jack and wondering why Ennis doesn't come down to Texas to visit.

And, I've said a million times in different threads, that I think she was far more charitable with Ennis on the phone than she really needed to be.  I think her urge to tell Ennis that Jack said Brokeback was his "favorite place" was tremendously kind.  Especially since by then she would have fully understood what she was admitting and telling him.  And, her decision to urge Ennis to visit Jack's folks about the ashes likewise seems very generous.   She really didn't need to do either of those things.  Maybe her affect was cold on the phone... but what she says to Ennis really is very nice.

I think Jack and Lureen were friends.  Genuine friends.  They were both living outside the gender norms for their time and I think they had a connection somehow over that (even if Lureen couldn't quite articulate what was going on with Jack).  They became bitter towards the end, but somehow that seems almost to be expected.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 09:56:07 pm »
Merci Atz !

I do like your post very much, especially part of your last sentences:
        I think Jack and Lureen were friends.  Genuine friends.  They were both living outside the gender norms for their time and I think they had a connection somehow over that (even if Lureen couldn't quite articulate what was going on with Jack).  They became bitter towards the end, but somehow that seems almost to be expected.

Atz, may I stress BOTH living OUTSIDE the gender norms of their time... and that is one way that I think that Lureen is lesbian, or at least bisexual at least, maybe? ? But everyone disagreed with me previously on my thread about that and some even got angry, unfortunately, without discussing it!

I find that Lureen is no fool and knows what is happening, even with postcards between Jack and Ennis, likely !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:22 pm »

I think Lureen is living outside her "gender norm" for Texas in the '60s and '70s because she's primarily interested in being a businesswoman.  I'm sure that would have been a somewhat unusual choice in her community back then.  She clearly has a lot of skill and ambition within a field that was probably almost entirely male dominated.  I'm sure there weren't too, too many female farm machine executives in her circles.  But, this is clearly what she wants to do.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie