Author Topic: Importance of the Jimbo Scene  (Read 48307 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »
Plus, the bartendar wants Jack to be a pedophile... is that it ?

WTF is that supposed to mean????
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2008, 08:08:54 pm »
Merci encore Front-Ranger,

as your post is very interesting.

Regarding clowns in stories, they do vary, as you described. Did Annie use Jimbo in her Brokeback Mountain story?

If Jimbo outlines an escape from the serious parts of life, that may seem so as he smiles to his friends after smiling to Jack refusing Jack, but he is likely two-faced and represents danger, may I repeat!

Jack was happy to ask Jimbo to be his friend (as a mate) but Jimbo cuts out that happiness in many ways.
The whole scene is like a mask... and it becomes a circus of bad behaviours by Jimbo, the barman and by Jimbo's friends which becomes a gang (a dangerous one to my view) !

I can never think that anyone see that Jack's death can be other than murder by a gang which is anti-gay And not only because that has hapenned to me, more than once!! It's logic that the story undertones towards gang murder of Jack!

But did Annie want Jack's death?

May I ask such questions ?

Au revoir,
hugs!  As far as other directors, I would have loved to see Fellini do this Brokeback Mountain movie ! Would you too?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:34 pm »
Regarding clowns in stories, they do vary, as you described. Did Annie use Jimbo in her Brokeback Mountain story?

If Jimbo outlines an escape from the serious parts of life, that may seem so as he smiles to his friends after smiling to Jack refusing Jack, but he is likely two-faced and represents danger, may I repeat!

Jack was happy to ask Jimbo to be his friend (as a mate) but Jimbo cuts out that happiness in many ways.
The whole scene is like a mask... and it becomes a circus of bad behaviours by Jimbo, the barman and by Jimbo's friends which becomes a gang (a dangerous one to my view) !

As far as other directors, I would have loved to see Fellini do this Brokeback Mountain movie ! Would you too?
I have looked thru the story, and I can find no reference to a rodeo clown in it. You are right, Artiste, that the clown can be a menacing figure. Just look at Heath's character of the Joker, who was dedicated to random senseless destruction and chaos. Also, this could be a description of mob behavior, which Jimbo and his cronies could represent as you point out.

Yes, it would be very interesting to see Brokeback Mountain produced by Fellini!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:48 pm »
Merci encore Front-Ranger,

as you note that Annie had not included Jimbo.

I wonder if Ennis considered Jimbo as menacing ?

And did Jake as Jack viewed Jimbo as a devil or so ?

Your post outlines what I thought all along that that Jimbo scene is menacing to Jack and in many ways!!

But I wonder why not many viewers see that menace?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2008, 12:21:49 am »
WTF is that supposed to mean????

Thank you Sue.  I'd like the answer/explanation to that statement as well from Artiste.  Absolutely NO idea what connection or context is associated between the bartender's words and any implication of anyone being a pedophile.  There were no children involved in that scene whatsoever.  It was a bar, where only grown-ups go, so what in the world would that have to do with molesting children?  He completely lost me, as well as you apparently, on that statement.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2008, 12:28:08 am »
I think what Artiste meant was if by asking Jack if he had ever tried calf-roping, if he was suggesting Jack pursue calves, i.e. children. That is a rather far-fetched interpretation of the script, but if you were looking at it strictly literally, it could be interpreted that way. Me, I interpreted it as "stick to heterosexual activities" but I'm not exactly sure why.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2008, 12:32:24 am »
I interpretted it to mean exactly what was said.....I think the bartender was making conversation, maybe he saw that Jack was a bit uncomfortable, and he tried to change the atmosphere.....

I guess interpretation is in the mind of the interpreter..........some which are not so nice.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2008, 12:37:06 am »
"Far-fetched" would be a very nice way to word that interpretation, Lee.  In a bazillion years, I would never have thought of the "calf-roping" line to mean ANY thing other than "calf roping".  Makes me sick to think of it being interpreted in any other way than that.

Like Sue said, I guess different minds see things differently.  I'm just glad I'm not inside some of their minds...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2008, 12:42:02 am »
I was under the impression that bull-riding is a more macho/hard-core sport than calf-roping, which left me with the impression that the bartender was making a dig about Jack's rodeo skills.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2008, 09:35:36 am »
I was under the impression that bull-riding is a more macho/hard-core sport than calf-roping, which left me with the impression that the bartender was making a dig about Jack's rodeo skills.

Well, I think that bull riding and calf roping are both pretty macho.  But, I do think this comment does have something to do with rodeo culture hierarchy.  My perception of things is that bull riding is seen as the most dangerous event and is often the highlight event (the popularity of the bull riding event led to the formation of the PBR, or Professional Bull Riders association, which highlights this event as it's own sport and the ability of bull riding as an event to draw crowds on its own).  

Calf roping seems to be about precision (in terms of aiming the rope and timing in keeping up with the calf).  Bull riding is about making cooridnating movements (or counter-moves) on the back of the bull, or reacting to the bull's direction changes with your own body.  So, the skill sets are different for the two events too.  And, I do think Jack's probably right that calf roping is a lot more expensive since you use your own, well-trained horse.  A bull rider just needs his chaps, glove, spurs and bull rope.  The bull would be owned by a stock contractor and the selection of bull traditionally would be random (there are some PBR events now where the riders can choose their bull, but those events are an exception to the norm).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie