Author Topic: Importance of the Jimbo Scene  (Read 48170 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene (Send in the clowns)
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:43 am »
The origins of clowns may go back as far as the Dionysian rituals of ancient Greece. This major diety was called the Liberator (Eleutherios), freeing one from one's normal self, by madness, ecstasy, or wine. Clowns serve an important purpose in art because they meet some deeply rooted needs in humanity: violation of taboos, the mockery of sacred and profane authorities and symbols, reversal of language and action, and a ubiquitous obscenity.

Fear of clowns is widespread enuff to have a name, it is called coulrophobia.

When Jack approached Jimbo at the bar, Jimbo was still wearing some of his whiteface makeup.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2008, 07:01:20 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger!

I enjoy learning a new word everyday:        coulrophobia...          is one among some others wonderful news you proviode in your post!

Do you wonder, as I, why Jimbo was still wearing some whiteface makeup?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2008, 08:52:54 pm »
"Far-fetched" would be a very nice way to word that interpretation, Lee.  In a bazillion years, I would never have thought of the "calf-roping" line to mean ANY thing other than "calf roping".  Makes me sick to think of it being interpreted in any other way than that.

Like Sue said, I guess different minds see things differently.  I'm just glad I'm not inside some of their minds...

What Mandy said. Not in my wildest imaginings did I ever consider this line had anything whatsoever to do with anything other than calf roping. Paedophilia? How very bizarre.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »
What Mandy said. Not in my wildest imaginings did I ever consider this line had anything whatsoever to do with anything other than calf roping. Paedophilia? How very bizarre.  :-\

Have to agree also. I felt I had stumbled into some surreal, highly unpleasant universe when I caught up with this post. I think the issue of gay men,and the possible cause of Jack's demise is contraversial enough. I hardly think that either Lee or Proulx wanted, intended or even implied anything else. It is not an idea I want to entertain even briefly.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2008, 11:14:16 am »

Well, I think that bull riding and calf roping are both pretty macho.  

Calf roping seems to be about precision (in terms of aiming the rope and timing in keeping up with the calf).  Bull riding is about making cooridnating movements (or counter-moves) on the back of the bull, or reacting to the bull's direction changes with your own body.  So, the skill sets are different for the two events too.  And, I do think Jack's probably right that calf roping is a lot more expensive since you use your own, well-trained horse.  A bull rider just needs his chaps, glove, spurs and bull rope.  The bull would be owned by a stock contractor and the selection of bull traditionally would be random (there are some PBR events now where the riders can choose their bull, but those events are an exception to the norm).

Amanda, as always, you put most of us to shame with your enlightening in-depth knowledge of the rodeo circuit.  I keep waiting for the day when they make you an on-air announcer at one of the events you attend.   ;D 

I am intrigued by what you said above, and had never really thought calf-roping would cost the rider more than it would cost them to ride bulls.  I always presumed that the horse had a proper owner (stock contractor, as you called it), and stable and all the care it needed, and the calf-roper just spent time training it from when it was young, and then riding it when there was an event.  Then again, I always presumed, that if the calf-roper/rider won an event, that he/she would split the winnings with the owner.  I don't know where I got these notions, but I'm curious now -- is it not done like that?  Please enlighten us some more when you get a chance!

Also, the second question is, if all you say is true, and was probably accepted as common knowledge in rodeo bars, what would lead that bartender to believe Jack had any extra money to pursue the more expensive sport?  Could it be as simple as the fact that Jack was generous enough with his money to buy Jimbo a beer?  Nah, it can't be that simple.  Any theories as to why?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2008, 11:23:44 am »
I am intrigued by what you said above, and had never really thought calf-roping would cost the rider more than it would cost them to ride bulls.  I always presumed that the horse had a proper owner (stock contractor, as you called it), and stable and all the care it needed, and the calf-roper just spent time training it from when it was young, and then riding it when there was an event.  Then again, I always presumed, that if the calf-roper/rider won an event, that he/she would split the winnings with the owner.  I don't know where I got these notions, but I'm curious now -- is it not done like that?  Please enlighten us some more when you get a chance!

I'm no way as enlightened on all things rodeo as Amanda is (in fact, I barely have a clue), but it's in the movie itself: Jack's response to the bartender "Do I look like I could afford a f*in ropin' horse?".
I always took this for face value: calf ropers own their own (expensive) horses.

Also, the second question is, if all you say is true, and was probably accepted as common knowledge in rodeo bars, what would lead that bartender to believe Jack had any extra money to pursue the more expensive sport?  Could it be as simple as the fact that Jack was generous enough with his money to buy Jimbo a beer?  Nah, it can't be that simple.  Any theories as to why?

Maybe Lynne is on the right track here: the bartender making a dig against Jack's rodeo abilities as well as his poverty (resulting from not being a good bull-rider in the bartender's opinion).

Offline optom3

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2008, 01:01:08 pm »

I'm no way as enlightened on all things rodeo as Amanda is (in fact, I barely have a clue), but it's in the movie itself: Jack's response to the bartender "Do I look like I could afford a f*in ropin' horse?".
I always took this for face value: calf ropers own their own (expensive) horses.

Maybe Lynne is on the right track here: the bartender making a dig against Jack's rodeo abilities as well as his poverty (resulting from not being a good bull-rider in the bartender's opinion).

I am pretty well in agreement with that. I always thought the bar tender was having a sly dig at Jack. Presumably knowing all the time he did not have the money, to do as suggested.It seems doubly cruel to me, as he is at the same time insinuating that Jack is both poor and a poor rodeo rider too.
I suspect in his time ,as with a lot of bartenders, he had seen most sorts and was pretty clued up, to Jack's financial situation and possibly even his sexuality. Jack's boots were pretty run down and would be a fairly clear indicator, that he was not flush with funds.

I think barmen/women are a bit like hairdressers, they get to hear and be told a lot.Particularly, the bar staff as alcohol loosens tongues.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2008, 01:27:03 pm »
Kerry: you say:      Paedophilia? How very bizarre.

Kerry: It might be bizzarre as you say, but doesn't paedophilia exist ?

It does exist in many cultures, as I noted in some which still prefers it as initiation or otherwise, plus aren't they clever in order not to be found? You know that don't you? Even in every country, there are some... it seems evident.

And, say, if not about paedophilia, why do you think that Jack is angry at the bartender's suggestion?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2008, 01:46:12 pm »
Amanda, as always, you put most of us to shame with your enlightening in-depth knowledge of the rodeo circuit.  I keep waiting for the day when they make you an on-air announcer at one of the events you attend.   ;D 

Heya,

Well, as far as I understand to be a calf roper you need to train with your one particular horse for a long time so that you and the horse are working in perfect timing together.  It's not the kind of human-animal communication/rhythm that could be transfered very easily by switching horses a lot.   In team calf-roping it's even more intricate because two people need to have similarly trained horses and the timing/rhythm between the two people as well as between the people and the horses.  It seems possible that a scenario could come up where a calf roper simply works with and trains one horse owned by a separate stock contractor (as long as the rider and the individual horse were well acquainted with each other I'd think that would be enough).  But, my bet is that it simply is easier or maybe more common to own your own horse (even it this option would be much more expensive).

In bull riding, the bull is meant to be a "surprise" or an unfamiliar animal to the rider.  That's the challenge in bull riding... every bull is different (has different moves, spins different directions, kicks high, kicks low, etc.) and the rider needs to adjust to all those differences with each new ride.  A bull rider would certainly never need to own a bull in order to participate in the rodeo circuit whereas a calf roper needs to own the animal they use.

So, it's sort of the opposite in calf roping, where it's pretty much essential to have the horse be the same and familiar. The horse in calf roping wouldn't be "rough stock" or a wild horse...  It would be a tame, trained horse.

Other horse events, like saddlebronc riding and bareback riding would involve a "rough stock" (or nearly wild/ untrained horse) and those horses could be owned by a separate stock contractor.  I assume that the element of surprise/change animal to animal is part of the challenge in those horse events, much like bull riding.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
Merci atz !

I just read your post, which somehow illustrates, to me, the reasons, why that bartendar was suggesting or telling Jack to become a         paedophile            !

Of course, that is like a secret code ? !

Au revoir,
hugs!