Author Topic: Is it better to have loved and lost?  (Read 14752 times)

injest

Re: Is it better to have loved and lost?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 02:35:18 pm »
Course it doesn't make sense, but you would be surprised how many people don't actually like who they are with.

I am so glad I am in a good relationship; I hope I never have to get back out there... :P

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:43 pm »
Course it doesn't make sense, but you would be surprised how many people don't actually like who they are with.

It wouldn't be any surprise to me, sadly. I also know what you mean about being sexually attracted to friends. We are animals after all, and we have the instincts. My friends, both female and male, I love to hug them, look at them, smell them. It makes me happy!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:39 pm »
Considering the original questions ....

'Is it better to have loved and lost?'.
The old saying, 'It's better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all', I think is true.
'Were Jack and Ennis cursed or blessed?'
If the saying above is true, they were blessed.
They were apart more than they were together, yet the love didn't die.
So, it wasn't just sex, or lust. They were friends who were also sexually attracted.
We can't be someone's friend without loving them, and we can't love someone without being their friend.
And if there is friendship AND sexual attraction (as distinct from sexual appreciation), that is being IN love.
Whether we are together or not.

I'd still rather wake up next to my best friend than a partner that I may love but not like very much.

And that is well said, Scott.  :)

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 10:47:25 pm »
Actually, I think it is better to love someone, and be 'with' them, but each have their own place to go back to.
Then, getting together can be much more fun.  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 08:52:47 am »
Actually, I think it is better to love someone, and be 'with' them, but each have their own place to go back to.
Then, getting together can be much more fun.  :)
agreed
this is how I want things to be when I find someone one day. I need my own space.

And back to the original question...there´s a part of me that says that it´s better "to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" but at the same time there´s nother part of me that says that I jsut want to avoid all that kind of emotional baggage. hard one.