Author Topic: Hello from a new friend  (Read 9036 times)

Offline exKinnearGal

• Don't Say Much
Hello from a new friend
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:55:08 pm »
I didn't find an official place to introduce myself but given the friendly nature of what I've read so far I feel confident that just posting a new thread with a bit of an intro here will suffice.

I've been hearing about your wonderful community for a few months now, Phil and John are old friends, and I finally made it in, found a comfy seat and thought I'd let y'all know I'm here.

As my screen name says, I used to live near Kinnear, WY.  Our mailing address, and our mail, came to the Kinnear post office but we lived about 11 miles past Kinnear off Hwy. 26 on 6 acres off a private dirt road.  We moved out there in May 2001 and left in August 2005.  As glorious as the Wind River Mountains are and as nice as the people out there were and as much as we miss some of our friends who live there, I'm glad to be back to what I call home.  Driving darn near 40 miles to grocery shop in Riverton at the Super Walmart was a BIT too far for me.  As was driving into Lander for Dr. and dentist appts., visits with friends (I lived for awhile in Lander while the other half lived out on our land on Nuts Flats as we call it...that's another story) and general needs for some sort of civilization.  Riverton just didn't do it for me so a trip across the rez to Lander was the norm for social activities, such as they were.

As for Wyoming as a whole, some parts of it are simply gorgeous. ALL of it is unique.  The people are for the most part good folks, even if some of them have their cowboy hats on a bit too tight.  :)  No offense to any Wyoming-ites in this community here, I would live there again if only it weren't so darn isolated for this small city gal.  The other half would still be out there if not for my unhappiness about living so isolated.

A bit about myself; I'm 51 now  ... wow... married, no kids and down to three cats.  One of them found us when we lived in Wyoming and is a story unto himself.  I'm originally from the Western NY area and call the Rochester, NY area home.  I'm a true Great Lakes gal I found out during the past 7 years when we were gone from here. After leaving WY we went to eastern OH, which was a nightmare, and this past May we finally returned home to the Rochester area.  I don't work outside the home, I'm a computer geek and have been in the online world since the early 80s.  I'm also a Ham Radio operator and all around nerd.  :)   I read a LOT and when I first moved out to WY I found Annie's stories in the second hand book store in Lander.  When I read Brokeback Mountain and then heard they were going to make a movie out of it I cheered, and I also KNEW there would be some fallout in the local area, as there certainly was.  Not everyone there felt that it, or any of her stories, were indicative of the "true" Wyoming yet I felt she hit it spot on with almost all of them.  Perhaps it had to do with seeing the place and the people from an outsider's point of view.

In addition to the techy toys and hobbies and reading I also enjoy creating with paper and pretending I'm an artist of some sort. I feel it's important to express myself and create SOMETHING on a regular basis.  I also dabble in a few other crafts here and there.  I actually have too many hobbies and once again as I moved I faced boxes of my stuff but couldn't throw any of it out.  I did do a massive clean out last year of all my old computers, I was collecting them (don't ask) and just about all of them are no longer with me.  That certainly cut down on the boxes when we moved this time!  However, I also love music, movies and have a fairly large collection of both, including my Dad's old 78 rpm records along with all my old vinyl.  I also listen off and on to old time radio shows, I like radio dramas especially, I'm a shortwave listener....again off and on.  I read...as I said... and have a fair number of books although recently I've sworn off Amazon.com and SFBC, although I'm still a member, and am back at the library weekly.  SciFi is my favorite read and has been most of my life.  I'm not much for the fantasy stuff but the hubby is. However, I will read most anything as the mood strikes me. I also like to game on the computer but I recently shut my EQ2 account off when we moved and have yet to open it back up.  Too much to do here now that I'm back among the living with friends and things to do.  I also enjoy some video gaming, mainly on my DS these days.

Why I'm here?  Phil and John told us all about the trip last year and about the community here and what the movie means to many of you.  I liked what I heard and thought I'd stop in.  I hope I'll enjoy my time here. I can be very verbose so thanks for reading my ramblings so far and I hope I picked the right place to post this.

injest

Re: Hello from a new friend
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:05:37 pm »
yep you are one of Phillips lot! (a joke....Phillip is equally longwinded...)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HI! I am Jess and I only write tiny short frivilous posts that dont' amount to a hill of beans but DO help run the post count up! (hey it is what I do best!)

;D

I have two 'pet' cats, an unknown number of dogs (do you count only the ones that sleep over or do the ones that show up every other day for dinner count?) more horses than we need, twenty eight fuzzy white chickens and a bunch of disgusting cows we dont' like to talk about...(ok I don't...)

so ANYWAY! welcome to Bettermost!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:33 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost, exKinnearGal!

(When I first saw your handle, I thought you might be a former fan of Greg Kinnear...)

Your words reminded me of Ang's, when he said that it took an outsider to show the cowboy West to America. 

I was fortunate to meet Phillip and John last year in Alberta:  they are two gems, indeed!

Paul

BTW, there is an official "Introduce yourself" thread:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31.1150.html

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:49:02 am »
It's great to have you here, exKinnearGal.  Like Paul, I thought you must have been a fan of Greg's, too!  ;D

Loved your description of your travels, especially Wyoming.  Most of us would love to live there, at least for long enough to get a real sense of the place.  I met Phil and John in Alberta, too.  Hope you can join us out there if and when we go back.  8)

I'm from New York, too--that big ol' city at the other end of the state.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:32:56 am »
It's great to have you here, exKinnearGal.  Like Paul, I thought you must have been a fan of Greg's, too!  ;D

Make that three. I thought the same ;D.

Welcome to BetterMost! :D
I was also raised in the city, but didn't like it there, always wanted to live in a more rural area. And that's exactly where I've lived for the last ten years now. Well, it's as rural as you get in Germany, but by Wyoming standards it'd still be densely populated :laugh:.

I've been to WY twice; only for two days last year and for a week this year. I blame it all on Annie Proulx ;D. Loved it there :).

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:50:35 am »
Hi

I'm Berit from northen Sweden.
I live in a small village. on my parents old dairyfarm with husband, son -the daughter has left for her own place - 5 cats and my mom, 85 years, 1 km from me. I'm a nurse at an old folks home.

I try to learn as much as I can about America and this is a good place to do that  :laugh:

Welcome to BetterMost

Berit

Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 06:46:57 am »
(When I first saw your handle, I thought you might be a former fan of Greg Kinnear...)

LOL. Me too--and I thought, "Why 'ex'? What did Greg do?"  :)

Welcome--and I will look forward to hearing about the cat who found you!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:59:01 am »
Welcome to BetterMost, exKinnearGal. 

Thanks for posting your introduction.  I'm a dog person myself, but I'm looking forward to hearing more about your cats, especially the one who found you.

Like you, I also enjoy playing around with paper.  I made cards as a hobby, and I have more paper and paper-crafting supplies than I'll probably ever use, but I keep buying more.  :)

I have to admit, unlike Paul, Meryl, Chrissi, and Shasta, I have no idea who Greg Kinnear is, but I'm guessing he's an actor or musician.

As you make your way around the different forums, you might want to check out the games in the ABCs & 123s forum.  We've got an "ABCs at the Movies" game going strong as well as an "ABCs of Brokeback Mountain" game -- now in Round 719!!!!  We're always looking for new players, so, if you're so inclined, check out the rules, check the appropriate answer list before posting -- the "New Archive" thread for the movie game and the "Words Played" thread (with the smiley face icon) for the latter -- and join our version of online fun and games.

Fran

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:14:24 am »
Welcome!

As my screen name says, I used to live near Kinnear, WY.  Our mailing address, and our mail, came to the Kinnear post office but we lived about 11 miles past Kinnear off Hwy. 26 on 6 acres off a private dirt road.  We moved out there in May 2001 and left in August 2005.  As glorious as the Wind River Mountains are and as nice as the people out there were and as much as we miss some of our friends who live there, I'm glad to be back to what I call home.  Driving darn near 40 miles to grocery shop in Riverton at the Super Walmart was a BIT too far for me.  As was driving into Lander for Dr. and dentist appts., visits with friends (I lived for awhile in Lander while the other half lived out on our land on Nuts Flats as we call it...that's another story) and general needs for some sort of civilization.  Riverton just didn't do it for me so a trip across the rez to Lander was the norm for social activities, such as they were.

As for Wyoming as a whole, some parts of it are simply gorgeous. ALL of it is unique.  The people are for the most part good folks, even if some of them have their cowboy hats on a bit too tight.  :)  No offense to any Wyoming-ites in this community here, I would live there again if only it weren't so darn isolated for this small city gal.  The other half would still be out there if not for my unhappiness about living so isolated.

No more lonesome ol' ranches for you, hunh?  ;)

Seriously, that was fascinating to read, since I had the opportunity to travel through the Wind Rivers from Riverton to Dubois and on to the Tetons on the "Roundup" this June. (Check out the "Roundup" threads over on the "Social" forum.) The Wind Rivers struck me as starkly beautiful, but, personally, I prefer the Absarokas and the Big Horns.

I think I saw that WalMart, since we stayed the night in Riverton!  :laugh:

Anyway, I suppose you noticed you have the honor of being our 1301st "resident," so congratulations and, again, welcome!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
For Fran: 

"She doesn't know who I am?"  *sob*

Greg Kinnear

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 02:45:05 pm »
I have to admit, unlike Paul, Meryl, Chrissi, and Shasta, I have no idea who Greg Kinnear is, but I'm guessing he's an actor or musician.

He was the Daddy in Little Miss Sunshine. Hey Friend, glad your here.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyH_twcMl0[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Fran

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:34 pm »
For Fran: 

"She doesn't know who I am?"  *sob*

But now I do, thanks to Paul, Truman, and IMDb!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:00:44 pm »
Hi there exKinnearGal and welcome!

Great first post!

I'm Kelda and I'm from sunny (ha bloody ha!) Scotland... I am also a cat owner  - to a fat black cat called Skimble who likes to be centre of attention. He is my favourite man in the house... Callum my boyfriend is a close second!  :P

Looking forward to lots more posts from you!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 08:04:05 pm »

LOL. Me too--and I thought, "Why 'ex'? What did Greg do?"  :)

Me, too!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I thought, boy, he must have pissed her off!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome ExKinnear and Berit!!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:49 pm »
Hiya EKG!  Nice to see ya here!  I'm Chuck.

Paul, when I first saw her name, I thought she used to DATE Greg Kinnear!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 09:10:12 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:51 pm »
His best part (to me) was as Jack Nicholson's neighbor in "As Good As It Gets". He was great!  I loved that movie---and Verdell, his little dog!!  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 08:59:09 am »

Greg Kinnear

Oh, so that's who Greg Kinnear is! I've seen him in movies, but didn't know his name.  ::)  He's a cutie!  :-*  I, too, loved him in "As Good As It Gets," Shasta.  :D

Pleased to meet you, exKinnearGal. I'm Kerry and I live in Sydney, Australia. Welcome to Bettermost!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 09:09:40 am »
He was the Daddy in Little Miss Sunshine. Hey Friend, glad your here.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWyH_twcMl0[/youtube]

I absolutely LOVED Little Miss Sunshine.   Alan Arkin, the heroine addicted grandpa, won an Academy Award for his role.  Everyone should see it.  Its a wonderful movie, and Greg Kinnear is fantasti!.  A must see.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:56 am »
Welcome to Bettermost exkinneargal. 

"Wants some coffee, don't you?  Piece a cherry cake?"

Offline exKinnearGal

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 12:33:39 am »
Well, well, Thank You all for such a nice welcome! Sorry I didn't see the official place to introduce myself. There's SO much here that I just did NOT go through it all.

Yes, after I saw all your posts I realized that some of you would think of the actor Greg Kinnear, since Kinnear is nothing but a post office, fire dept. (the nearest to us) and store/gas station that all lies between Riverton and well, next sort of known place on Rt. 26 would be DuBois, WY.  Although I would describe Kinnear as between Riverton and Crowheart on Rt. 26.  Crowheart has a post office so thus it's a "place" when it comes to WY anyway.  There's a big butte known as Crowheart Butte and the legend is that the Shoshone and Crow were up there fighting and the Shoshone chief cut out the Crow chief's heart and ate it.  Other than that there's the PO as I said, a fire dept.  and a store/gas station that also sells damn expensive ice cream and really good homemade dark chocolate (also not cheap but IMO worth every penny).  The hubby has been known to drive there for chocolate for me when I was feeling desperate ;)   The hubby used to work for the Northern Arapahoe Tribe, but that's another WY story, that's for SURE. And no, he's white, not American Indian.

Oh, and I LOVE As Good As it Gets and thought Greg Kinnear was wonderful in that movie as was dear Jack Nicholson along with Helen Hunt.

Among other things I do with paper I also make cards. I have WAAAAY too much paper and paper crafting products.  I've yet to unpack my room yet but gawd help us all when I do! I've been rubber stamping for 12 years and doing parchment crafting for over 8.  I don't scrapbook though.  I do like mail art but sadly never got as into it as I'd like to.  Someday.  But meanwhile I tend to collect stuff for all this, and then stuff sorta related to it.  Somehow I now have well over 200 paper punches.  That's another story. :)

Regarding the person who is from Germany; my hubby is also from Germany and I've visited that beautiful country, and other European countries, many times. I agree there's nothing quite as rural or wild as Wyoming there but there IS some gorgeous countryside. I dearly love Germany and do speak some rudimentary German.  He talked in his sleep in German when we first met, since he had only been in the US a few years at that time, so I had to know what he was saying ;)

I've been blessed to be able to travel a lot around the US and also other parts of the world.  John, the hubby, used to travel a lot for work in the 90s and thanks to frequent flyer miles I went with him a LOT.

Yup....  I've known Phil and John for a long time.  I came to the Rochester, NY area 20 years ago and met them not long after that.  I'm originally from the Niagara Falls, NY area and came here 20 years ago to marry someone I met online. It didn't work out but thankfully I met tons of great people here and some are dear friends still.  Plus I met John here.  And yes, I'm verbose and I highly doubt that will change after all these years.

I've never been to Alberta but hopefully someday. When we lived in WY I'd hoped to see some of the western parts of Canada but never made it up there.  Hopefully that will change at some point.

I was going to find the proper forum to share the following story but since I'm feeling lazy tonight, it's late for me and as you'll hear later, I'm a bit under the weather, I'm posting it here now.  I'll do better in the future.

The cat that found us in WY is creatively named No Tail as he has no tail.  We call him NT or Mr. NT.  I was in town (Lander) and John was out at our old place in Nuts Flats.  It was right after Christmas, the wind was, as usual, howling and the snow was blowing. We never got a lot of snow out there, Lander was always buried but out there it was just in the right spot that the real snow missed us.  But the wind howls year round.  It was cold, the wind chill was, according to our weather station, -30F.  John heard this horrendous yeowling sound.  He thought maybe it was Merlin, one of our previously indoor cats that just HAD to go outside when we got to WY.  We're not ones to have outdoor cats and none of ours currently are, including Merlin, but for about 3 years Merlin was outside more than in.  But it wasn't Merlin, he was in his box under the porch snoozing.  He opened one eye, looked at John, and went back to sleep.  John got a huge flashlight and proceeded further outside toward the yeowling.  We had a typical setup around our place, barbed wire to keep the cattle out, cattle guard at the end of the driveway to keep them out and a gate that if needed, we could close.  Between the driveway, such as it was, and the "yard" was a split rail fence with a gate and over the gate a ranch style ...  thing...  I have no clue WHAT they're called...  it's two poles vertically placed, one on each side of the gate, with another pole horizontally across the top.  Up on top was an elk head skull nailed to the cross beam.  It was there when we moved in.  Also up there at this moment was one cat howling and yeowling his fool head off.   John, who had gloves on, reached up to try to get him down (John is fairly tall) and the cat ran across the beam and jumped down onto the railing and then to John's feet.  John scooped him up and brought him up on the porch. The cat let him take him into the mud room and after John brushed the snow and muck and such off him he saw this weird cat, no tail with a huge head and one eye closed tightly shut.

John dried him off with a towel and the cat stopped howling and all that.  So he left him there, went and got some food and water and the cat ate and ate, then laid down on on a towel that John put on a blanket.  And that was that.  He was home.  We took him into the vet, had him checked over and so on. Nothing to do about his eye, it was a birth defect but the vet cleaned it out and the cat could then open it somewhat but it wasn't "right" although he can see some out of it.  We asked around but no one knew who the cat belonged to.  So we had him neutered and all his shots and he stayed outside with Merlin and they became buddies.  He was a fierce hunter and not too keen on people.  That Summer we found out where he came from. A ranch quite some miles from us.  The actual people who had him, they bred Manx cats, were the son and daughter in law of the people...who turned into good friends of ours...who owned the ranch and they had left that Spring for Texas.  They SAID they couldn't find NT when they left but we feel, from what we learned, that they bred these cats and that when they saw NT had the bad eye they just let him run because they knew they couldn't sell him.  The vet said NT was about 3 years or so old when he found us.  About a year after we found him/he found us he and Merlin ended up living in one of John's two work trailers (he had two old mobile homes that he used for his side business, one was real nice and was used as an office plus some storage of my STUFF, the other was just rather bare but heated and cooled and was used for electronic equipment storage).  This was because one of our "neighbors", who is a person we call friend but has some problems (Vietnam vet who came back a bit scrambled, sadly) suddenly got tired of Merlin coming around and said he'd shoot him if we didn't keep him away.  Hard for us to do after over 2 years of Mike allowing Merlin not only on his porch but in the winters inside on his couch and chair in front of his fire!  So we put them inside and let Mike have some cool down time.  But we never did let them out again. We did fear that the eagles would grab one of the cats and that'd be that.  Or some of the other wildlife, which we had a LOT of.

When we moved to Ohio both came into the house with us and are of course masters of their domain.  NT developed diabetes last Spring and we're still working to get it completely regulated. But he's one loving, cuddly cat who never fails to make us laugh with the odd ways he sits, lays and tries to clean himself. He has real short legs, a wide body and a big, wide head.  He can't throw his leg up over his head like most cats to clean his behind so he leans against the wall or in a corner and almost bends in half trying to clean.  And he also, get this, licks his paw and then cleans his ...uhemm...privates...with it and then licks and repeat.  Funnier than heck.  Today he had me in stitches. I have a battery operated clock that in our place here in NY that we recently  moved into I really haven't found a place for.  It's a wall clock and it's octagonal in shape and about 10 inches across.  The battery is in it and it has a second hand. It is sitting against a cabinet at the end of the hall as you go into our living room, on the floor.  This afternoon I heard NT meowing a couple times and then heard some rattling noise. I looked out the bathroom door where I was brushing my hair and there he his batting at the second hand as it swept across the face of the clock.  I started laughing and put my face in a towel and looked back out. There he was crouched by the clock watching it, then batting at it again, then finally looking around to see if he could see behind the clock.  He kept at it about 10 minutes and then gave up.  I wish I'd had a camera!

So...  it's late and enough from me once again.  I had a long evening and sadly missed out on an evening with friends due to some troubles I experienced with my screwed up spine due to lifting books that I shouldn't have over the past weekend. I have some health problems, including chronic pain, that sometimes piss me off and sometimes cause me to write more than usual because I've had to take some pain meds... like tonight.  :)

I promise I'll learn the forums better here and start posting in the appropriate places.  Once I unpack my desktop and don't have to use my laptop as my main computer it should be easier for me to spend more time at the computer.

OOOhhh...  and for a short time there I actually started to have a Wyoming drawl, as I call it.  My Dad was the first one that noticed it and asked me what was wrong with me.  I still find myself saying "set" instead of when the word "sit" should be used.  "I'm just settin' here at my computer"     Thanks again for the warm welcome and your patience with me. I bid you all a Good Night!

Offline Fran

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 01:32:10 am »
Over 200 paper punches?  I'm impressed.  I think I've got 40, but I haven't actually counted them.  :)

Thanks for posting about your NT.  I'd love to see a photo of him sometime.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 01:59:59 pm »

exKinnearGal!!!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 02:38:05 pm »
Enjoyed the story - would love to see pics etc too -
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 03:22:49 pm »
Welcome to Bettermost! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your life and experiences while in Wyoming, and more about you too! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.