Author Topic: OT: About 'Brangelina': Warning: NC-17 thread (I think)  (Read 15918 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT: About 'Brangelina': Warning: NC-17 thread (I think)
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 07:39:55 pm »
Ed is right! At my second childbirth, I started screaming (yes: screaming, not asking) for epidural the moment I reached the hospital. I swear, I literally screamed to the doorman (!) for an epidural before I told my name. This was the only childbirth I had an epidural.

Penthesilea,

So you did not have Epidural for your first born.  Wow, you are a brave woman :).  Most the women I know may not have Epidural for their 2nd or 3rd child because they have already advanced pass the window to use Epidural. 

I know all the women who gave birth before there was even Epidural are going to roll their eyes, but I just can not imagine not having that.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 07:46:07 pm »
Not from my own direct body experience, but as a doula I have been at births where the women loved giving birth with no drugs - I just want to acknowledge that.  Most births I've been to, there were drugs, but a few (not many) were truly ecstatic no-drug births.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 08:57:12 pm »
Not from my own direct body experience, but as a doula I have been at births where the women loved giving birth with no drugs - I just want to acknowledge that.  Most births I've been to, there were drugs, but a few (not many) were truly ecstatic no-drug births.

As with everything where parenting (and anything else of importance) is concerned, you just gotta do what feels right for you.

I had three different close friends try to talk me into going drugless beforehand.  One was a NICU nurse, one was a doula, and one was someone who'd had two drug-free births that were good experiences.  The first two had had both their kids sans drugs themselves, so they did practice what they preached.

But I knew myself and my extremely low pain threshold.  And I knew my husband and his squeamishness.  I wanted him to be there only because I feared he'd regret it if he wasn't - all the Dads do it these days, dontcha know.  For myself, I could have done it alone no problem.  To this day I'm very thankful I had one done.  I honestly don't believe I could have pushed properly through that pain.  I was dry-heaving (and I'm not someone who gets nauseous easily normally) into a bucket, it was so intense.  Took me totally by surprise.  Others had told me how this, that and the other might, uh, give way during it all, but that never happened.  I just thought I was gonna barf.  It worked perfectly - I could feel and move my lower abdomen and legs - it just took the edge off the pain but I could still feel the pressure.  That was all I needed.  I think I would have been hysterical if it had continued on like it had been before.  And that would have been bad for Will, bad for Ed and bad for me.

But I know women who swear by doing it drugless.  Power to them.  I don't feel like less of a woman for my choice (and I know you're not in any way implying that, Clarissa - I've just known women who've wondered if they should have tried it without), and I don't regret it one bit.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 09:16:09 pm »
I don't feel like less of a woman for my choice (and I know you're not in any way implying that, Clarissa - I've just known women who've wondered if they should have tried it without), and I don't regret it one bit.

Good for you barb.  Most of the mothers I know were and are still grateful for medical science and epidurals.  Going through the transcendent experience of excruciating, nauseating pain was something they were very happy to do without so they could focus on the birth and their baby.

To each their own.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 10:43:55 pm »
On epidurals, and other pain-minimizing technologies:  Bring it on!!!!  I think epidurals are a gift, same with antibiotics, safe anaesthesia, sterilization and lots of other medical evolutions that have allowed us to die a little older and a little less scarred.

My husband refuses novocaine in the dentist's chair.  This is really, really weird to me -- yuck, it certainly upholds the stereotype of "ze German who does not vhine!"  (He's German.)  (Swabian in fact.  The land of No Complaining.)  I think that's absolutely, positively nuts.  Now, upon pressing him, I discovered that he had a bad reaction to a novocaine shot in his teens -- half his face swelled grotesquely -- quite scary.  This gets me a little closer to understanding.

So, in addition to "Bring it on!" I second the notion of "To each his/her own."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2006, 12:52:49 am »
My husband refuses novocaine in the dentist's chair.

Heh, for a minute there, henrypie I thought your husband was one of 'those'.

From the movie 'Splash'

Eugene Levy as   Walter Kornbluth is sitting in the dentist chair, torturing himself over the suffering the mermaid is undergoing due to his actions.

When offered novocaine, he refuses, "I don't deserve it."
Dentist:  "Oh, you're one of those...."  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2006, 01:07:54 am »
I just posted my last post out loud to have a so far unrepresented experience represented.  It sounds like you know that.

No novocaine.  My teeth would probably have to fall out rather than go through that.  I guess he won't be complaining about our guest room mattress in August.  (Just kidding, it's actually quite new and comfortable.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:44 am »
My feeling was, I've been taking drugs all my life -- why would I stop now? So I had epidurals both times. But the first time it didn't really "take," and it was pretty unpleasant. For a lot of reasons besides pain -- more difficult birth in general, bad-old-days high-tech medically delivery room, foreceps, endless pushing, etc.

The second time, I was in one of those birthing rooms fixed up to look like a luxury hotel room (same hospital! that's the difference 17 months made in the mid-'90s). My husband and I sat up all night watching '60s sitcoms on Nickelodean, relaxing, me not completely comfortable but not in agony, and the next morniing when it was time for my son to come he popped out like a spit watermelon seed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 07:22:24 am by latjoreme »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 06:13:10 am »
From the movie 'Splash'

Eugene Levy as   Walter Kornbluth is sitting in the dentist chair, torturing himself over the suffering the mermaid is undergoing due to his actions.

When offered novocaine, he refuses, "I don't deserve it."
Dentist:  "Oh, you're one of those...."  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Del, this is one of my favourite movies and now I'm gonna have to go watch it again..
Chut up!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2006, 12:02:46 pm »
Ooh, what about Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors?  Is that right?  He's the mean biker guy who loves it loves it loves it?

My husband, who has said he has no problem with my using his name by the way -- it's Ruediger -- wanted me to stress that he DID have novocaine for wisdom tooth-extraction (I had GENERAL for that -- well, nitrous, mmmm) and I guess fillings until he was 19 when an army dentist told him he was really going to need novocaine and did a bum job and turned Ruediger off forever.

Ruediger!  That's his name.

You know what's funny to me?  Ruediger does not complain much, but he whines and carries on like the third act of Tosca when he has to take cough syrup or NyQuil.  He is SUCH a baby in that regard.