Author Topic: get out and VOTE!!!  (Read 12641 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: get out and VOTE!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 01:27:52 pm »
no. I posted your ENTIRE post....that comment was another post entirely.

the post I referenced is HERE:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22495.msg403663.html#msg403663

and the partial post you are referencing is HERE:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22495.msg403661.html#msg403661

OK, but what I printed was the post I was referring to when I mentioned the media.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 07:12:20 pm »

Isn't healthy political debate amongst friends, in a free and open, egalitarian society, a WONDERFUL thing!  :D

And though most of what you're talking about is a mystery to little ol' Aussie, me, it is still wonderful to think we can engage in such debate, when, in so very many oppressed parts of the world, one could be imprisoned, or even lose one's life, for expressing one's beliefs.   :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 07:42:46 pm »
I'm amazed at how some people won't vote.

I vote in each election, even if it's a small town mayoral one, or presidential.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 08:19:36 pm »
the barriers to voting in the US are not so high that non felon adults 18 or older can not vote. if people chose not to vote, then that is entirely their choice and should be respected and not chastised, or criticized.

I entirely prefer our system in the US of non compulsory voting, lets remember that in the Soviet Union they had voting participation rates of 99%, so massive voting is not necessarily a sign of a healthy society.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 08:29:36 pm »
the barriers to voting in the US are not so high that non felon adults 18 or older can not vote. if people chose not to vote, then that is entirely their choice and should be respected and not chastised, or criticized.

I entirely prefer our system in the US of non compulsory voting, lets remember that in the Soviet Union they had voting participation rates of 99%, so massive voting is not necessarily a sign of a healthy society.

I believe it should be chastized at least.  It is a duty to vote.  This is a country supposedly run by the people.  But if its own people choose not to vote...what kind of message is that sending?  I won't criticize - unless of course, people complain about the government but they didn't bother to vote.  ;D 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 08:30:18 pm »
Thanks for posting the info about the early suffragists, Del.  And thanks Kerry for the info about compulsory voting in Australia - that's an interesting idea to contemplate.  I kinda think the answer should be somewhere in between - I think voter turnout here is abysmal, but it would be better if people actually felt enfranchised - meaning that they felt it actually mattered...I think the indifferent Americans would just pull random levers instead of paying a fine.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 08:44:22 pm »
I believe it should be chastized at least.  It is a duty to vote.  This is a country supposedly run by the people.  But if its own people choose not to vote...what kind of message is that sending?  I won't criticize - unless of course, people complain about the government but they didn't bother to vote.  ;D 

it is most definitely not a duty in a democratic society to vote. voting is an option which may or may not be exercised by the citizen.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 08:49:06 pm »
Voting is a right.

If you vote, you can complain when your candidate doesn't win or when things go wrong. Or you can work harder to try to change things the next time.  If you stay home on election days, you should keep your mouth shut and take what you get. Or change your ways the next time.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 09:10:23 pm »
it is most definitely not a duty in a democratic society to vote. voting is an option which may or may not be exercised by the citizen.

I consider it a civic duty, like jury duty or obeying the laws even though no one is there to enforce them.  As Americans in a republic, we participate in the running of things so our society can work.  We default on those duties, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 09:10:53 pm »
Voting is a right.

If you vote, you can complain when your candidate doesn't win or when things go wrong. Or you can work harder to try to change things the next time.  If you stay home on election days, you should keep your mouth shut and take what you get. Or change your ways the next time.

Yes.