Author Topic: The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 15959 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Last Time You Watched Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:12:39 pm »
Thanks for all these interesting replies Buds!

LOL, I still laugh at myself because almost everytime I look at the DVD rack to consider a movie to watch (on whatever given evening) I always, without fail, seriously consider watching BBM.  And, I also almost always consider the fact that whatever non-BBM movie I pick really isn't as good as watching BBM.

For me, I probably watch it about once a month in its entirety.  And, yes of course, I look at specific scenes sometimes when thinking about BetterMost threads and questions.  It would truly be impossible to count the fragmentary viewings I have all the time.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:19:23 pm »
The last time I watched was with...you, my friend! In Ten Sleep, Wyoming! I'll watch the movie again when the mood is right, hope that will be sometime this fall.

I'm looking forward to my next ascent of Brokenback Mountain, and placing a little feather in the cache. Maybe scattering some ashes. That would be a good time then, I think.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 08:32:49 pm »
I last watched it with Amanda and RouxB and Elle when y'all visited Seattle.  And I want to watch it again pretty soon.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:37:59 pm »
I said July...was that when Bravo aired it?

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 10:53:36 pm »
I watched it Aug 4th in L.A. and it was, once again, joyful (blissful really) beautiful and exciting-almost like in the good old days. I was finally at peace and just wallowed in my love of it and Heath and Jake and Ennis and Jack.

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 11:35:55 pm »
I watched it Aug 4th in L.A. and it was, once again, joyful (blissful really) beautiful and exciting-almost like in the good old days. I was finally at peace and just wallowed in my love of it and Heath and Jake and Ennis and Jack.

Roux, it's so great to hear this!   :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:15 am »
I last watched it in May and will probably next watch it in a fortnight or so. I feel the need coming on.

I have never watched parts of it or fast forwarded through parts. Whenever I put it on, I watch it in its entirety. I love every bit of it and still cry, though not always in the same places. For example, when last I saw it, I was completely brought undone when Ennis climbed the stairs to Jack's childhood bedroom, in the Lightning Flat scene. The sight of Ennis, burdened with such deep sorrow, tragically trudging solitarily up those stairs to meet his fate, was simply too much for me to bear.  :'(

Like most everyone else, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen it. Couldn't even has it a guess.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:55:57 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 10:48:42 am »
I last watched it in May and will probably next watch it in a fortnight or so. I feel the need coming on.

I have never watched parts of it or fast forwarded through parts. Whenever I put it on, I watch it in its entirety. I love every bit of it and still cry, though not always in the same places. For example, when last I saw it, I was completely brought undone when Ennis climbed the stairs to Jack's childhood bedroom, in the Lightning Flat scene. The sight of Ennis, burdened with such deep sorrow, tragically trudging solitarily up those stairs to meet his fate, was simply too much for me to bear.  :'(

Like most everyone else, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen it. Couldn't even has it a guess.

It is funny how you cry in different places after the first viewing. I frequently cry at the motel scene now and where they jump off the cliff into the water.It is because I know now, that it is the the last time they are together, when there can still be some hope for a more permanant relationship.We have not had the Earl and Rich tale, which pretty well signals the the beginning of the end.

I never thought when I first saw the film, that all this time later,I would still sit and watch it and sob.I now no longer know who or what I am crying for.Is it Jack and Ennis, is it Heath, or is it for myself ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:57:25 am by Kerry »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 12:00:30 pm »
It is funny how you cry in different places after the first viewing. I frequently cry at the motel scene now and where they jump off the cliff into the water.It is because I know now, that it is the the last time they are together, when there can still be some hope for a more permanant relationship.We have not had the Earl and Rich tale, which pretty well signals the the beginning of the end.

I never thought when I first saw the film, that all this time later,I would still sit and watch it and sob.I now no longer know who or what I am crying for.Is it Jack and Ennis, is it Heath, or is it for myself ?

I've often wondered this myself. I am certain that one of the primary reasons why BBM has had such a profound impact on me is because I can see so many aspects of my own life in it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 12:06:51 pm »
I've often wondered this myself. I am certain that one of the primary reasons why BBM has had such a profound impact on me is because I can see so many aspects of my own life in it.

I think that is exactly right.It is a universal tale of regrets, roads not travelled and missed opportunities.
The Heath element is just another layer,a very big missed opportunity.A life cut short, which was showing so much promise is hard to deal with.