Author Topic: Bug Cuisine  (Read 25939 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Bug Cuisine
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:23:14 am »

Bug Cuisine

David George Gordon, a biologist and writer from Seattle, is the author of the Eat-a-Bug Cookbook, a collection of recipes for grasshoppers, ants, water bugs, spiders and more. Gordon and David Gracer, another chef specializing in insect cuisine, recently held a cook-off at a food fair in Richmond, Virginia.

In many countries around the world, insects are a regular part of a well-balanced diet.

With the global livestock sector responsible for 18% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, insects offer an easily sustainable option for food. They require little room and few resources to grow, and yet they contain great amounts of protein and other nutrients.

So, do tell, would you be happy to chow-down on tasty Orthopteran Orzo and succulent Tarantula   Tempura? Yep, that’s right, folks, creepy crawly spiders sautéed just the way you like ‘em!

Click the link below to view the full, mouth-watering menu . . . . . if you dare!
  :o

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

Re: Bug Cuisine
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:41:25 am »
oh gggggeeeerrrrroooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssss!!

yuck!

double yuck!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:59:00 am »
oh gggggeeeerrrrroooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssss!!

yuck!

double yuck!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You suuuuure I can't tempt you, Jess!   ;)   ;D

:laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:09:31 am »
You suuuuure I can't tempt you, Jess!   ;)   ;D

:laugh:

Eww! Yuck Kerry! :P

What ever made you post something like THIS?!! :laugh:

Ugh! :P

They sell deep fried grasshoppers and crickets at the Indiana State Fair. I've never tried any of them. But I just thought it was because people in Indiana are weird! :laugh:

But apparently many others do it too. Just look at that picture up there! Yuck! :P :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:58:53 am »
Eww! Yuck Kerry! :P

What ever made you post something like THIS?!! :laugh:

Ugh! :P

They sell deep fried grasshoppers and crickets at the Indiana State Fair. I've never tried any of them. But I just thought it was because people in Indiana are weird! :laugh:

But apparently many others do it too. Just look at that picture up there! Yuck! :P :P

:laugh:  I was going through some back issues of Time magazine the other day, David, when I came across the article about the bug food fair in Richmond, Virginia.   :(  I wasn't sure if I should post it or not.   ???  It certainly is very gross. :P   But there are other gross food-related threads here, so I figured this'd probably be in good company haha.  :laugh: Should I delete the yucky food pic and just leave the funny pic of the woman attempting to eat the food? What should I do?   ??? 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:10:47 am »
:laugh:  I was going through some back issues of Time magazine the other day, David, when I came across the article about the bug food fair in Richmond, Virginia.   :(  I wasn't sure if I should post it or not.   ???  It certainly is very gross. :P   But there are other gross food-related threads here, so I figured this'd probably be in good company haha.  :laugh: Should I delete the yucky food pic and just leave the funny pic of the woman attempting to eat the food? What should I do?    ??? 

No! Please leave it up there Kerry! We're morbidly intruiged by it. :laugh:

At least I am. ;D

I can't stop looking at it for some strange reason.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:32:00 am »
No! Please leave it up there Kerry! We're morbidly intruiged by it. :laugh:

At least I am. ;D

I can't stop looking at it for some strange reason.

If I went to someone's house and saw that on the counter? I would be like EWWW!! do you not have an exterminator?? Clean your house more often!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:51 am »
If I went to someone's house and saw that on the counter? I would be like EWWW!! do you not have an exterminator?? Clean your house more often!

;D ;D ;D There is a programme on the food network with Andrew Zimmerman, think that is his name.He travels the world eating the most gross "food" items imaginable.
When my husband was on tour in HongKong playing hockey, they asked to be taken to a really authentic restaurant.There they were served deep fried worms, and some things so gross I will not mention them.He was also treated to some equally, to our palate revolting food items in Saudi.He had no option but to eat them there, as it is really offensive to the host to refuse!!!

In England there is an insect food club where people meet once a month to consume meals consisting entirely of insects, including chocolate dipped, locusts.YUM YUM I can feel my mouth watering as I write, NOT !!!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 09:52:09 am »
Personally, I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would even consider  eating insects. Yetch.  :P

Even if all meat - beef, lamb, pork - were to be banned tomorrow, I would happily eat fruit, vegetables, berries, nuts, grains, bread, rice, pasta, etc., rather than consuming insects.

Had I visited that food fair in Richmond, Virginia, my cynical, skeptical, suspicious mind would have immediately suspected the bug chefs were having a little joke at their clients' expense. I would have been looking around for the candid cameras  and insisted on seeing THEM eat some of their own concoctions before considering trying any of it myself. And even then, I still wouldn't try it.  :(  I'm just not an adventurous eater, I guess.  ::)

I figured most everyone would have the same reaction as me, but I was curious to find out if there was anyone here who would actually seriously consider eating bugs and if so, why? Anyone? ???   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »
Speaking  for myself,the only time I would eat bugs, would be if I was abandoned in the middle of nowhere,with absoloutely nothing else to eat and I do mean nothing.I would rather bash a snake and eat that than insects.
I really would have to be on deaths door and desparate though.