Author Topic: Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain  (Read 33355 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain
« on: February 10, 2006, 03:55:20 am »
Here's your chance to put down your thoughts and feelings about Brokeback Mountain.  Start a new topic with your own story.

I personally saw the film about two weeks ago, having gone into the theater totally unprepared for what would happen to me on the way out.  The emotional reaction many around me seemed to have was based on what was happening right up on screen.  Tissues were passed, people seemed reluctant to instantly dash out of the theater, as if time was needed to compose oneself, and I didn't notice much conversation, as if people were numbed.

Usually I have a reasonable handle on my feelings and am in touch with them, but this movie did a number of me overnight.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I was coming down with a bad case of Brokeback Mountain Flu.  The symptoms: Red and tearing eyes, depression, somnolence, inability to concentrate, sleeplesness, diminished social skills, distraction, and a yearning to research the film and find other sufferers.

The morning after while taking a shower, I just fell apart.  Sure I felt for the characters in the movie and their story, but what had me going was the realization that various scenes of that movie had been playing in my own life.  We often compartmentalize the negative things in our life, saying we'll deal with it later or perhaps come to realize there is nothing we can do about it so it's not worth worrying about.  Time can heal all wounds, but a movie like this can tear all of those wounds open again in an instant.

By the following day, I was up at 5:00am, unable to sleep, and had to get out of bed just to find something to distract myself.  The gnawing feelings this movie was generating within me were not to be ignored.  It actually became quite frightening to me to be so out of control and not sure what was going to come next!

By the end of the week, a trip to the countryside and wide open country spaces were, of course, just reminding me even more of the film.  It's almost as if you could bump into any of these characters at the rural market or country store, or watch them pass by in their beat up trucks as they live their daily lives.

Yeah, Brokeback Mountain got me good and I can't quit it either.

There's some Jack and Ennis inside of me, and having it all up on the big screen, so big you can't look away, with nothing to distract you in a darkened theater, you're forced to watch.

Jack's ability to fight convention and demand that the emotional connection between them be allowed to grow and thrive and his extreme frustration with the ever-enigmatic Ennis reminded me of my own annoyance with friends who can't understand my Oprah-like emotional epiphanies and are even less in touch with their own feelings and emotions.  Ennis' fears about committing to Jack and taking concrete action to actually move in with him and commit to the relationship are reminders of my own relationship, complete with excuses given to mask fears of change and the unknown.  And ultimately, the realization 20-years too late of what could have been but never was brought it all home to me.  Wasting time drudging about doing things that don't fulfill your dreams, compromising your own happiness and fulfillment by living a lie, and losing the things that mean the most affects a lot of us.  Some might call it the "mid-life crisis," but it can hit at anytime.

It suddenly dawned on me that all of this emotional energy I was feeling could be channeled to more productive use.  Why not actually insist on making some changes that put me closer to fulfilling my goals and completing the things that would make my life better.  So here I am, trying to seek out others who are on the same path (or would like to be), so that we can share our ideas, support each other, and also have some tools available to us to track our progress.  More on that in the next forum down.

Brokeback Mountain may be the movie that changes my life.  I am so thankful I am realizing that I am not alone.  After we are done pouring our hearts out, maybe we all need to resolve to make this more than just a great movie - it deserves to be a spark that sets off the changes we have dreamt about making but never have.  We owe it to Jack and Ennis.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline wayne1932

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 12:12:07 pm »
Phillip,

You have just about said everything that can be said.   

We all have a little of Ennis or Jack in us.

Moving on should be the story here, after the tears.
If it aint broke DON"T fix it.   If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it. If ya can't stand it...........

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:00:32 pm »
Phillip,

Like you I held out seeing Brokeback Mountain until late. I'd been on an emotional roller coaster for a couple of months with lots of stress from work, home, and life in general, but every time my partner wanted to see it I put him off.

After probably the most emotional day in the last year, yesterday, out of the blue I suggested we see it last night. I'm glad and sad after a day's reflection. There were probably 20 or so people in the theater last night and not one person got up at the end. It seemed that here too people needed time to compose themselves before leaving. The ending was "shock and awe" for both of us. My partner was as stunned as I was, we knew it had a sad ending but weren't prepared for what we had to take in.

Today it stirred up a lot of emotions in me, before meeting my partner 13 years ago I'd dated a city version of Ennis in grad school. As close as we were, he was afraid of any commitment, and despite that this was the late 1980's the worst thing to me was that he wouldn't acknowledge even to himself or to me that he was gay.

I thought of that relationship in relation to Jack and Ennis's, when we were together it was so intense, but he kept that part of his life so compartmentalized from the rest looking back there was no way it could have worked. After he finished grad school I broke it off, and though he was hurt and only moved 3 hours away I never saw him again. For my own sanity I vowed at the very least to never date anyone with more hangups than I had about being gay. It took a few years for the pain to heal, but I grew from that experience and met the wonderful amazing person I am with today.

Ironically I'd done a lot of reflecting on my own life over the weekend before seeing Brokeback Montain, thinking about the parts of my life that aren't working like they should. I'd decided to stop living a lie about the aspects of my life that aren't what I'd pretended they are.

It seems I'd already started down some unknown path before I saw the film last night, but like you I was struck afterwards with what to do with the emotional energy dredged up by Brokeback Mountain. Channeling it into growth and change as you suggested is an epiphany, almost as if Brokeback Mountain was made specifically to catalyze some growth and change within us.

Thank you for creating this space where we can connect, reflect, and move on down our own trails of personal growth.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:36:43 am »
. Channeling it into growth and change as you suggested is an epiphany, almost as if Brokeback Mountain was made specifically to catalyze some growth and change within us.

I TRULY believe too....as you do Flatim....that this growth and this change is helping us ALL to blossom.  Thank you for sharing this wonderful reflection with us.  I smiled as I read it!! 

Much Love....Nancy
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:51:40 am »
It seems that I heard about a "gay cowboy movie" somewhere on the Internet probably during the last week of December 2005.  Since the subject seemed intriguing, I started researching on the Internet.  A great hobby and a great distraction from the Chronic Major Depression that I am on Social Security Disability for.  I ordered the book, "Brokeback Mountain  -  Story to Screenplay" (which contains the short story, the script of the movie AND 3 essays by Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana) [HIGHEST RECOMENDATIONS!] and the Original Soundtrack from amazon.com.  But I couldn't wait and I found the short story on the Internet in a RTF (Rich Text Format) file.  I had to use a dictionary to get through it but it just totally wiped me out.  I cried and cried for days.  This tragic story just ripped out my guts - a foot at a time.  I read the story on January 7, 2006 and immediately started journaling about it to try and find WHY this story has hit me so hard.  I have been in Psychotherapy since 1989 and I haven't cried this much since my mom died right in front of me in 1988.  My illness restricts my ability to travel so I had to wait until January 23, 2006 to see the film for the first time in a theater that was close enough for me to travel to.  I was glad that the theater was filled with just a few people, women mostly.  I probably missed half of the visuals because I couldn't see the screen through my tears.  Ultimately, I have seen the film 5 times.  I can't go anymore because my attempts to stifle my crying have become audible enough to irritate anyone around me.   I can't wait for the DVD to come out.  I pre-ordered it as soon as I read Annie's story.

The only film that I have seen more is "The Wizard of Oz" which I fell in love with when I was a small child.   I have a fondness for classic movies so I have seen Casablanca and the ilk many times - but NOTHING IN THE WORLD has affected me so much since my mom died.  I rarely go to modern movies. I don't like all of the cursing.  And most modern movies don't have plots like the classic movies did.

Brokeback certainly has the most poignant plot that I have ever experienced.   I guess you would call me absolutely obsessed with this film and the story.   They need each other to REALLY get the most out of it.  I started ravishly collecting photo's and video's and Mp3 files.  My favorite two pictures are the ones of Jack being held by Ennis on Brokeback Mountain.   I have printed them and a few other favorites.  I have NEVER been affected like this before.  (I also really don't want it to end.)

The only sad thing is that I have lost my best friend of the last 9 years, Polly, who read the story twice and loved it and she drove us to my second viewing on January 26.  I had to sit a couple of seats away from her so my crying wouldn't disturb her too much.  I learned the words to "The Maker Makes" and since it is in my key, I pulled myself together enough to sing it to her during the closing credits.  I am an amateur musician and just LOVE the movie's score.  I thought Polly would love the film as much as I do because we are so much alike.

WOW was I wrong.  The film hit her own psychogical issues with her late mother and her husband.  On the way back home she "critiqued" it in a way that just crushed me.   I told her to stop but she couldn't or wouldn't.   I finally told her to stop the car and let me walk back to my apartment (a few blocks).  I have had no contact with her since then.  She called 3 times and emailed me but I just ignored it.  I guess I in a state of emotional high maintenance that only my psychotherapist can help me get through.

As I have said in other forums, I am Ennis and so was my dad.
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 11:02:57 am »
Nancy,

Thank you for your note. Luckily I grew up in a place and time that allowed me to be the person I am, though not without some struggle.

I was talking with a friend who was 13 in 1963 and grew up in rural Indiana. The thing that he identified most with the characters in the movie was the oppression he felt growing up in the country in the 1960s.

We need to remind ourselves how fortunate many of us have it today.

Warm regards.

Tim

Offline strazeme

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 03:50:27 pm »
I'm hurting so bad I can hardly stand it, almost makes me wish I'd never opened to door to BBM.  This film made me aware of a profound emptiness in my life .. I'm so lost and alone ... and I don't even have shirts.  I've cried so much, literally, more than in my entire life.  Everything has been so bottled up inside, I've lost touch with myself.  So now, when I try to remember if I ever had a dream of a bluebird-whisky spring, I have no idea where to go with my new awareness.  My life is just on auto-pilot, going through the paces, but now I have to deal with it ... and I feel deeply wounded.  Looking for clue, I've tried to replay all my past, asking whether there was ever a time I was really happy, really felt love, and I've decided I'm far worse off than ever.  Because now I know it, and it won't go away.  Thanks for listening, just writing it out seemed helful.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:40:54 pm »
Dear Straz....

So very glad you've joined us here.  This is TRULY the place to share that sadness...it's a safe haven for ALL of us!!  We've all cried, and are STILL crying as we share this emotional upheaval with one another here.  You're NOT alone with those feelings...trust me.  I'm a straight little old grandma...and my life has been impacted FOREVER by this story.  Don't be afraid to open that door....you are safe here with us. 

Just a little aside....I thought I was done with all the sobbing and the feeling of such great sadness.  I am...in a way....because NOW when I cry it's with a feeling of JOY and happiness that this story has opened up for me and others here on our forum. 

Hang in here with us...:::taking your hand::: You're safe here!!     

and WELCOME to our 'haven' 

Nancy

p.s.  Philip....can you direct STRAZ to your "5 stages" plz?  I don't yet know how to post from another forum to THIS one!! 

"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:34:30 am »
Strazeme,
I want to echo BBMGrandma and also extend my own welcome to you.  You are not alone.  We all seem to be at some point in those '5 Stages of Grief' that Phillip posted.  And remember that they are not necessarily sequential or linear.  I saw the movie again tonight and each viewing I feel some different area has been opened and exposed to pain while some other part may feel more healing love.  Let's work through these feelings together.
Lynne
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 03:44:13 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 12:11:49 pm »
Strazeme,

Know that you are not alone, welcome. Like you I've been carrying a lot of feelings bottled up inside me that were unleashed this week after the Oscars and finally seeing the film on Tuesday (it is still playing here so I AM going back to see it again before it leaves). 

The crashing feelings I've had this week were the painful reminder to me that I do have the capacity to feel and that  I need to feel things much more than I have been. The emotional dust bunnys we sweep under the bed only get bigger if we ignore them. It is a lesson I've had to re-learn every so often throughout my life.

The thing that has sustained me this week is knowing that when I've been in this place before, as painful as it has been, I've moved past it and grown as a person. It is hard to deal with pain, but it made me reexamine my life and make the changes to have the things I truly wanted.

If only Ennis had been able to do so.