Author Topic: Your Funeral  (Read 15890 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Your Funeral
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:12:35 pm »

Your funeral. An unlikely and inappropriate thread for us happy folk here at Bettermost, you may think? And yet, it comes to us all, one day; death. It's part of the human condition. It is an integral aspect of what makes us people - "Bettermost People."

Some people plan their funerals in minute detail. Others figure they won't be here anyway, so why not just leave it to the family to organise.

I personally believe that funerals are for the living, not the dead. It's an opportunity for the living to formally farewell their loved ones and attain closure.

A lot of us give thought to the kind of funeral we feel would be appropriate for us. Be it the pomp and solemnity of a Roman Catholic Requiem Mass or a New Age scattering of ashes onto the waters of the ocean at dusk.

Would your funeral be a traditional event with everyone dressed in black in a traditional place of worship, such as a grand cathedral? Or would you prefer to have a joyous celebration of life, where all your loved ones come together to laugh and remember all their happy memories of you?

What form would you like your funeral to take? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: Your Funeral
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:15:30 pm »
Holy shit Kerry........this one is heavy...... :o :o
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:40:59 pm »
When Mom died, we had the funeral at the church. It was a very typical Roman Catholic Funeral Mass - white pall over the casket, incense, the whole nine yards. Since Mom wished to be cremated, we rented the casket. But here in the US they require the deceased to be placed in some sort of container for the cremation, so she was transfered into a simple wooden coffin at the crematory after the funeral was over and that is what she was cremated in. Several days later we took her ashes to Crown Hill Cemetery and interred them in a mausoleum. Dad's ashes will be placed in the vault next to her after he passes away. He also wishes to be cremated. So Mom's funeral was quite traditional and I suppose Dad's will be as well.

I like the idea of a traditional Catholic funeral also, so I guess I'd also like a Funeral Mass with some sort of party afterwards. Not one of those typical get togethers where everyone snacks on tiny sandwiches and cries, but an actual party. Maybe a pool party or something. They could maybe talk about me and have a few good laughs at my expense. I'd like that! :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:17 pm »
I never really thought about it, but I would want something simple.

One day memorial service, and have my ashes scattered on a mountain somewhere.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:48:27 pm »
What I have found about funerals, is that they end up being more of a reunion, because people who havent seen one another for a long time, turn up at them. The sad thing about that is that the person who connects all these people, is not there to enjoy the reunion as well.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:30 pm »
What I have found about funerals, is that they end up being more of a reunion, because people who havent seen one another for a long time, turn up at them. The sad thing about that is that the person who connects all these people, is not there to enjoy the reunion as well.

and they all say the same thing!  "It's a shame it took something like this for us all to get back together again."

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:23:38 pm »
When Ive been to a funeral, I often feel that protocol and tradition take over what it is really all about. Like  when everyone goes into the church, and then the principal mourners are walked up the aisle like they are on display as all eyes are upon them.

And then to have a member of the clergy, who nine times out of ten does not even know the person who has died, just makes it very impersonal.

I do like the idea of playing music that relates to the person, I think that brings their presence more to the occassion, and thoughts of good times often bring a smile, or some tears, but they are usually good feeling tears.

And I dont think people should dress up in clothes that the dead person, would probably not recognise them in anyway. I like the way, the young ones wear jeans and black is not necessarily the colour of the day.

injest

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:59:57 pm »
When Mom died, we had the funeral at the church. It was a very typical Roman Catholic Funeral Mass - white pall over the casket, incense, the whole nine yards. Since Mom wished to be cremated, we rented the casket. But here in the US they require the deceased to be placed in some sort of container for the cremation, so she was transfered into a simple wooden coffin at the crematory after the funeral was over and that is what she was cremated in. Several days later we took her ashes to Crown Hill Cemetery and interred them in a mausoleum. Dad's ashes will be placed in the vault next to her after he passes away. He also wishes to be cremated. So Mom's funeral was quite traditional and I suppose Dad's will be as well.

I like the idea of a traditional Catholic funeral also, so I guess I'd also like a Funeral Mass with some sort of party afterwards. Not one of those typical get togethers where everyone snacks on tiny sandwiches and cries, but an actual party. Maybe a pool party or something. They could maybe talk about me and have a few good laughs at my expense. I'd like that! :laugh:

not at your expense at all. just wait..you will be up there in Heaven and hear all your friends crying and giggling....(crying because they will miss you and giggling about God having to put rails around the clouds cause you are prone to falling and that is a LOOONNNNGG drop!)

at least til you get used to the wings...

;)

injest

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:01:15 pm »
When Ive been to a funeral, I often feel that protocol and tradition take over what it is really all about. Like  when everyone goes into the church, and then the principal mourners are walked up the aisle like they are on display as all eyes are upon them.

And then to have a member of the clergy, who nine times out of ten does not even know the person who has died, just makes it very impersonal.

I do like the idea of playing music that relates to the person, I think that brings their presence more to the occassion, and thoughts of good times often bring a smile, or some tears, but they are usually good feeling tears.

And I dont think people should dress up in clothes that the dead person, would probably not recognise them in anyway. I like the way, the young ones wear jeans and black is not necessarily the colour of the day.

at my aunts funeral the preacher said that she was a whore and good thing she turned to God that last year...

>:( >:(

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:02 pm »
Injest, was that really said by him?