Author Topic: A new folk here....  (Read 18231 times)

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
A new folk here....
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »
And get rid of this thread quickly if you want to!

But.....

I have been reading here and there quite a bit on this wonderful site.

Just curious.  Is it so normal to have so many folks advocating an anti-gl view?

I mean, wow....I come on and see so many folks (and yes, I agree such as political views, etc) having dissenting views.  But they don't talk about how those views make a difference in the lives of those G/L on this board.  They talk about their opinions, like this is just an everyday board for such talk as political discussion, social issues, etc....sometimes really denigrating the issue of gay rights.

Help me out David.

I guess this place (as interesting as it is), allows talk against such.

It's such a GRAY LINE.

Why do some post here, who so obviously disagree?  Not to say the discussion isn't interesting, but gosh......their views are SO obvious!

<grant me grace....I'm new and learning>

Vi

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: A new folk here....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:39:49 pm »
I think it's complicated Viper. Most of us were brought here because of a movie called Brokeback Mountain which in my opinion is very pro gay. Actually many of us started posting over at the BBM board on IMDb, but as you well know, trolls run rampant on IMDb so Phillip created this forum where we could post without the threat of troll harassment. Some of our members came here from other Brokeback Mountain forums such as EnnisJack and Dave Cullen. And other more recent members watched the movie long after it's release and then found Bettermost.

So I think it is very safe to say that most if not all (and I truly believe all) are gay friendly people here. Some of us are gay and lesbian, others have gay members in their family or are friends with gay people, and some simply feel that gay people are just like everyone else. That's not to say this is a gay forum. It's not. I think in part it is a gay support forum as well as a place to discuss the film, make new friends and have fun.

As far as the political views here, like I said, I think everyone here wishes only the best for the gay community but I also think it goes deeper than that. We have members here from all parts of the country and the world and everyone has opinions as to what is most important in this election. Some feel gay rights are the most important and others think the War on Terror or the economy take precedence. I guess some people think John McCain will do a better job overall, and others like myself feel Barack Obama would be a better choice. :)

Jess? Shasta? You both are McCain people. What do you think?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:22 pm »
Viper, roughly half our members here are straight women. :)

Actually I think it might be more than half. :D

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:33 pm »
Viper, roughly half our members here are straight women. :)

Actually I think it might be more than half. :D

David....TY for your reply, and you know via pm somewhat of what I think. 

I'm a "straight woman" too.  That's not the issue.

It has to do w/ reality, life, experiences, kids who are such, gay kids.....especially for those "straight women".....why else are they posting?  WHY are they posting?

David.....would some of the posters who spend so much time here HUG or revile their child if they were Gay/Lesbian.
Do they?

I wonder about many.

Please, strike this if I'm being too aggressive, but my gosh....

I wonder.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:15:50 pm »

David....TY for your reply, and you know via pm somewhat of what I think. 

I'm a "straight woman" too.  That's not the issue.

It has to do w/ reality, life, experiences, kids who are such, gay kids.....especially for those "straight women".....why else are they posting?  WHY are they posting?

David.....would some of the posters who spend so much time here HUG or revile their child if they were Gay/Lesbian.
Do they?

I wonder about many.

Please, strike this if I'm being too aggressive, but my gosh....

I wonder.

Oh I'm sure any member here would hug their gay child. I'm absolutely certain about it.

One thing we must remember when reading posts, is there is no voice inflection. Many of these posts would sound very different if we could actually HEAR the person say it rather than read it. I've found myself a victim of this on many occassions. I'll read a post, feel offended by it, and then I'll think about it for awhile and realize the person really didn't say anything wrong or hurtful at all. I was just reading it wrong. :)

There are some very strong emotions over in that political forum. I've tried to stay out of there but for some reason I keep getting pulled back in! :laugh:

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 11:34:43 pm »
Oh I'm sure any member here would hug their gay child. I'm absolutely certain about it.

One thing we must remember when reading posts, is there is no voice inflection. Many of these posts would sound very different if we could actually HEAR the person say it rather than read it. I've found myself a victim of this on many occassions. I'll read a post, feel offended by it, and then I'll think about it for awhile and realize the person really didn't say anything wrong or hurtful at all. I was just reading it wrong. :)

There are some very strong emotions over in that political forum. I've tried to stay out of there but for some reason I keep getting pulled back in! :laugh:

Perhaps because on those political forums folks show their true beliefs?  So, it's hard to deny how they feel about the issues?

Sorry David, and many HUGS to you.

I just wonder about why some folks post on these forums.  If they are touting such beliefs on the political forums that are totally against what the purpose of this board is for, I guess.......it makes me wonder about their intent.

Vi

Edit to add:

Perhaps I need to have a clearer perspective of the original purpose of these boards?  Perhaps I'm off base?

TY.

Vi

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:39:43 pm »
Well some of our McCain supporters are actually gay men! I can think of three. That's why I said I think our members are considering many different political issues, not just the ones relating to gay marriage or gay rights.

I think maybe some people here think gay rights probably wouldn't matter at all if terrorists took over the country. I'm not CERTAIN that is what they are thinking. I'm just using it as an example. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:43:43 pm »

Edit to add:

Perhaps I need to have a clearer perspective of the original purpose of these boards?  Perhaps I'm off base?

TY.

Vi

Well I think the ORIGINAL purpose was to create a place where we could talk about Brokeback Mountain and not have to worry about those awful trolls. But it has grown into a much broader forum over these past few years. We talk about all kinds of things here, a little bit of everything really.

Right now there seems to be a lot of political discussions here. Several months ago you wouldn't have seen so much political related stuff. :)

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:26 am »
David, I just see some here supporting those who are opposed to G/L rights.

Sorry.  I just don't understand those who supposedly hug their gay and lesbian kids "frequently and fervently" supporting, politically, those who would dictate hate upon them.

Help me out here.

injest, I'd love your story for me (perhaps in pms -- and mine to yours).

I just don't "get it".  This supporting those in power who would HATE those who you propone to "hug frequently and fervently".

TY

jmo

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:09:38 am »
David, I just see some here supporting those who are opposed to G/L rights.

Sorry.  I just don't understand those who supposedly hug their gay and lesbian kids "frequently and fervently" supporting, politically, those who would dictate hate upon them.

Help me out here.
Can't help you! But I do stand up and actively support equality for one and all, proudly! Amen.
"chewing gum and duct tape"