Author Topic: Purity Balls  (Read 20520 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Purity Balls
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:35 pm »
Purity Balls

Striking back against a “Girls Gone Wild” culture, many fathers and daughters are choosing a much different path.

Fathers across the U.S.A. are promising to protect their daughters' virtue until marriage.

Founded in 1998 by Randy and Lisa Wilson, the Purity Ball focuses on the idea that a trustworthy and nurturing father will influence his daughter to lead a life of "integrity and purity."

Click here to view Time magazine’s fascinating photo essay.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1822906,00.html?iid=redirect-purity

Share your thoughts about Purity Balls with us.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

Re: Purity Balls
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:10:13 am »
first response?

ICK!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:47:42 am »
first response?

ICK!

I had very mixed feelings about it. I can see where many fathers would have the very best of intentions. Having said that, however (and I'm not proud to admit this thought crossed my mind), I found a lot of the pics in the Time photo essay to be somewhat unsettling.  :-\ 

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:53:44 am »
I had very mixed feelings about it. I can see where many fathers would have the very best of intentions. Having said that, however (and I'm not proud to admit this thought crossed my mind), I found a lot of the pics in the Time photo essay to be somewhat unsettling.  :-\ 

uh yeah...

and where are the boys? Are boys not worthy of their fathers protection?

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:05:04 am »
Hell of a point, Jess, exactly.  If no one keeps track of boys in their family + community and urges them to keep it in their pants, HELLOOOOO...

injest

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:02 am »
yep, not only are they the main thing that endangers the 'purity' of the girls...how many teachers have we heard lately that are molesting young men? Dad? where are you?

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 05:27:27 am »
Typical double standard.  The boys don't need protecting because to screw around is a "rite of passage" and how they become men.  However, if a girl does the same thing, she's 'soiled' and therefor not a 'good girl'.

::)

And can anyone else see this destroying families?  Fathers become overprotective of daughters, daughters can't stand being smothered and rebel.  How?  By having sex.  Then the fathers feel like failures because they weren't able to "protect" their daughters' purity.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:48:43 am »
I suspect the fire and brimstone crowd are behind it all.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:26:21 am »

Tiny Dancers
After the dancers' performance, two men stand in front of a cross holding up two large swords, points crossed, under which both fathers and daughters will walk together.
(caption to the pic, from the Time site)

Understood that not all Christians are from the fire and brimstone crowd, but in this context, I'd say You bet!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:03 am »

considering they're dancing around a cross.....

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:37 am »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 09:19:33 am »
An excerpt from the above linked article:

"When Kylie was 13, her parents took her on a hike in Lake Tahoe, Calif. "We discussed what it means to be a teenager in today's world," she says. They gave her a charm for her bracelet--a lock in the shape of a heart. Her father has the key. On my wedding day, he'll give it to my husband," she explains. "It's a symbol of my father giving up the covering of my heart, protecting me, since it means my husband is now the protector. He becomes like the shield to my heart, to love me as I'm supposed to be loved."

A modern chastitiy belt; the key given from one owner to the next - all symbolically of course. :P

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:38:17 am »
There is something about the whole thing that makes me feel a little sick in the stomach.

I can understand the fathers mean well in protecting their daughters, but somehow I feel that it is a little self righteous and overpowering.

I often wonder how these girls react to sex when they finally do get married.

And it does reek of double standards as far as the boys go, as has been mentioned here.

I dont know, Its hard to knock a parent for looking out for the well being of their daughter, but something about this approach, just doesn't look right to me.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:08:24 am »

You wanna take your what, and put it where?!?!?!?!?

and I'm supposed to like it?!?!?!?!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 10:43:37 am »
You got it Chucky..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 01:17:47 pm »
OK, I first read this as "Purty Balls". 

Boy, was I wrong.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:33:13 pm »

You can take that to the bank! The event in the photos took place in Colorado Springs, CO, which is a hotbed center of the right-wing socio-religious conservative movement. I think Focus on the Family has its headquarters there, or one of those groups anyway.

A father-and-daughter bonding opportunity seems like a lovely idea, but his whole business of guarding the daughter's virtue and purity--purity!--the language of it!--just seems so retro and melodramatic and Romantic--and not Romantic in a good way.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:34:07 pm »
and where are the boys? Are boys not worthy of their fathers protection?

An excellent question - I wish the author of the article had thought to ask it!  I would've been very interested to see the responses.

There is something about the whole thing that makes me feel a little sick in the stomach.

Yes, it's making me flat-out nauseous.

A modern chastitiy belt; the key given from one owner to the next - all symbolically of course. :P

Exactly, Chrissi!  "Owner" is really what is meant by all this "protector" talk.  Ugh.  If these men really want to "protect" their daughters, they can start by educating them so they can protect themselves!  

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 02:12:16 pm »
OK, I first read this as "Purty Balls". 

Boy, was I wrong.

"damn, you got some right purty balls!"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »
Hell of a point, Jess, exactly.  If no one keeps track of boys in their family + community and urges them to keep it in their pants, HELLOOOOO...

Yeah, that approach is one of the best if what you want to do is harvest a nice big crop of absent fathers in a few years.

I find the "couple" on the left in that first posted photograph especially disturbing.  If fact, it looks like a pedophilic re-enactment of the Dozy Embrace.

Not to mention the sly lechery implied in "Purity Balls."  Who does daddy in that context want his property daughter to save herself for?  Himself?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
You wanna take your what, and put it where?!?!?!?!?   

and I'm supposed to like it?!?!?!?!   

ROFL!  Reminds me of that intense sixth-grade girl talk among certified daughters of Dixie......

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:39 pm »
There was an article about these Purity Balls in the New York Times a few months ago (in fact, from the pictures, it looks like the exact same event). It doesn't really say anything different than the Time article but it just reinforces the ick factor of the whole creepy event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/us/19purity.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 03:26:47 pm »

Maybe their mothers tell them to just close their eyes and think of England, or the U.S., or Australia, or wherever. ...  ::)

I dont know, Its hard to knock a parent for looking out for the well being of their daughter, but something about this approach, just doesn't look right to me.

"When Kylie was 13, her parents took her on a hike in Lake Tahoe, Calif. "We discussed what it means to be a teenager in today's world," she says. They gave her a charm for her bracelet--a lock in the shape of a heart. Her father has the key. On my wedding day, he'll give it to my husband," she explains. "It's a symbol of my father giving up the covering of my heart, protecting me, since it means my husband is now the protector. He becomes like the shield to my heart, to love me as I'm supposed to be loved."

No, it doesn't look right. The whole thing just reeks of a reactionary throwback or desire to return to the time when a woman was "the weaker vessel" and the property of her father until she became the property of her husband. Property litterally.

I have to think this is not conducive to raising a daughter to be a strong, self-sufficient, independent person.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:15 pm »

No, it doesn't look right. The whole thing just reeks of a reactionary throwback or desire to return to the time when a woman was "the weaker vessel"

Just for the record, I have never ever ever been a weaker vessel! LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »
Just for the record, I have never ever ever been a weaker vessel! LOL

Nobody would ever make that mistake about you, Honey!  ;D  :-*

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 03:52:47 pm »

"damn, you got some right purty balls!"

Yeah, that sounded like an interesting topic to me!  That's why I came to this thread!   :laugh:

And then I got here and saw....

Fathers across the U.S.A. are promising to protect their daughters' virtue until marriage.

Which sounds more than just a little creepy.

And then I read...

Typical double standard.  The boys don't need protecting because to screw around is a "rite of passage" and how they become men.  However, if a girl does the same thing, she's 'soiled' and therefor not a 'good girl'.

If the father's are protecting the girls, then  who are the boys going to screw around with? ???

Oh, yeah!   ;D

But then,

It kind a makes the girl sound like property - like she doesn't have a brain or a will of her own.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »
Great topic Kerry, but yup, it gives me the ick factor too!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
If the father's are protecting the girls, then  who are the boys going to screw around with? ???

Oh, yeah!   ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 06:21:02 pm »

I found it quite disconcerting when I first read about it, but thought the alarm bells I was hearing in my head may have had something to do with my own cynical, jaundiced view of life. It was interesting for me to read the comments from both male and female BetterMostians, verifying my initial view.

In their defense, the fathers who belong to the Purity Balls movement, probably also belong to such organisations as Father & Son. As I have no knowledge of the inner workings/philosophy of F&S, however, I regret my inability to comment on whether or not they are concerned with preserving the boys' "purity," which appears to be the primary underlying philosophical premise of PB.

One can't help but wonder if a lot of what's behind this is the parents (for I have no doubt that this also has the support of the mothers) looking out for their own interests, comprising of generous dollops of good ol' fashioned "What would the neighbours think?" if, heaven forbid, the daughter should ever "fall" pregnant.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:08 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Kerry, whether it was as much about the parents reputation, that was being protected.

And, I think the thing that makes me nauseaus is that in that picture, the girls seem to be no more than little children, who seem far too young to be having their "purity" discussed or put on display. Makes you wonder what is going on in their childish, naeive minds and how they are interpreting it all.

UGH!!!....why cant they let children be children.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 06:48:09 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Kerry, whether it was as much about the parents reputation, that was being protected.

And, I think the thing that makes me nauseaus is that in that picture, the girls seem to be no more than little children, who seem far too young to be having their "purity" discussed or put on display. Makes you wonder what is going on in their childish, naeive minds and how they are interpreting it all.

UGH!!!....why cant they let children be children.

Sad but true, Sue. Childhood seems to be getting shorter and shorter, these days. I remember my father saying to me, "Enjoy your childhood while you can, 'cause you're going to be an adult for a looooooooooong time." Good advice, Dad!  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Wayne

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:58 pm »
 :laugh:  I just like the name Purity Balls.   :laugh:
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Katie77

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:03 pm »
:laugh:  I just like the name Purity Balls.   :laugh:

Im surprised they even use the word "balls" in their family conversations......

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 07:03:37 pm »
I know... I can't resist thinking of that AC/DC tune...   ::)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 07:07:24 pm »

I prefer Paul's version - Purdy Balls!  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:45 pm »

I have found lately that it is not only the 'fire and brimstone' crowd that think of women and girls as subhuman...

injest

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 07:26:04 pm »
You can take that to the bank! The event in the photos took place in Colorado Springs, CO, which is a hotbed center of the right-wing socio-religious conservative movement. I think Focus on the Family has its headquarters there, or one of those groups anyway.

A father-and-daughter bonding opportunity seems like a lovely idea, but his whole business of guarding the daughter's virtue and purity--purity!--the language of it!--just seems so retro and melodramatic and Romantic--and not Romantic in a good way.  :(

whore, pig, trained seal; what difference does it make? sexism is sexism....no matter who says it. and I have found as I said there is plenty of it in all parties and religions. (Hatred of women seems to be the only thing the world can agree on)

injest

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 07:28:09 pm »
Yeah, that sounded like an interesting topic to me!  That's why I came to this thread!   :laugh:

And then I got here and saw....

Which sounds more than just a little creepy.

And then I read...

Oh, yeah!   ;D

But then,

It kind a makes the girl sound like property - like she doesn't have a brain or a will of her own.

trained seals and pigs have brains??! I don't think so.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »
whore, pig, trained seal; what difference does it make? sexism is sexism....no matter who says it. and I have found as I said there is plenty of it in all parties and religions. (Hatred of women seems to be the only thing the world can agree on)

Wow, now you know I love you more than the koala in the eucalyptus tree outside my window, Jess, but that sure is a mighty sweeping statement.  :o 

Speaking as a gay man, who has suffered persecution directly as a result of my sexuality, I can think of at least one other group of universally hated and reviled people to add to you existing list of one.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 10:23:38 pm »
Wow, now you know I love you more than the koala in the eucalyptus tree outside my window, Jess, but that sure is a mighty sweeping statement.  :o 

Speaking as a gay man, who has suffered persecution directly as a result of my sexuality, I can think of at least one other group of universally hated and reviled people to add to you existing list of one.  :'(

Gees, I love her more than Vegemite, and thats why I am not going to get into another discussion with Jess,  on this subject........  :-* :-*

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:37 pm »
I agree that this completely engages my *squick* factor...The very idea of entrusting a young woman's purity (!) to the father to me reminds me of the days of chastity belts and compelled marriages and chattel.  It's very sad because I don't think the basic idea - a father protecting his daughter/child from the world and from growing up too fast - is a bad one, but the language it comes wrapped in and the social movement espoused makes me cringe.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »

Seems like it would make a good drag name, doesn't it?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:33 pm »
Well, it's not only sexist and involves ridiculous gender based double standards, it's also completely homophobic (this may seem too obvious to even bring up).

But, this assumes that the all the girls will grow up with the desire to date/ marry men.  And, obviously the whole gay marriage issue throws a wrench into the "wait until marriage" idea for gay girls.  (Again this seems too obvious to even bring up).

I can imagine scenarios like the "purity ball" culture probably force lots of teenage lesbian girls deep into some kind of closet where they end up going along with conventions and behaviors that have nothing to do with their own desires or personality (and only have anything to do with parental expectations).

And, what if a straight girl grows up and wants to remain independent?  Why force anyone into marriage?  Things like this make it seem like an  artificial institution forced on kids by their parents (society, etc.), at least with in "purity ball" society.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »

I'm glad to know I made a real impression on somebody.  ;D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 10:53:16 pm »
Well, it's not only sexist and involves ridiculous gender based double standards, it's also completely homophobic (this may seem too obvious to even bring up).

But, this assumes that the all the girls will grow up with the desire to date/ marry men.  And, obviously the whole gay marriage issue throws a wrench into the "wait until marriage" idea for gay girls.  (Again this seems too obvious to even bring up).

I can imagine scenarios like the "purity ball" culture probably force lots of teenage lesbian girls deep into some kind of closet where they end up going along with conventions and behaviors that have nothing to do with their own desires or personality (and only have anything to do with parental expectations).

And, what if a straight girl grows up and wants to remain independent?  Why force anyone into marriage?  Things like this make it seem like an  artificial institution forced on kids by their parents (society, etc.), at least with in "purity ball" society.

Preaching to the choir, darlin'  :-*.  There's no question in my mind that this sort of mindset is damaging to all girls and young women and probably especially so for young lesbians.

I highlighted the text in your post above that IMO defines marriage at any rate.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:20 pm »
Preaching to the choir, darlin'  :-*.  

Thanks Lynne! :)  
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 01:01:28 am »

Wasn't Purity Balls a character in Gone With the Wind?  (Or was it The Scarlet Letter?)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 01:06:56 am »

They're evangelicals (at least most of them). Fire and brimstone crowd, like Kerry noticed at the beginning of this thread. I think the evangelical view on homosexuality is well known. :P
I'm always sorry for their kids, but I think it's worse for the girls than for the boys - and I don't even want to imagine what a kid would have to go through if it grew up gay. :(

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 01:19:42 am »
Sorry that I'm not reading the whole thread.  No time tonight.

But this OP just struck me as simple/funny.

They are called "chastity belts"!  lolol

Yup, let's take women back to medieval times.  That'll make all well!

hehe.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 09:31:34 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:16 am »
And then I read...

Oh, yeah!   ;D

I grew up when the double standard was still the norm, and that's one thing I never could figure out. But here's another question:

If there's something that's not harmful for you (in this concept, sex outside of marriage for men) but is harmful and/or wrong for someone else (i.e., sex outside of marriage for women), then how can it be all right for you to convince that other person to engage in it with you?  If you have no problem keeping alcohol on an occasional social level, for example, how can it be all right for you to talk an alcoholic into having a few drinks with you?

In other words, if sex outside of marriage is so wrong or harmful for women, how can anything other than same-sex contacts outside of marriage be okay for men?  Somehow, I don't think the daddies in those pictures had thought of that.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »
I grew up when the double standard was still the norm, and that's one thing I never could figure out. But here's another question:

If there's something that's not harmful for you (in this concept, sex outside of marriage for men) but is harmful and/or wrong for someone else (i.e., sex outside of marriage for women), then how can it be all right for you to convince that other person to engage in it with you?  If you have no problem keeping alcohol on an occasional social level, for example, how can it be all right for you to talk an alcoholic into having a few drinks with you?

In other words, if sex outside of marriage is so wrong or harmful for women, how can anything other than same-sex contacts outside of marriage be okay for men? Somehow, I don't think the daddies in those pictures had thought of that.

I have no way of knowing, but I'm guessing they give their sons the same advice?  ???

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 08:28:11 am »
I have no way of knowing, but I'm guessing they give their sons the same advice?  ???

I don't know what sort of advice devotees of the double standard give their sons today.  But in the Victorian era, the attitude about sex reflected quite a lot of hate and revulsion about the body.  Sex was obviously necessary for reproduction, but was thought to be part of the male's "lower nature", which females largely didn't share.  A woman was expected to accommodate her husband sexually because 1) that was the way to conceive children and all women were assumed to want to be mothers and 2) it was the wife's responsibility to provide a sexual outlet. 

Even as late as the 1950s and early 1960s, boys were taught that there were two kinds of girls, and one of Scarlett's suitors in Gone with the Wind (book version) summed it up perfectly: "a good girl to court and a bad girl to have fun with."  Of course, the "bad girls" were considered to be both disfunctional and disposable.

Before that, I'd guess the central idea was breeding and paternity.  That is, if the wife screwed around the husband might have to end up raising a child that wasn't his and possibly make that child his heir.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2008, 08:45:17 am »
Talking about double standards......

I remember when our son was 15......we got a knock at the door, there stood a bloke about our age, who asked if Paul was our son.....we said yes.....He said, "your son has been having sex with my daughter". We were shocked, and told him we would talk to our son. 

When we did discuss it with Paul, he told us that SHE had seduced HIM. She was a year older than he was.

I remember afterwards, my hubby said.....I didn't know whether to kick him up the arse, or pat him on the head.......

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2008, 10:13:42 pm »
Talking about double standards......

I remember when our son was 15......we got a knock at the door, there stood a bloke about our age, who asked if Paul was our son.....we said yes.....He said, "your son has been having sex with my daughter". We were shocked, and told him we would talk to our son. 

When we did discuss it with Paul, he told us that SHE had seduced HIM. She was a year older than he was.

I remember afterwards, my hubby said.....I didn't know whether to kick him up the arse, or pat him on the head.......

Yes, double standards, indeed.

When I was 9, a family from the country moved into our quiet, seaside, Sydney suburb. They had one daughter, Barbara, who was my age.

I was a very young 9 year old, whereas Barbara was 9 going on 42.

At every opportunity, Barbara would endeavour to get us alone, where she would quickly undress and insist that I do the same. This was the 50s, television was brand new, and I wouldn't hit puberty for another 4 years. At age 9, I wasn't even experiencing sexual thought for boys, let alone girls*. The love of my life was my beloved German Shepherd dog, Toots.

Barbara systematically terrorised and brutalised me. I was terrified of her. And though there were other kids in  the street with whom we played, somehow Barbara always managed to get us alone. 

When, after many months of such abuse, I finally took a stand by avoiding all contact with her (I would literally run in the other direction whenever I saw her in the street), she spread the word that I had initiated the contact with her. I know, because two long-standing friends came and told me, and in so doing, advised me that they didn't believe her and that I was still their friend (they were both girls).

Now I look back, I can see that poor Barbara was probably being abused at the time, I suspect by her father, and was acting out with me.

I have since raised this with male friend, always advising how traumatic it was for me at the time. Universally, there have been two very predictable responses. My gay male friends usually bluntly tell me to "Get over it!" with no sympathy whatsoever. And my straight male friends invariable exclaim gleefully, "Wow, you got lucky!"

* And still haven't - for girls, that is.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2008, 10:39:48 pm »
Yes, double standards, indeed.

When I was 9, a family from the country moved into our quiet, seaside, Sydney suburb. They had one daughter, Barbara, who was my age.

I was a very young 9 year old, whereas Barbara was 9 going on 42.

At every opportunity, Barbara would endeavour to get us alone, where she would quickly undress and insist that I do the same. This was the 50s, television was brand new, and I wouldn't hit puberty for another 4 years. At age 9, I wasn't even experiencing sexual thought for boys, let alone girls*. The love of my life was my beloved German Shepherd dog, Toots.

Barbara systematically terrorised and brutalised me. I was terrified of her. And though there were other kids in  the street with whom we played, somehow Barbara always managed to get us alone. 

When, after many months of such abuse, I finally took a stand by avoiding all contact with her (I would literally run in the other direction whenever I saw her in the street), she spread the word that I had initiated the contact with her. I know, because two long-standing friends came and told me, and in so doing, advised me that they didn't believe her and that I was still their friend (they were both girls).

Now I look back, I can see that poor Barbara was probably being abused at the time, I suspect by her father, and was acting out with me.

I have since raised this with male friend, always advising how traumatic it was for me at the time. Universally, there have been two very predictable responses. My gay male friends usually bluntly tell me to "Get over it!" with no sympathy whatsoever. And my straight male friends invariable exclaim gleefully, "Wow, you got lucky!"

* And still haven't - for girls, that is.

this is exactly why I get so angry when judges give female teachers that molest boys light sentences or no sentence at all. They act like there is no way a male could feel violated or hurt.

>:( >:(

in the eleventh grade a girl put a pic of herself in D's locker...she was in her underwear.  >:(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2008, 10:54:25 pm »
this is exactly why I get so angry when judges give female teachers that molest boys light sentences or no sentence at all. They act like there is no way a male could feel violated or hurt.

>:( >:(

in the eleventh grade a girl put a pic of herself in his locker...she was in her underwear.  >:(

Yep, I agree. Fact is, they are predatory paedophiles. Simple as that. Under the law, they should be sentenced as such.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2008, 01:29:27 pm »

So Sad....

:-\
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2008, 01:37:10 pm »
As the mother of a 16-year-old boy, I can vouch for the fact that girls today are very aggressive and prey upon boys much like it was the other way around in the '50s and '60s. And if they don't get their way with the boys, they boast and lie about getting them anyway! That is why he has dumped girlfriends, and sticks to sports these days.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2008, 01:45:46 pm »
girls today are very aggressive and prey upon boys . . . and if they don't get their way with the boys, they boast and lie about getting them anyway!

Well, what's good for the gander . . .

It's been going on in the other direction for — how many years?  Decades?  Centuries??   I mean, personally I'm sorry for you and your son, but the fact is that present circumstances hardly even begin to make up for the fact that men & boys have forever gotten the proverbial "free ride".   

::)   :P

injest

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2008, 01:58:48 pm »

It's been going on in the other direction for — how many years?  Decades?  Centuries??   I mean, personally I'm sorry for you and your son, but the fact is that present circumstances hardly even begin to make up for the fact that men & boys have forever gotten the proverbial "free ride".   

what is frustrating to me as a parent was the attitude I got when I objected to some of the crap. I wasnt 'with it'...I was 'too old fashioned'. I had people tell me that my son was going to get into drugs and go wild cause I was too tough on him.  ::) ::)

so I guess they thought I should let him do drugs and sleep around so he wouldn't go out and do drugs and sleep around when he left home? does that make any sense at all?

oy!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »

Two wrongs don't make a right.  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν