Author Topic: Purity Balls  (Read 20303 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Purity Balls
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
You wanna take your what, and put it where?!?!?!?!?   

and I'm supposed to like it?!?!?!?!   

ROFL!  Reminds me of that intense sixth-grade girl talk among certified daughters of Dixie......

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:39 pm »
There was an article about these Purity Balls in the New York Times a few months ago (in fact, from the pictures, it looks like the exact same event). It doesn't really say anything different than the Time article but it just reinforces the ick factor of the whole creepy event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/us/19purity.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 03:26:47 pm »
I often wonder how these girls react to sex when they finally do get married.

Maybe their mothers tell them to just close their eyes and think of England, or the U.S., or Australia, or wherever. ...  ::)

I dont know, Its hard to knock a parent for looking out for the well being of their daughter, but something about this approach, just doesn't look right to me.

An excerpt from the above linked article:

"When Kylie was 13, her parents took her on a hike in Lake Tahoe, Calif. "We discussed what it means to be a teenager in today's world," she says. They gave her a charm for her bracelet--a lock in the shape of a heart. Her father has the key. On my wedding day, he'll give it to my husband," she explains. "It's a symbol of my father giving up the covering of my heart, protecting me, since it means my husband is now the protector. He becomes like the shield to my heart, to love me as I'm supposed to be loved."

A modern chastitiy belt; the key given from one owner to the next - all symbolically of course. :P

No, it doesn't look right. The whole thing just reeks of a reactionary throwback or desire to return to the time when a woman was "the weaker vessel" and the property of her father until she became the property of her husband. Property litterally.

I have to think this is not conducive to raising a daughter to be a strong, self-sufficient, independent person.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:15 pm »

No, it doesn't look right. The whole thing just reeks of a reactionary throwback or desire to return to the time when a woman was "the weaker vessel"

Just for the record, I have never ever ever been a weaker vessel! LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »
Just for the record, I have never ever ever been a weaker vessel! LOL

Nobody would ever make that mistake about you, Honey!  ;D  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 03:52:47 pm »

"damn, you got some right purty balls!"

Yeah, that sounded like an interesting topic to me!  That's why I came to this thread!   :laugh:

And then I got here and saw....

Fathers across the U.S.A. are promising to protect their daughters' virtue until marriage.

Which sounds more than just a little creepy.

And then I read...

Typical double standard.  The boys don't need protecting because to screw around is a "rite of passage" and how they become men.  However, if a girl does the same thing, she's 'soiled' and therefor not a 'good girl'.

If the father's are protecting the girls, then  who are the boys going to screw around with? ???

Oh, yeah!   ;D

But then,

An excerpt from the above linked article:

"When Kylie was 13, her parents took her on a hike in Lake Tahoe, Calif. "We discussed what it means to be a teenager in today's world," she says. They gave her a charm for her bracelet--a lock in the shape of a heart. Her father has the key. On my wedding day, he'll give it to my husband," she explains. "It's a symbol of my father giving up the covering of my heart, protecting me, since it means my husband is now the protector. He becomes like the shield to my heart, to love me as I'm supposed to be loved."

A modern chastitiy belt; the key given from one owner to the next - all symbolically of course. :P

It kind a makes the girl sound like property - like she doesn't have a brain or a will of her own.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »
Great topic Kerry, but yup, it gives me the ick factor too!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
If the father's are protecting the girls, then  who are the boys going to screw around with? ???

Oh, yeah!   ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 06:21:02 pm »

I found it quite disconcerting when I first read about it, but thought the alarm bells I was hearing in my head may have had something to do with my own cynical, jaundiced view of life. It was interesting for me to read the comments from both male and female BetterMostians, verifying my initial view.

In their defense, the fathers who belong to the Purity Balls movement, probably also belong to such organisations as Father & Son. As I have no knowledge of the inner workings/philosophy of F&S, however, I regret my inability to comment on whether or not they are concerned with preserving the boys' "purity," which appears to be the primary underlying philosophical premise of PB.

One can't help but wonder if a lot of what's behind this is the parents (for I have no doubt that this also has the support of the mothers) looking out for their own interests, comprising of generous dollops of good ol' fashioned "What would the neighbours think?" if, heaven forbid, the daughter should ever "fall" pregnant.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:08 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Kerry, whether it was as much about the parents reputation, that was being protected.

And, I think the thing that makes me nauseaus is that in that picture, the girls seem to be no more than little children, who seem far too young to be having their "purity" discussed or put on display. Makes you wonder what is going on in their childish, naeive minds and how they are interpreting it all.

UGH!!!....why cant they let children be children.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection