Author Topic: Purity Balls  (Read 20300 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Purity Balls
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 06:48:09 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Kerry, whether it was as much about the parents reputation, that was being protected.

And, I think the thing that makes me nauseaus is that in that picture, the girls seem to be no more than little children, who seem far too young to be having their "purity" discussed or put on display. Makes you wonder what is going on in their childish, naeive minds and how they are interpreting it all.

UGH!!!....why cant they let children be children.

Sad but true, Sue. Childhood seems to be getting shorter and shorter, these days. I remember my father saying to me, "Enjoy your childhood while you can, 'cause you're going to be an adult for a looooooooooong time." Good advice, Dad!  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:58 pm »
 :laugh:  I just like the name Purity Balls.   :laugh:
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:03 pm »
:laugh:  I just like the name Purity Balls.   :laugh:

Im surprised they even use the word "balls" in their family conversations......

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 07:03:37 pm »
I know... I can't resist thinking of that AC/DC tune...   ::)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 07:07:24 pm »
:laugh:  I just like the name Purity Balls.   :laugh:

I prefer Paul's version - Purdy Balls!  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:45 pm »
I suspect the fire and brimstone crowd are behind it all.  :-\

I have found lately that it is not only the 'fire and brimstone' crowd that think of women and girls as subhuman...

injest

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 07:26:04 pm »
You can take that to the bank! The event in the photos took place in Colorado Springs, CO, which is a hotbed center of the right-wing socio-religious conservative movement. I think Focus on the Family has its headquarters there, or one of those groups anyway.

A father-and-daughter bonding opportunity seems like a lovely idea, but his whole business of guarding the daughter's virtue and purity--purity!--the language of it!--just seems so retro and melodramatic and Romantic--and not Romantic in a good way.  :(

whore, pig, trained seal; what difference does it make? sexism is sexism....no matter who says it. and I have found as I said there is plenty of it in all parties and religions. (Hatred of women seems to be the only thing the world can agree on)

injest

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 07:28:09 pm »
Yeah, that sounded like an interesting topic to me!  That's why I came to this thread!   :laugh:

And then I got here and saw....

Which sounds more than just a little creepy.

And then I read...

If the father's are protecting the girls, then  who are the boys going to screw around with? ???

Oh, yeah!   ;D

But then,

It kind a makes the girl sound like property - like she doesn't have a brain or a will of her own.

trained seals and pigs have brains??! I don't think so.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »
whore, pig, trained seal; what difference does it make? sexism is sexism....no matter who says it. and I have found as I said there is plenty of it in all parties and religions. (Hatred of women seems to be the only thing the world can agree on)

Wow, now you know I love you more than the koala in the eucalyptus tree outside my window, Jess, but that sure is a mighty sweeping statement.  :o 

Speaking as a gay man, who has suffered persecution directly as a result of my sexuality, I can think of at least one other group of universally hated and reviled people to add to you existing list of one.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 10:23:38 pm »
Wow, now you know I love you more than the koala in the eucalyptus tree outside my window, Jess, but that sure is a mighty sweeping statement.  :o 

Speaking as a gay man, who has suffered persecution directly as a result of my sexuality, I can think of at least one other group of universally hated and reviled people to add to you existing list of one.  :'(

Gees, I love her more than Vegemite, and thats why I am not going to get into another discussion with Jess,  on this subject........  :-* :-*
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection