Author Topic: Purity Balls  (Read 20485 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Purity Balls
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:37 pm »
I agree that this completely engages my *squick* factor...The very idea of entrusting a young woman's purity (!) to the father to me reminds me of the days of chastity belts and compelled marriages and chattel.  It's very sad because I don't think the basic idea - a father protecting his daughter/child from the world and from growing up too fast - is a bad one, but the language it comes wrapped in and the social movement espoused makes me cringe.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »
:laugh:  I just like the name Purity Balls.   :laugh:

Seems like it would make a good drag name, doesn't it?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:33 pm »
Well, it's not only sexist and involves ridiculous gender based double standards, it's also completely homophobic (this may seem too obvious to even bring up).

But, this assumes that the all the girls will grow up with the desire to date/ marry men.  And, obviously the whole gay marriage issue throws a wrench into the "wait until marriage" idea for gay girls.  (Again this seems too obvious to even bring up).

I can imagine scenarios like the "purity ball" culture probably force lots of teenage lesbian girls deep into some kind of closet where they end up going along with conventions and behaviors that have nothing to do with their own desires or personality (and only have anything to do with parental expectations).

And, what if a straight girl grows up and wants to remain independent?  Why force anyone into marriage?  Things like this make it seem like an  artificial institution forced on kids by their parents (society, etc.), at least with in "purity ball" society.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »
whore, pig, trained seal; what difference does it make? sexism is sexism....no matter who says it. and I have found as I said there is plenty of it in all parties and religions. (Hatred of women seems to be the only thing the world can agree on)

I'm glad to know I made a real impression on somebody.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 10:53:16 pm »
Well, it's not only sexist and involves ridiculous gender based double standards, it's also completely homophobic (this may seem too obvious to even bring up).

But, this assumes that the all the girls will grow up with the desire to date/ marry men.  And, obviously the whole gay marriage issue throws a wrench into the "wait until marriage" idea for gay girls.  (Again this seems too obvious to even bring up).

I can imagine scenarios like the "purity ball" culture probably force lots of teenage lesbian girls deep into some kind of closet where they end up going along with conventions and behaviors that have nothing to do with their own desires or personality (and only have anything to do with parental expectations).

And, what if a straight girl grows up and wants to remain independent?  Why force anyone into marriage?  Things like this make it seem like an  artificial institution forced on kids by their parents (society, etc.), at least with in "purity ball" society.

Preaching to the choir, darlin'  :-*.  There's no question in my mind that this sort of mindset is damaging to all girls and young women and probably especially so for young lesbians.

I highlighted the text in your post above that IMO defines marriage at any rate.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:20 pm »
Preaching to the choir, darlin'  :-*.  

Thanks Lynne! :)  
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2008, 01:01:28 am »

Wasn't Purity Balls a character in Gone With the Wind?  (Or was it The Scarlet Letter?)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2008, 01:06:56 am »

They're evangelicals (at least most of them). Fire and brimstone crowd, like Kerry noticed at the beginning of this thread. I think the evangelical view on homosexuality is well known. :P
I'm always sorry for their kids, but I think it's worse for the girls than for the boys - and I don't even want to imagine what a kid would have to go through if it grew up gay. :(

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2008, 01:19:42 am »
Sorry that I'm not reading the whole thread.  No time tonight.

But this OP just struck me as simple/funny.

They are called "chastity belts"!  lolol

Yup, let's take women back to medieval times.  That'll make all well!

hehe.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2008, 09:31:34 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!