Author Topic: In the Land of the Lotus Eaters: New Greenlea Tale  (Read 164023 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: In the Land of the Lotus Eaters: New Greenlea Tale
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2008, 04:01:29 pm »
you don't have to wait anymore!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/278891.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2008, 08:30:46 pm »

SPOILERS

Wow - that is some changeup you pitched at us, Louise.  You do like to keep us on our toes!  The banter between Wes and Jeremy was terrific, and it shows that they've reached a comfortable level of familiarity with each other, with Jeremy telling Wes maybe he shouldn't be phoning Ellery so much and pointing out how messy his office is, and with Wes growling at him to get out of his office.  LOL!  I especially liked Wes's references to "constitutional weaknesses" - he does know his boys, especially Ellery!

Good grief, Sevigny is claiming he pled guilty under duress?  Sigh.  That's all Ellery needs.  I hope he got some good relaxation time in at the beach .....  Thanks, Louise.  :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2008, 09:26:01 pm »
I did a whole lot of thinking about the plot here and ... fact is, if there isn't any police or lawyer work in it, it just wouldn't be normal! But this takes a bit of a different tack than the plots we have seen in the past.    At least I hope it does. 

I like to envision Wes's sheriff's office looking pretty much like a paperwork pit, and all of his subordinates have their own lesser sinkhole pits of paperwork, with the notable exception of Reynolds, whose desk is clean as a whistle and whose reports are always filed on time.  But the real question is -- where is Amos Marigold's arrest report???
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2008, 10:34:26 pm »
And a little note to all you Readers and Commenters - you know who you are!!!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/279154.html

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2008, 05:00:03 pm »

Jeez, it never is 'just another quiet day at the office' is it?

Wes shrugged. “Hell if I know  :laugh: You can say that again Sheriff!

Poor Ellery, and poor Colson. >:(  I have a feeling that their vacation will be coming to and end way too soon.

Thanks Louise.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2008, 08:36:41 pm »
And a little note to all you Readers and Commenters - you know who you are!!!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/279154.html

"Unwritten Plot List."  Oh boy!  I have to go find the old list - there was a slew of them!   :D

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »
And after much thought and contemplation, chapter 14!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/279510.html

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2008, 10:42:36 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2008, 10:44:18 pm »
Well, that must've been some darn good thought and contemplation, Louise, b/c that was just lovely!

...and with an unusual energy, Ellery struck away from shore, swimming in long, easy strokes. Without hesitation this time, Colson followed.

Now, that's a beautiful image! And a year ago, who'd have ever thunk it?   :)  Thanks!

Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2008, 10:58:15 pm »
Well, that must've been some darn good thought and contemplation, Louise, b/c that was just lovely!

...and with an unusual energy, Ellery struck away from shore, swimming in long, easy strokes. Without hesitation this time, Colson followed.

Now, that's a beautiful image! And a year ago, who'd have ever thunk it?   :)  Thanks!

Marie

It would seem that, when it comes to imagining those boys and their life together, a little contemplation of the passage of time seems to get the right tone in there!  Which is what I am trying to do.  Take my time and let the plot unfold in a more naturally-flowing manner.  Sometimes in a more action-oriented plot it is easy to keep up action sequences but then the nuances are lost, and this is a story about nuances.