Author Topic: Yellow Jackets Bees  (Read 7169 times)

Offline gap134

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Yellow Jackets Bees
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:10:19 am »
Is any one else having trouble with Yellow Jacket bees this year? They seem extremely aggressive. I have so many in my area that I don't go out to my patio now until after the sunsets. I put a couple of Yellow Jacket traps out that I bought at Home Depot, I come home and they are full of Yellow Jackets.

injest

Re: Yellow Jackets Bees
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:20:08 am »
Is any one else having trouble with Yellow Jacket bees this year? They seem extremely aggressive. I have so many in my area that I don't go out to my patio now until after the sunsets. I put a couple of Yellow Jacket traps out that I bought at Home Depot, I come home and they are full of Yellow Jackets.

I do remember hearing someone else talking about them....I just can't remember where..

Offline gap134

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:21:49 am »
I have lived here for 15 years, and I have never seen this many yellow jackets in the late summer. I got stung in the arm the other day. I didn't even swat at it, it just stung me in the arm. They seem extremely aggressive, not at all like a honey bee.

injest

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:28:17 am »
I have lived here for 15 years, and I have never seen this many yellow jackets in the late summer. I got stung in the arm the other day. I didn't even swat at it, it just stung me in the arm. They seem extremely aggressive, not at all like a honey bee.

maybe they are Africanized...where do you live?

Offline gap134

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:38:17 am »
maybe they are Africanized...where do you live?

Northwest Indiana

I was just reading a thread on another forum and the guy said to put out some ground beef for them. He said when they pick it up, they will fly real slow back to their nest due to the weight of the beef and you will be able to follow them, and then destroy the nest. He said they never go over a couple hundred feet from their nest. What kind of a bee eats beef? Are yellow jackets even a bee?

injest

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:05 am »
Northwest Indiana

I was just reading a thread on another forum and the guy said to put out some ground beef for them. He said when they pick it up, they will fly real slow back to their nest due to the weight of the beef and you will be able to follow them, and then destroy the nest. He said they never go over a couple hundred feet from their nest. What kind of a bee eats beef? Are yellow jackets even a bee?

Yuck...never heard of such.

injest

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:58 am »
down here the term yellow jacket is a wasp. not a bee...

injest

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 12:45:43 am »

this is what I think of when I say yellow jacket....is this what you have?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:01 am »

YES!!

Yellowjackets and wasps too! I was attacked by several of them a few weeks ago. I got stung on my neck and one even snuck in my shoe and stung me on the bottom of my foot when I was pulling my shoe off.

And the yellowjackets are chasing the birds away from my hummingbird feeders! Yes, they are AWFUL here.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline gap134

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:13 am »

this is what I think of when I say yellow jacket....is this what you have?

yes!