Author Topic: My sexual orientation and my positions on gay rights  (Read 151989 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: My sexual orientation and my positions on gay rights
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2008, 12:32:10 pm »

I remember someone here last year or so saying something like disapproving of homosexuality is like disapproving of sunset or rain.  It's a fact of nature, and humans approving of it or not is pretty moot.

These same people, however, generally also consider homosexuality a choice, or something you do, rather than something you intrinsically are--no doubt basing it on the Bible. This is where the "curing homosexuality" bullshit comes in. I'm afraid there is really no common ground here for any kind of acceptable compromise, because if you truly believe that being gay is a choice, and a wrong or sinful choice at that, you are never going to agree to anything that legitimizes homosexuality in any way.

Until, maybe, your child or your sibling turns out to be gay. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2008, 03:13:33 pm »
I'm a straight male.

I'm for lgbt rights because I believe in equality. I support same-sex marriage because I believe in love.

:)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2008, 11:23:03 pm »
These same people, however, generally also consider homosexuality a choice, or something you do, rather than something you intrinsically are--no doubt basing it on the Bible.

I don't think so. This comment is not based on any credible or projectable research data that I know of. If it exists, please present it so we can take a look.

To align with that idea suggests that the majority of people in california consider homosexuality a choice based on fundamental biblical teaching. Very implausible and hard to believe such an exaggeration.

Offline MountainMan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2008, 02:53:23 am »
my friend just posted this on her facebook page so I thought I'd share...

:)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3WZFZGN9DA[/youtube]

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2008, 03:35:13 am »
That's great, MountainMan, thank you.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2008, 09:18:47 am »
As you know, there is a huge battle about to occur in California over Prop 8 which would ban gay marriage.

Following a recent spate of television and radio ads on behalf of a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, a new poll suggests a rise in support for Proposition 8, the ballot measure that would block gay men and lesbians from marrying.

If you would like to make a donation to help protect against Prop 8, you can do so here.

http://www.eqca.org/site/pp.asp?c=kuLRJ9MRKrH&b=4375153

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:37 am »
Muslims certainly would vote against gay marriages in California.

Any other so-called religions?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2008, 10:09:43 am »
Muslims certainly would vote against gay marriages in California.

actually, Artiste, it's the Mormons that are giving millions in donations to the fight against Prop 8, not the Muslims.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:12 am »
Muslims are too cheap to hand out money to non-muslims; since it's against their religion to do so, did you know?

But of course, Mormons and other so-called religions will hand out money against gays even if their sons or daughters are gays!

I call these so-called religions and not real ones!!

Asses are always blind?

A local politicians here now said in a school that all gay should be killed; so will muslims, mormons, etc. as so-called religions say that too?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2008, 10:58:17 am »
OK, I'll be the second person to repeat this --

Individual Muslim voters might be supporting Prop 8, but the organized resistance is coming from the usual suspects that American culture demands we respect whether their actions warrant it or not: to-wit, conservative Protestants, the Mormon Church and the Roman Catholic Church.  They've poured a great deal of money into the anti-equality measure, money they could have been spending feeding the hungry, "clothing the naked" (as the Gospels say) and ministering to the imprisoned, the lonely and the grief stricken.

Here's an exchange that, according to the Gospels, might take place at some point:

"I didn't let gays marry."

But people starved.....

"But I didn't let gays marry. "

But homeless people froze to death ...

"But I didn't let gays marry."

But people died in wars .......

"But I didn't let gays marry."

But people were ill and you ignored them...

But enough of Matthew 25:35-46!

(can't remember where I got this -- if any BetterMost member sees it and it's their work, please let me know and I'll add an acknowledgement)