Author Topic: OT: Movie recommendations  (Read 30031 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
OT: Movie recommendations
« on: June 04, 2006, 01:34:56 pm »
Hey Brokies!

Like many of you, I too have not seen alot of movies after BBM.      Although I did go see the New (remake) Poseiden Adventure.  That was good.    I liked the original beter I think.   You just can't replace Shelly Winters!  LOL

But the real reason I'm posting is about a movie I watched on the plane home from my vacation (Holiday).      It is called "Last Holiday"   It stars (believe it or not ) Queen Latifa.   She is a Dept store sales associate in New Orleans  who finds out that she has 6 weeks to live.   She decides to live out every dream she had.     I laughed, I cried, I liked it so much I watched it twice on the plane!     It is one of those feel good movies that leaves you warm and fuzzy afterwards.   

I just noticed that is out at the Rental places now.     GO get it!   It is very good!

http://www.lastholidaymovie.com/

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:53:25 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: OT: Movie recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:47:01 pm »
Just came back from watching The Breakup.

Lot better than I thought it was going to be, but still formulaic ** 1/2 stars out of 4 IMO.

LOVED Judy Davis' character.

Note to Jennifer Anniston:  Eat something, will ya?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:54:13 pm by delalluvia »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:14:56 am »
I just saw Walk on Water, an israeli movie. Has anyone seen it? I liked it but not the ending though.

PD. I haven't seen The Break-up but I agree that Jennifer Aniston could use a sandwich or two.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:19:58 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:26:22 am »
I just watched Catch Me if You Can last night.  Good movie!  Leo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks star and Spielberg directs.  Its just a fun film....check it out! 

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:27:40 am »
I just watched Catch Me if You Can last night.  Good movie!  Leo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks star and Spielberg directs.  Its just a fun film....check it out! 

I agree Chris!   I enjoyed it.  It was a fun movie.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 02:30:03 pm »
Hey Brokies!

Like many of you, I too have not seen alot of movies after BBM.      Although I did go see the New (remake) Poseiden Adventure.  That was good.    I liked the original beter I think.   You just can't replace Shelly Winters!  LOL

But the real reason I'm posting is about a movie I watched on the plane home from my vacation (Holiday).      It is called "Last Holiday"   It stars (believe it or not ) Queen Latifa.   She is a Dept store sales associate in New Orleans  who finds out that she has 6 weeks to live.   She decides to live out every dream she had.     I laughed, I cried, I liked it so much I watched it twice on the plane!     It is one of those feel good movies that leaves you warm and fuzzy afterwards.   

I just noticed that is out at the Rental places now.     GO get it!   It is very good!

http://www.lastholidaymovie.com/

I'm glad someone finally gave a review of this movie! I saw a preview for it every time I went to see brokeback and cried everytime.... if a preview can make me cry then I know I'm in trouble! Thanks for the rec, I'll probably rent it sometime this week!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 03:55:01 pm »
I want to recommend Junebug.  Alot of folks didn't like it. said interesting characters, no plot, too slow ( where have WE heard this before  ::) .. ) But I really liked it.  Like Brokeback Mountain viewers are invited in to the lives of these characters, to bring their own experience to the back story, the subtext.

The ambiguity of family and the intricacies of the relationships in this film encourage us to rethink the confused and sometimes absurd moments we experience while finding ways to fit in- or not. Reminding us that we all come from dysfunctional families in one way or another.  This film is very funny at times, not cheap funny standard comedy funny.    But the goofy, oops, foot-in-mouth moments that come when we all try too hard. (The look on Madeline's face in the screwdriver conversation is priceless) This is another movie that leaves so much to think about. Another fine example of  film as art when the conversation with it continues in our heads long after the credits have run.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 11:20:36 pm »
Junebug is a good one Vic! I loved Amy Adams in it... she was my top choice for best supporting.  She made the movie for me. 
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:49:37 pm »
I was going through my "favorite movies list" the other day, and I noticed something.  Most of the movies on my list leave the story ambiguious and open to interpretation.  You must complete the movie yourself, just like BBM.  I found that quite intriguiging...

Included in this category are:

David Lynch's Lost Highway

Contact

eXistenZ

And for the hopelessly romantic:

Moulin Rouge!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 03:41:35 pm »
Ok, here are some of my recs...

Y Tu Mama Tambien and another Gael Garcia Bernal favorite Bad Education

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Harold and Maude

Igby Goes Down

Tipping the Velvet

Battle Royale That one is kind of random, but I love it   ::) (not for the faint of heart or those who oppose violence in movies....)

Those were just off the top of my head, I'll be back with more later!