Author Topic: OT: Movie recommendations  (Read 29953 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: OT: Movie recommendations
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 07:48:12 am »
Its been a LONG time since I've seen it but what do ya'll think of Good Will Hunting

I do like this film, actually. There's not all that many films where I've seen Robin Williams flex his acting muscle but this was terrific.

A tad cliched in parts, but still good.
Chut up!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 11:44:16 am »
I do like this film, actually. There's not all that many films where I've seen Robin Williams flex his acting muscle but this was terrific.

I agree...I just watched it!  Robin Williams was pretty brilliant!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 11:48:07 am »
Speaking of Robin Williams,   I was very impressed with him in the 1998 movie "What Dreams may come"   It is not a comedy, in fact it is kind of dark.   But very dramatic and will knock your socks off.  Be warned the subject matter may be disturbing to some.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:25:32 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 12:19:38 pm »
I saw Transamerica this weekend and absolutely loved it.  It has that same lyrical pace as our favorite movie.  There's many layers of meaning to keep you engrossed and a nice soundtrack too.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 01:09:09 pm »
Speaking of Robin Williams,   I was very impressed with him in the 1998 movie "What Dreams may come"   It is not a comedy, in fact it is kind of dark.   But very dramatic and will knock your socks off.  Be warned the subject matter may be disturbing to some.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/

Agreed David!  What Dreams May Come is awesome!

I watched Munich again and I have to say...that Munich was more deserving of that Oscar then Crash was!  IMO Munich was nothing short of brilliant....not even in the same league as BBM but still very good!  Spielberg at his most daring....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 01:18:12 pm »
I saw Transamerica this weekend and absolutely loved it.  It has that same lyrical pace as our favorite movie.  There's many layers of meaning to keep you engrossed and a nice soundtrack too.
-Lynne

I never saw Transamerica....I'll have to check it out...

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 02:35:33 pm »
Agreed David!  What Dreams May Come is awesome!

I watched Munich again and I have to say...that Munich was more deserving of that Oscar then Crash was!  IMO Munich was nothing short of brilliant....not even in the same league as BBM but still very good!  Spielberg at his most daring....

I agree Chris, I saw Munich about two weeks ago and loved it.  I don't see at all how there wasn't more buzz about it and it just confirmed for me that any of those other movies should have won over Crash... but I guess we shouldn't start up the old argument  ;)

Good Will Hunting was just on Encore, I just watched it.  It was just as good as I remembered it.  Even Ben Affleck was good, and I can't stand him...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2006, 02:56:05 pm »
Good Will Hunting was just on Encore, I just watched it.  It was just as good as I remembered it.  Even Ben Affleck was good, and I can't stand him...

I can't stand him either...but he was good!  So was Matt Damon whom I also can't stand...

moremojo

Keeping company with 'A Prairie Home Companion'
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 03:30:41 pm »
Howdy, gang:

I went to see A Prairie Home Companion yesterday afternoon in Pflugerville, accompanied by my mother and my sister. This was the first theatrical release since Brokeback Mountain to which I was really looking forward, and I found it wonderfully entertaining and moving. Of the last three films I have seen theatrically (the other two being The Da Vinci Code and X-Men: The Last Stand), this was by far the best.

The ensemble cast was pitch-perfect to an actor, including Garrison Keillor, who was essentially playing himself, and who also contributed the screenplay. Set almost entirely within the confines of Saint Paul's Fitzgerald Theatre, the warmly toned cinematography contributed to the cozy and nostalgic world of the beloved radio show signing off for its last broadcast, while the gracefully mobile camera invested every screen moment with an engaging vitality. The soundtrack was no less dynamic, with director Robert Altman's signature use of multiple, overlapping conversations creating a dense aural atmosphere brimming with humor and verve. Just as infectious were the many wonderful musical numbers, with the actors singing in their own voices--Meryl Streep and Lindsay Lohan proved themselves to be remarkably strong singers.

The character that I think moved me most was the Dangerous Woman, played so exquisitely by Virginia Madsen. Some reviewers have disliked this character, finding the element that she introduces to the story to be unconvincing, but I found her lines to be infused with a rare beauty that moved me profoundly, and no one could have played her better than Madsen, with her sweet, soothing speaking voice.

This film is a real treat, and represents the kind of quality entertainment that can still issue from the world of American mainstream filmmaking. No fan of Robert Altman or Garrison Keillor's radio show will want to miss this one.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2006, 05:16:01 pm »
Thanks for the review Scott! Despite Lindsey Lohan, I've been really looking forward to this movie.  If it's in St. Louis, I might check it out tomorrow...it's either that or the omen  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73