Author Topic: OT: Movie recommendations  (Read 30044 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: Movie recommendations
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006, 01:29:34 pm »
What about Dances with Wolves?  I saw it a long time ago....if I remember right its REALLY slow until about the last 10 minutes...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006, 01:49:27 pm »
I saw The Break-Up and it was pretty good!  Its kinda your typical romantic comedy but the ending is pretty different...

If you're a sucker for the What Women Want meets My Best Friends Wedding type...then go see it!  You'll love it...

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006, 06:04:22 pm »
Hmmm I ALMOST saw the Break-Up today, I like Jen Anniston and Vince Vaughn, so I'm sure I'll see it eventually...

I did go and see the Omen today though, and I don't care what anyone says, I enjoyed it! Liev Schreiber and David Thewlis made the movie for me.  It wasn't at all a usual role for Schreiber, he definitely surprised me.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 06:21:30 pm »
I saw “Something New” on DVD.  Most of you must have seen the preview when you saw Brokeback Mountain in the theatres.  As far as romantic comedy goes, I think the movie is entertaining and sweet.  Not great, but worth the time.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 02:28:49 pm »
I saw Transamerica this weekend and absolutely loved it.  It has that same lyrical pace as our favorite movie.  There's many layers of meaning to keep you engrossed and a nice soundtrack too.

I *loved* this one.  I agree - the pacing was perfect.  I went into it back in February thinking it'd be a tour-de-force performance lifting an otherwise mediocre movie and was pleasantly surprised to find the movie was every bit as good as Felicity Huffman.  It was really a fun road picture - kind of reminded me, in a way, of "Midnight Run."  And in another of "The Straight Story" (another one I highly recommend to all Brokies).
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 02:55:40 pm »
I saw Free Zone yesterday. It's an israeli movie that features Natalie Portman, spanish actress Carmen Maura (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown), and two other ones I don't know (one is israeli and the other is palestinian).

It's the weirdest movie I have ever seen. I can't decide if I liked it or not. I didn't hate it but I'm not sure if I liked it. It's just weird. It's a road movie but the camera shots makes you feel in the car with them. I even got motion sickness. But the story line is interesting because it is not pro Israel nor pro Palestine. It just deals with normal people that don't really care about politics, but are trying to survive within the conflict.

The movie itself is simple. It's just the trip two women make to the Free Zone, which is the border between Syria, Irak and Jordan, to take care of some business. But from their conversations you can tell the story is actually about how they cope with the conflict and the consequences of it in their lives. I recommend it if you like unconventional movies with unconventional scenes and filmaking style.

Another movie I want to recommend is Manuale D'amore. An italian movie about the phases in which relationships go through. The storyline is divided between four short stories about four different couples: The ones that fall in love; the ones that are going through a crisis; the ones that cheat at each other; and the man whose wife just walked out on him. It's very funny, but also a bit sad. It makes you feel good though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:06:28 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
OT: Movie recommendations - An Inconvenient Truth, anyone?
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 04:16:14 pm »
Has anyone saw "An Inconvenient Truth"?  How was it?

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 09:37:49 am »
I just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang yesterday with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.  I really enjoyed it.  It's an LA detective story with a lot of comedy and a strangely good performance by Val Kilmer as private eye "Gay" Perry.  Some parts lost me, but overall I thought it was very funny.

re: an Inconvienient Truth, I haven't seen it, but a lot of my friends have said that it was very good.  I've been wanting to see it for a while now.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 08:19:38 pm »
I just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang yesterday with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.  I really enjoyed it.  It's an LA detective story with a lot of comedy and a strangely good performance by Val Kilmer as private eye "Gay" Perry.  Some parts lost me, but overall I thought it was very funny.

re: an Inconvienient Truth, I haven't seen it, but a lot of my friends have said that it was very good.  I've been wanting to see it for a while now.

Yes, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a good movie. I loved how he apologized to all the Midwestern viewers for "using the "F" word so much"!

Somebody may have already suggested this, but for some of the younger members here, "Torch Song Trilogy" is an excellent movie. It is an older movie, but it is very good. Also "The Unknown Cyclist" is good. It is mostly comedy, but it has some very poignant parts in it. Another older movie, but it really good. I think it is from the 1990's.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2006, 12:03:13 pm »
I just watched The Family Stone and it turned out to be much better then I remember...

Not only a comedy but it does have a little depth to it....its pretty good!  I recommend for the romantic comedy lover or just someone looking for a entertaining couple of hours...

It's pretty liberal too...