Author Topic: OT: Movie recommendations  (Read 30034 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OT: Movie recommendations - An Inconvenient Truth, anyone?
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »
Has anyone saw "An Inconvenient Truth"?  How was it?

Oh, pick me, pick me!  Yes, I've seen it.  I thought it was quite good.  Very scary stuff.  Some of the stuff Al Gore had in those slides was pretty damning evidence that the meltdown has already begun.  I was angry and sad after first seeing it - I couldn't shake the thought (still can't) of what a really good man Al Gore is and of how different things would be had he won in 2000.  And he was nothing like the Campaigning Al Gore - he was warm and witty and eloquent.  It's a shame that whoever his handlers were in 2000 couldn't just let him be himself - there ain't nothing wrong with the way he communicates when he's just speaking off the cuff.

If it's not already obvious, I recommend it highly.
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: OT: Movie recommendations
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2006, 12:30:03 pm »
I saw Prarie Home Companion this weekend and I LOVED IT:D

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT: Movie recommendations - An Inconvenient Truth, anyone?
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2006, 01:25:13 pm »
Oh, pick me, pick me!  Yes, I've seen it.  I thought it was quite good.  Very scary stuff.  Some of the stuff Al Gore had in those slides was pretty damning evidence that the meltdown has already begun.  I was angry and sad after first seeing it - I couldn't shake the thought (still can't) of what a really good man Al Gore is and of how different things would be had he won in 2000.  And he was nothing like the Campaigning Al Gore - he was warm and witty and eloquent.  It's a shame that whoever his handlers were in 2000 couldn't just let him be himself - there ain't nothing wrong with the way he communicates when he's just speaking off the cuff.

If it's not already obvious, I recommend it highly.

Thanks Barb.  Now I remembered that you said you were going to see the movie one weekend.  I will try to find some time to see the movie.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2006, 06:10:26 am »
I just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang yesterday with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.  I really enjoyed it.  It's an LA detective story with a lot of comedy and a strangely good performance by Val Kilmer as private eye "Gay" Perry.  Some parts lost me, but overall I thought it was very funny.

This is GREAT film. There are soooo many great exchanges of dialogue between Downey and Kilmer but probably my favourite is this one:

Harry: [after meeting "Gay Perry"] Still gay?
Perry: No, knee-deep in pussy. I just love the name so much I can't get rid of it.

;D
Chut up!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2006, 01:01:24 pm »
Here are some films I recommend for their beauty, thoughtfulness, and/or life-enhancing qualities (listed in no particular order):

Ordet (1955) Gertrud (1964) The Ladies' Man (1961) Hiroshima mon amour (1959) Au hasard Ballthazar (1966) Unsere Afrikareise (1966)  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)  F for Fake (1974) Playtime (1967) Du skal aere din hustru (1925)  The Circus (1928)  Freaks (1932) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)  The Scenic Route (1978)  Pather Panchali (1955)  I Was Born, But... (1932)  Passing Fancy (1933)  Celine et Julie vont en bateau (1974)  Erogeny (1976)  Andrei Rublev (1969) Topsy-Turvy (1999)  Beau travail (1999) An Actor's Revenge (1963)  A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (2001) Passion in the Desert (1997) Without You I'm Nothing (1990) Gerry (2002)  Yes (2004) Barry Lyndon (1975) Gregory's Girl (1981) Easy Street (1917)  Intolerance (1916) Les Vampires (1915) The Man with a Movie Camera (1929) The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice (1952) A New Leaf (1971)  Howl's Moving Castle (2004) Divine Madness! (1980) Hairspray (1987) Daughters of the Dust (1991) Jungfrukallan (1960)  Mahanagar (1963) Local Hero (1983) The Apple (1998) L'eclisse (1962)Le notti di Cabiria (1957) To Live (1994) The Time to Live and the Time to Die (1985) Solaris (1972) ..last, but not least...  Brokeback Mountain (2005) Scott M.

OMG, Scott! Someone after my own heart!

Here are some others you might like??? (no particular order ... BBM is a given):

Pandora's Box (1928)

Diary of a Lost Girl (1929)

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1921)

Sunrise (1926)

Metropolis (1927)

Vampyr (1930

Passion of Joan of Arc (1927)

Fall of the House of Usher (1927)

Random Harvest (1942)

Red Dust (1932)

Dinner at Eight (1934)

Bombshell (1933)

Jean de Florette (1986)

Manon of the Spring (1987)

Seventh Seal (1958)

8 1/2 (1963)

Okay guys ... I could go on and on. I think all of those are classics. If you are considering giving silents a try, start with "Pandora's Box." It's fabulous and shockling modern in some of its themes.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2006, 04:51:35 pm »
This is GREAT film. There are soooo many great exchanges of dialogue between Downey and Kilmer but probably my favourite is this one:

Harry: [after meeting "Gay Perry"] Still gay?
Perry: No, knee-deep in pussy. I just love the name so much I can't get rid of it.

;D

Sheyne, that is also one of my favorite lines, but there were so many good ones, Val Kilmer had perfect comic timing in this movie, and usually I don't even like him!

I just came back from seeing A Prarie Home Companion which was recommended by some on this thread.  I enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.  It wasn't a great film, but overall it was funny and heartfelt and had a great cast and fun music, go see it!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2006, 07:54:26 pm »
Regarding "An Inconvenient Truth"...

The nation's top climate scientists are giving "An Inconvenient Truth," Al Gore's documentary on global warming, five stars for accuracy. 

Read more here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/27/gore.science.ap/index.html

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2006, 10:36:16 pm »
Sheyne, that is also one of my favorite lines, but there were so many good ones, Val Kilmer had perfect comic timing in this movie, and usually I don't even like him!

I just came back from seeing A Prarie Home Companion which was recommended by some on this thread.  I enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.  It wasn't a great film, but overall it was funny and heartfelt and had a great cast and fun music, go see it!

I was wondering about "A Prarie Home Companion". I have read several posts here from people who really seemed to enjoy it. It looks like  I will need to add  it to my "movies to watch" list! :)

Hey Jenny...

Congratulations On Your 500th Post Jenny!
:) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2006, 10:52:47 pm »
Hey Jenny...

Congratulations On Your 500th Post Jenny!
:) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D

Thanks David!  I didn't realize that.  I bumped a few old threads just for the new members, so that helped.  With this post, now I am at 502, what an accomplishment  :P.  I will never be able to catch Vicky and Milli.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2006, 12:02:21 am »
Regarding "An Inconvenient Truth":

I teach that stuff in an intro college class. Gore does a better job presenting it than I do. I guess that isn't saying much, since you all don't know me, but... I'm impressed to see a politician get the science right, and present it in an extremely compelling and convincing way.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.