Author Topic: OT: Movie recommendations  (Read 30039 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: OT: Movie recommendations
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2006, 12:33:24 am »
Regarding "An Inconvenient Truth":

I teach that stuff in an intro college class. Gore does a better job presenting it than I do. I guess that isn't saying much, since you all don't know me, but... I'm impressed to see a politician get the science right, and present it in an extremely compelling and convincing way.

Nakymaton, this is another movie I have been hearing a lot about. I guess I will need to add this one to my "must see" list too!

My list is beginning to get pretty long.... :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2006, 06:57:27 pm »
I just saw The King, a James March film, with Gael Garcia Bernal and William Hurt. Unconventional movie about a chicano, Elvis (Gael), son of a prostitute, who after leaving the US Navy, goes in search for his father (Hurt) whom he has never met. He finds him and soon learns that his father is a reformed sinner who has become a preacher with his own church, and has a new family. It's pretty slow, but it's thought provoking. Some people have been offended by the way the story develops and how Latino's are protrayed*, but I recommend it. All performances are superb, and Gael is so HOT!

*As Latina myself, I didn't find it offensive. Etnicity has really nothing to do with the plot. Gael character's just happened to be Latino.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 08:03:31 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2006, 01:31:43 pm »
I just saw The King, a James March film, with Gael Garcia Bernal and William Hurt. Unconventional movie about a chicano, Elvis (Gael), son of a prostitute, who after leaving the US Navy, goes in search for his father (Hurt) whom he has never met. He finds him and soon learns that his father is a reformed sinner who has become a preacher with his own church, and has a new family. It's pretty slow, but it's thought provoking. Some people have been offended by the way the story develops and how Latino's are protrayed*, but I recommend it. All performances are superb, and Gael is so HOT!

*As Latina myself, I didn't find it offensive. Etnicity has really nothing to do with the plot. Gael character's just happened to be Latino.

Thanks for the review! I've been waiting for this movie to come out, I don't think it's playing anywhere in my area yet though, or is it on DVD already?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline opinionista

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2006, 01:45:27 pm »

Thanks for the review! I've been waiting for this movie to come out, I don't think it's playing anywhere in my area yet though, or is it on DVD already?

I saw it in the theater but I'm in Spain. I don't know if it's still showing in your area. Not sure about if it's on DVD. I don't think so.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
Re: OT: Movie recommendations - An Inconvenient Truth, anyone?
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2006, 08:51:37 pm »
Oh, pick me, pick me!  Yes, I've seen it.  I thought it was quite good.  Very scary stuff.  Some of the stuff Al Gore had in those slides was pretty damning evidence that the meltdown has already begun.  I was angry and sad after first seeing it - I couldn't shake the thought (still can't) of what a really good man Al Gore is and of how different things would be had he won in 2000.  And he was nothing like the Campaigning Al Gore - he was warm and witty and eloquent.  It's a shame that whoever his handlers were in 2000 couldn't just let him be himself - there ain't nothing wrong with the way he communicates when he's just speaking off the cuff.

If it's not already obvious, I recommend it highly.

I really do think it's an important film to see for every one, what ever the political persuasion. More than likely, Republicans are going to not go see it. The science is presented in a very straight forward manner. I challenge anyone to dispute the facts. The thing that scared me was seeing evidence of a glacial shelf the size of countries disappearing within a month's time. It really is a sign that something has to be done now. I thought the film was great to not leave us all feeling guilty and helpless. He does points up to how we can affect changes. That was important.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

vkm91941

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2006, 12:56:48 am »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 07:11:55 pm »
I just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang yesterday with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer.  I really enjoyed it.  It's an LA detective story with a lot of comedy and a strangely good performance by Val Kilmer as private eye "Gay" Perry.  Some parts lost me, but overall I thought it was very funny.

Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang yesterday since it was mentioned here.  It's a light hearted movie and very entertaining.  I too enjoyed it.  The story was ok, not that engaging, but I liked the fast pace of the movie.  If you don’t pay attention while watching it, you will miss a few plots/twists. Between Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer, I think Robert Downey Jr. was better.  Val Kilmer is better than most of his recent roles.  That girl (I am too lazy to check her name on IMDb now) was pretty good too.  She can be sweet, slutty and funny at the same time.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2006, 02:10:37 am »
I'm not sure if anyone has seen Life as a House but its sort of a guilty pleasure of mine...

Kevin Kline, Hayden Christensen and Kirsten Scott Thomas...

Kevin Kline is good and Kirsten is also pretty good...but surprisingly enough Hayden also pulls it off.  Its actually a role that required neurons...none of that Star Wars shit...

Storyline is about a boy whom is struggling with drugs, school and his own sexuality.  He goes to live with his birth father (his parents are divorced) for the summer...whom he hates with a passion mind you.  Together they build a house....bumpy ride along the way but very good and kind of touching at the end...

I recommend...

vkm91941

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2006, 02:21:42 am »
I'm not sure if anyone has seen Life as a House but its sort of a guilty pleasure of mine...

Kevin Kline, Hayden Christensen and Kirsten Scott Thomas...

Kevin Kline is good and Kirsten is also pretty good...but surprisingly enough Hayden also pulls it off.  Its actually a role that required neurons...none of that Star Wars shit...

Storyline is about a boy whom is struggling with drugs, school and his own sexuality.  He goes to live with his birth father (his parents are divorced) for the summer...whom he hates with a passion mind you.  Together they build a house....bumpy ride along the way but very good and kind of touching at the end...

I recommend...

I loved this film.  The only time I saw Hayden Christinsen that I found him believable.  But the other's Jena Malone, Kevin Kline and Kristen Scott Thomas were wonderful.  The story is well told and not to maudlin, which was a real danger given the subject matter.

vkm91941

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2006, 02:26:38 am »
I just picked up a DVD copy of another old  favorite of mine...Priest 1994 Linus Roach, Robert Carlyle, Tom Wilkinson.

Thought-provoking drama tackles some heavy issues such as homosexuality, abuse, incest, and values, and builds it all around the body of a young priest. This is undeniably provocative material, and Priest is a movie with many great qualities. Film's main asset is Linus Roache's almost flawless performance as Father Greg Pilkington (the young priest).

Intense thought provoking film about some serious issues, don't let the title fool you this is not a religious film, it is neither pro or anti catholic.  It is more a character study on the human condition brillantly portrayed.  I give it three and half stars out of four

Highly recommend.