Author Topic: OT: Movie recommendations  (Read 29966 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: OT: Movie recommendations
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2006, 02:34:35 am »
I just picked up a DVD copy of another old  favorite of mine...Priest 1994 Linus Roach, Robert Carlyle, Tom Wilkinson.

Vicky -

Our Priest told us (the congregation) if we went to see this movie we would have to go to Confession.

I no longer attend Mass, so I will be happy to listen to your suggestion and rent this film.

I forgot all about this movie. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:38:43 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

vkm91941

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2006, 02:41:34 am »
Vicky -

Our Priest told us (the congregation) if we went to see this movie we would have to go to Confession.

I no longer attend Mass, so I will be happy to listen to your suggestion and rent this film.

I forgot all about this movie. :)

It's all a matter of attitude I guess. Well that and your definition of sin and whether or not you believe the church infallable.   A very dear friend of mine, a Catholic priest himself went with me to see this film and he wept openly during the very powerful ending.  We loved it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:43:18 am by vkm91941 »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:36 am »
Being that I am on a Jake Gyllenhaal kick (along with BBM, which I watch nightly) ... you might want to see "Moonlight Mile" or "The Good Girl". And of course there is "Donnie Darko". (Actually, the only films of his I really haven’t liked are “Highway” and “Bubble Boy” … can’t do either one of them, even though Jake is very sexy.

Beyond that, I just saw, "The Devil Wears Prada". Certainly not a deep movie, but Anne Hathaway is funny and Meryl Streep steels every scene she is in!!!

If you are up for a very old film (I am talking a silent ... 1928), watch "Pandora's Box". It is one of my favorites. It is (supposedly) the first film to ever have a blatantly lesbian character, Geschwitz, in it. (I am not gay, but if I were, I would fall for Louise Brooks who plays the main character, Lulu). It’s a great film.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

mvansand76

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2006, 09:51:04 am »
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (OMG- that one final scene in the house that is crumbling all around them...no spoiler...makes me cry even more than BBM)

Cinema Paradiso

Una Giornata Particulare

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2006, 04:16:30 pm »
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (OMG- that one final scene in the house that is crumbling all around them...no spoiler...makes me cry even more than BBM)

Cinema Paradiso

Una Giornata Particulare

Great movie choices! "Eternal Sunshine ... " is especially good! It's a completely original story ... that's for sure!
Diane

moremojo

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2006, 07:39:39 pm »
I went to see The Proposition last night. This is a 2005 production directed by John Hillcoat to a screenplay by Nick Cave, and filmed entirely on location in Queensland, Australia. The story is set during the late colonial era of Australian history, in a remote Outback settlement marked by serious violence, perpetrated both by renegade gangs and by the authorities retaliating against these lawless men and waging genocidal warfare against the aboriginal peoples of the area. The film functions in part as a deglamorization of the past, emphasizing the brutality and hardship of these people's lives.

Against this background is related the tale of the three Burns brothers, played by Guy Pearce, Danny Huston, and Richard Wilson, three lawless, violent men who are desperately wanted by the authorities. Charlie and his younger brother Mike (Pearce and Wilson, respectively) are apprehended by Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone), who gives Charlie the chilling proposition of the title: if Charlie can track down the eldest brother Arthur (Huston), who Stanley deems the ringleader of the gang's recent savagery, within nine days and kill him, Mike will be released into his care. If not, Mike, who is little more than a boy, will be hanged.

This is an intelligent, well-made film on all levels, distinguished by solid performances and strikingly evocative cinematography that captures the austere beauty of this forbidding, unforgiving land. The themes explored are profound and universal, though some of Charlie's background and motivation remain mysterious, a potential liability in some viewers' assessment of the film. The violence depicted is harrowing but wholly appropriate in the filmmakers' desire to convey the primitive world of their subject. Anyone who enjoys Westerns, thoughtful, serious drama, or is curious about Australian history would likely appreciate this movie. Recommended and worth seeing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:19:46 pm by moremojo »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2006, 11:00:11 pm »
I went to see The Proposition last night at a cinema near my home in Austin. This is a 2005 production directed by John Hillcoat to a screenplay by Nick Cave, and filmed entirely on location in Queensland, Australia. The story is set during the late colonial era of Australian history, in a remote Outback settlement marked by serious violence, perpetrated both by renegade gangs and by the authorities retaliating against these lawless men and waging genocidal warfare against the aboriginal peoples of the area. The film functions in part as a deglamorization of the past, emphasizing the brutality and hardship of these people's lives.

Against this background is related the tale of the three Burns brothers, played by Guy Pearce, Danny Huston, and Richard Wilson, three lawless, violent men who are desperately wanted by the authorities. Charlie and his younger brother Mike (Pearce and Wilson, respectively) are apprehended by Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone), who gives Charlie the chilling proposition of the title: if Charlie can track down the eldest brother Arthur (Huston), who Stanley deems the ringleader of the gang's recent savagery, within nine days and kill him, Mike will be released into his care. If not, Mike, who is little more than a boy, will be hanged.

This is an intelligent, well-made film on all levels, distinguished by solid performances and strikingly evocative cinematography that captures the austere beauty of this forbidding, unforgiving land. The themes explored are profound and universal, though some of Charlie's background and motivation remain mysterious, a potential liability in some viewers' assessment of the film. The violence depicted is harrowing but wholly appropriate in the filmmakers' desire to convey the primitive world of their subject. Anyone who enjoys Westerns, thoughtful, serious drama, or is curious about Australian history would likely appreciate this movie. Recommended and worth seeing.

I have heard this is a fabulous film ... albeit realistically violent.

You live in Austin, TX? I lived there for two years and really liked it. It was just too hot for me and I was too far away from my family (in Indiana) ... so I moved back to the midwest. I still have fond memories of Austin.
Diane

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2006, 09:47:16 am »
Hi, Diane--

Though I was born in Grand Prairie (in the Dallas-Fort Worth area), I've been resident in Austin since 1973 (when I was six). So you could call it my hometown. It does get hot here in the summers--really the only season you can predict in central Texas. Even we natives find it hard going at times.

So are you presently in Indiana? We seem to have a few folks from the Hoosier State gracing our boards, including a good friend of mine who loves Jack and Ennis as much as I do. A great-grandmother of mine was from Howard County, Indiana. I've never been to the state myself.

Cheers,
Scott

Yep ... I'm a hoosier girl. Your great-grandmother ... did she live in Kokomo?  You need to visit the state. Although, yes, there are a lot of corn fields and farms, there is also a lot of other things the state has to offer.
Diane

moremojo

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2006, 10:15:19 am »
Yep ... I'm a hoosier girl. Your great-grandmother ... did she live in Kokomo?  You need to visit the state. Although, yes, there are a lot of corn fields and farms, there is also a lot of other things the state has to offer.
My great-grandmother (my maternal grandmother's mother) was such a gentle soul...she died when I was five, but I have a memory of my mother leading me up to her seated in her rocking chair, and her taking my hand and kissing it. She was much loved by the family.

She was born on a farm in Howard County. When still a young lady, she and her family relocated to Kansas, where she met and married her husband, my great-grandfather. A couple of years into their marriage, they moved to Texas, which is where my grandmother was born.

Getting back to movie recommendations, have you heard of an Indiana-born filmmaker named Curt McDowell? He was born in Lafayette, in Tippecanoe County, in 1945, and moved to San Francisco in 1965 to attend the Art Institute there. In the early 1970s, he began making films in earnest, under the tutelage of his teacher George Kuchar. In 1975, these two collaborated on what is still probably McDowell's best-known work, a black comedy called Thundercrack!, which gained some notoriety on the midnight-movie circuit in the late Seventies. The film is distinguished by Kuchar's idiosyncratic, zanily poetic dialogue, beautiful black-and-white photography, and a truly great performance by the lead actress, a classically trained thespian named Marion Eaton. I think Eaton is one of the greatest actresses to have appeared on film, but she remains relatively obscure to mainstream audiences.

The best film of McDowell's I have so far seen is his later short Loads, which is a masterpiece of homoerotic cinema. McDowell succumbed to complications from AIDS in 1987, but is fondly remembered by the many who counted him as a friend.

Scott

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2006, 08:17:10 pm »
You live in Austin, TX? I lived there for two years and really liked it. It was just too hot for me and I was too far away from my family (in Indiana) ... so I moved back to the midwest. I still have fond memories of Austin.

Same here.  I lived in and around Austin while going to college.  Didn't want to leave either, but unless you're a college professor or computer guy, it's hard to make a living there.  Was working two jobs after college, then finally got tired, moved back to Dallas and got one job paying more than what the two jobs were paying in Austin.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't have good memories of Austin.