Author Topic: On-Line Chat room etiquette--a refresher course for us all  (Read 11721 times)

vkm91941

On-Line Chat room etiquette--a refresher course for us all
« on: June 05, 2006, 08:54:15 pm »
Online chat room etiquette
Manners and protocol of chat room etiquette.

The Internet has opened up a whole new world for us to meet online and converse real time about our hobbies, thoughts, and beliefs. Here at Bettermost we are no different.   However, as in face to face communication, there are some common courtesies and protocols that must be observed while addressing others online.

There are some proper greetings you should know in order to initiate a conversation. The best way to accomplish this is to use a simple, pleasant greeting, such as “Hi Everyone”, or “Good Morning”.

If this fails to catch anyone’s attention, you could attempt to address a particular member with a question. An example of this would be “mikeg, can you recommend any good mystery novels”. The person you are addressing will usually respond, thus launching your chat interaction.  IF they do not respond do not take it personally, simply move on and engage someone else in conversation.  While it is nice if  a significant number of people in chat are discussing the same things it is not mandatory.   Side conversations while often difficult to follow in a crowded room are not considered rude.  Because they are difficult to follow however many people opt to use the private message option for these or to create an invitation only room and step away from the general conversation to converse in private.

While you are chatting, always make sure you do not type in capital or boldface letters, as this is considered yelling in the online world. While it may attract attention, it is hard on the eyes to read, and you will either be scolded or not addressed at all.

Inappropriate chat room behavior:
  • asking others personal questions such as their age, sex, and marital status. While it is tempting to want to know more about the person you are conversing with, use the same judgment as you would in a face to face conversation. Unless you know the person very well, and you are both comfortable with sharing personal information, refrain from asking such questions.
  • Many people in chat rooms tend to let their guard down and may insult or verbally abuse you. In fact, there are many instances where someone will enter the chat room just to annoy others in this way. While your instinct is to fire back in the same manner, try to restrain from doing so.
  • If the verbal sparring is a result of a disagreement with another member, try to remedy the situation by politely talking it over together.
  • Remember to respect the beliefs and opinions of others in the room.
  • At the same time, if you find you are in the wrong, be sure to promptly correct yourself and apologize to those that you have offended.
  • be inclusive not exclusive.  Everyone deserves the opportunity to participate

Tips to follow when chatting online.

• First, welcome and respect any newcomers that are entering for the first time.
  • Offer advice when asked, as they may not be sure what to do or how to converse.
  • Also, if you are a chat room moderator, or regular, try not to overload the room with constant advice or opinions and give others their chance to speak.
  • If your messages are long, try to type and send it in sections to avoid constant scrolling on other members’ screens. If possible, send the lengthy message privately or to a couple of members at a time.

Finally, remember to treat others online in the same way you would want to be treated. By observing these basic rules of etiquette, everyone can have a better online chat experience.  Keep it light, keep it fun  :D

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: On-Line Chat room etiquette--a refresher course for us all
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:04:55 pm »
Victoria, we were just talking about chat etiquette in the chat room today!  Thank you for posting this. 

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:12:52 pm »
Victoria, we were just talking about chat etiquette in the chat room today!  Thank you for posting this. 

Yes thank you!

vkm91941

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:46 pm »
It seemed like a timely topic since more and more of us are using the chat these days.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:31:57 pm »
...........sooooo  "WOOHOOOooo" is out hunh?
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:22:28 pm »
I am aware of the various issues in the chat room with it throwing people back to a login prompt, etc.  I am continuing to investigate solutions/options for this.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 11:59:01 pm »
Yes, Phillip, being thrown out doesn't feel like proper etiquette. :)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:29:43 am »
These tips have been put to good use already!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:19:59 am »

@$#&% yeh!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 02:22:34 am »
Ray, I believe you mean, "Good morning, Courtney, @$#&% yeh!"

vkm91941

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:20:04 am »
We've all been enjoying poking fun at this post,  :laugh: but I do want to point out that in addition to keeping things cordial between us longtime friends and aquaintences, we've been enjoying a significant influx of new members who don't know us and it will take time to become aquainted.... keep that in mind when chatting, newbies especially may not get the inside jokes or realize that you are jokeing and either be turned off or feel excluded.  Just food for thought folks, seems like a couple of new folks escaped rather quickly last night.  We regulars can be rather overwhelming  ::) enmass with 9 or 10 of us chatting away fast and loose in there it can be very intimidating trying to keep up.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:28:17 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 10:26:42 am »
Wow I'm sorry I missed that. Always love the fast and loose chat. Another point to bring up is when people enter the chat but don't say anything. To me, that seems kind of rude, but I try not to take it personally. I'd rather people just say something like, "Hi, just stopping in for a moment" or "Whoops, forgot I've got to go wash my hair." BTW, eveybody, you can go to the chat log-in page and see who's chatting without having to enter the room, thus avoiding making us chatters feel like a bunch of pariahs. Here's the link to the log-in page:

http://bettermost.net/forum/chat/
"chewing gum and duct tape"

gattaca

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 11:05:56 am »
Actually, I did try the chatroom last night - and of course there were convo threads going on - I was welcomed by everybody and that was nice. The problem lies on my end - I have a Mac Mini and it generally does not like flash apps. It'll run OK, but the Mac's little microbrain heats up immediately and the cooling fan ramps up like a little jet engine. :)

I'm looking around Apple's website to see if there any updates I can install...

(edit)

*looks up*

Dude! I'm a "Jr. Rand Hand" now. Cool - the "tourist" phase was short-lived, thankfully. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:09:48 am by gattaca »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 11:14:56 am »
gattaca, I'm SO glad to know we didn't overwhelm you.  I hope you come back as soon as you can.  Clarissa

And Victoria, you are absolutely right.  I've been joking and teasing, but I actually am an etiquette-lover, just some basic guidelines to get along well, and have even more fun with each other.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 11:32:14 am »
What kind of things do you cover in the chatroom?  Is there an ettiquette for content (other than the stuff about age, gender, etc that was posted above)? Is it mainly BBM-related or friendly chit-chat?
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 11:40:03 am »
It's all the topics covered in this forum pretty much at once Nic!  It's fun and lighthearted most of the time.  Lots of laughs and lots of comraderie.  There never seems to be a great weighting on BBM discussion when I'm in there for some reason, but the room is open to anything and everything, (except age, sexual orientation, weight, marital status, eye colour, shoe size, nationality, pet's name..............I'm joking!)  Specific discussions can be held in private windows, or you can create other rooms and invite people in.  But whatever you do, Don't mention the war!

Please pop in and see for yourself.  Everyone is so welcoming and friendly. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:43:37 am by Ray »

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 12:32:57 pm »
Thanks Ray.  I haven't used a chat room before but I'd bet this would be one of the most friendly ones out there !  Time & timezones permitting I may well  dip a toe in. Those etiquette tips were most useful.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 01:30:27 pm »
BTW, eveybody, you can go to the chat log-in page and see who's chatting without having to enter the room, thus avoiding making us chatters feel like a bunch of pariahs. Here's the link to the log-in page:

Wow, I had heard rumors that such a feature exists, but thought that it didn't work for everyone or something. Thanks!  :D

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 06:50:39 pm »
Wow I'm sorry I missed that. Always love the fast and loose chat. Another point to bring up is when people enter the chat but don't say anything. To me, that seems kind of rude, but I try not to take it personally. I'd rather people just say something like, "Hi, just stopping in for a moment" or "Whoops, forgot I've got to go wash my hair." BTW, eveybody, you can go to the chat log-in page and see who's chatting without having to enter the room, thus avoiding making us chatters feel like a bunch of pariahs. Here's the link to the log-in page:

I've been guilty of this in the past... sorry guys, didn't know it bothered anyone, usually it happens if I'm looking to see if a specific person is online.  I'll be nicer next time, say hello  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 08:27:11 pm »
I am aware of the various issues in the chat room with it throwing people back to a login prompt, etc.  I am continuing to investigate solutions/options for this.

Yes its a pain in the butt sometimes!  Seems to be doing a little better lately though...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 08:27:50 pm »

ROFLOL....oh yeah right Court!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 08:50:48 pm »
ROFLOL....oh yeah right Court!

I don't know what you mean by that Chris. I've never been in the chat when inappropriate questions were asked or someone did not conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner.....

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 08:59:11 pm »
Me either!  Let me tell you, if I had, I would have redlined it straight out of there!  I won't tollerate that nonsense!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 09:02:12 pm »
That makes two of us Ray! Who would want to be in the presence of such sillyness?  :P

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 09:04:16 pm »
I know!  I've been to chat rooms where they carry on like excited fools rediscovering their youth and enjoyment of life!  Thank Jack that doesn't go on around these here parts.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 09:17:37 pm »
And I love how no one ever uses any kind of bad language in there. You never have to see the %&$# symbols. Isn't it lovely, Ray?  8)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 09:24:03 pm »
I know!  I've been to chat rooms where they carry on like excited fools rediscovering their youth and enjoyment of life!  Thank Jack that doesn't go on around these here parts.

Courtney would never act like she was rediscovering her youth.  :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 10:51:55 pm »
I don't know what you mean by that Chris. I've never been in the chat when inappropriate questions were asked or someone did not conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner.....

ROFLOL....please stop!  You're gonna make me hurl...

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 12:47:26 am »
ROFLOL....please stop!  You're gonna make me hurl...

(You might want to head on into the bathroom, Chris.)

I always look forward to the intelligent and enlightening discussion to be found in the chat room. It is so wonderful how everyone waits their turn to speak and there is never any confusion about the topic of conversation.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 01:25:31 am »
(You might want to head on into the bathroom, Chris.)

I always look forward to the intelligent and enlightening discussion to be found in the chat room. It is so wonderful how everyone waits their turn to speak and there is never any confusion about the topic of conversation.

ROFLOL....again I'm gonna hurl my guts out!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 01:29:19 am »
%&$#? Oh I feel so guilty. I did once. Or twice...  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 06:05:19 pm »
I would ROFLOL but then I'd have to move away from the computer!  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 01:11:30 pm »
A good re-read.