Author Topic: Something, or things, we are proud of.  (Read 7960 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: Something, or things, we are proud of.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 03:26:04 pm »
Sheyne, I'll have to repeat what has been said: this is excellent! As a teacher myself, I understand how proud (and rightly so) you must be. My deepest admiration to you!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 05:24:49 pm »
Sheyne, Vicky, Isabelle - we are proud of you too.  :-*

I guess I am proud of the little things:

I left home and parents at 17, I am almost 27 now, and I am happy that I got an education, worked all sorts of crappy jobs (sometimes 2 or 3 at a time) got through Undergrad and Grad school and finally got a job!
(Which I could lose if I keep coming here so often.. :P)

I am proud of my parents - they raised 8 kids (would've been 10 but 2 passed away) and they are the sweetest..love U mom and dad!  :-* (although they won't read this..lol)

All in all, life is not perfect, but I won't undulge in complaining, there is always something to be proud of..
Live the present, I say!

:-*

vkm91941

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:39:27 pm »
I wonder why Chris is the only man to respond to this thread.  I would think it being pride week and all we'd see more of the men around here sharing.... ::)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 11:40:04 pm »
I wonder why Chris is the only man to respond to this thread.  I would think it being pride week and all we'd see more of the men around here sharing.... ::)

Because I'm special...LOL

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 06:14:16 pm »
What am I proud of? Well, I guess, it's not so much pride, but an overwhelming sense of gratitude, in my case.
I live in a country that is somewhat slow and bureaucratic, but still reasonably wealthy, and, above all: democratic. Horrible things have happened here in the past, and nothing can be done to change that. The guilt, our ancestors have heaped upon their nation will always remain. But, at least, we are aware of that. We don’t lie about our history but make an effort to teach our young people better. The "Third Reich" and the Holocaust are essential parts of the teaching curriculums in school, nowadays. Thank God!
I'm lucky enough to belong to the younger generation, myself, who have neither experienced the horrors of war nor have known suppression or dictatorship. As a journalist, I am also happy to say that the freedom of the press is held in high regard overhere, which is not the case in so many countries!

There is much to be grateful for in my private life, too. To be honest, I never really had to struggle for anything. I was the youngest child in my family. My two older siblings kinda paved me the way. I went through school, university and job training without any serious trouble, got employed before I even graduated, married a man who, as a Cancer, taught me (a stubborn Capricorn) a thing or two on endearments and was ready to stay at home with our baby when I wanted to go back to work half a year after our sweet lil' Franca was born. Do I have to mention that I have a beautiful, healthy, sweet little child? God, I'm very grateful, indeed! 
And I have both: a sweet live in a rural, small town community (with all it's blessings) and a job that is challenging, interesting and satisfying. And: well paid!! I am very aware of the fact that I am the exception to the rule. Many females of my age will envy me. I'm not the typical representative of my gender. I feel privileged. And I am grateful. Proud? Dunno. Germans got a problem with that word. And rightly so.

Love

ANKE  :-*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 03:31:18 am by Pipedream »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 06:25:12 pm »
Anke - thank you, very beautiful. As you know, my partner is German. He is 48, his own father was involved in the war as a very young man, and my partner seems to be still bearing the burden of that history. But it is over. It's really over, and I, as a French, admire Germany for looking at its past honestly. France still hasn't started, and what my country did in Algeria for instance was nothing to be proud of. We have only just started looking honestly at our active role as a state in supporting the nazis in WWII! Oops, here I am bitching again about France  ::), but sorry, it is true.
As a German of your generation, you can be proud of your country's honesty and what it has become.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 03:36:05 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 06:43:15 pm »
Thank you, Isabelle! Let's make en effort to spread the word!

Hope I'll meet you at the Euro Brokie Brunch!!!

ANKE  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 09:00:18 pm »
I am glad to see more posts on what we are all proud/grateful for.  :-*
Lovely posts Anke and Isabelle.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 03:37:19 am »
Thanks Milli. I do hope to meet you in person one day!

And Anke, I hope to meet you in London in September too. I'm going to do my best to attend.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 01:50:49 pm »
And Anke, I hope to meet you in London in September too. I'm going to do my best to attend.

*SIGH*  Yet another Brokie Get-together my scrawny ass will not be able to attend!  :-\ :'(

Ok, I'll try not to dwell on what I can't do and make another list of things to be grateful for.  :)