Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 202039 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2006, 05:24:22 pm »
"I can't stand this anymore" AND "Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it." Neither were in the story, and it seems like the theme of standing was added at the scriptwriting or the filiming stage.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2006, 08:38:56 pm »
As for your translation of other conversations, goadra, thank you for those. I especially love the "It's cold!" "Close it up!" If only a TS3 had followed!  :-*

Yes, you can hear the "it's cold" ... "close it up" when they are in that bad rain storm .... But I like your idea ... TS3! I know it happened ... just off screen, dang it!   ::)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2006, 01:02:22 pm »
I thought there was a TS3. It was short...Jack and Ennis sleeping with Ennis's arm around Jack. They were facing left screen.

Also, I heard the "I love you" and I also saw Heath's lips move, though they were half-buried in the fabric of the shirts. Major moment, that one.  :P

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2006, 01:27:18 pm »
I thought there was a TS3. It was short...Jack and Ennis sleeping with Ennis's arm around Jack. They were facing left screen.

Also, I heard the "I love you" and I also saw Heath's lips move, though they were half-buried in the fabric of the shirts. Major moment, that one.  :P

That's one of those things where there will never be concensus. I never heard it ... I have blasted the volume and have heard nothing other than his inhale and exhale. IMO, it just doesn't fit into Ennis' character to say that. The only time he says the word "love" is when he asks Alma, Jr. if "this Kurt fella ... he loves you?" Just my thought  .....
Diane

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2006, 01:58:33 pm »

I think so, too. There are three. But tell you what, personally I could use a TS4, TS5, TS6, TS7, TS8 ...

Welcome to the club, F-R! I hope you're using :P in a nice way, not a "yuck" way (I have to ask, given the controversy over this moment and the ambiguity of that smiley -- I've seen it used to convey "yuck" and "drool," which are pretty much opposites).

Diane, I think the very fact that it doesn't fit Ennis' character is what makes it so incredibly touching. But even for those who've seen it, it's sooooo subtle that it really doesn't take anything away from Ennis' use of the word in his question to Alma Jr.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2006, 03:19:41 pm »
I think so, too. There are three. But tell you what, personally I could use a TS4, TS5, TS6, TS7, TS8 ...

YES!!!! I just can't get enough.

Diane, I think the very fact that it doesn't fit Ennis' character is what makes it so incredibly touching. But even for those who've seen it, it's sooooo subtle that it really doesn't take anything away from Ennis' use of the word in his question to Alma Jr.

I'm going to listen again tonight (when I have might nightly viewing) ... I'll check out. "I swear .... " I haven't been able to hear one darn word (up to this point)! So, I'll try it again!  ::)
Diane

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2006, 04:05:12 pm »
OK, then, here's my advice. Right after he breathes in the shirts, hoping for the scent, his face up close to the cloth -- watch for the left 1/4 inch or so of his mouth to twitch three times, as if he's saying three one-syllable words. Listen for him to make three short sounds, ditto. It won't sound or look particularly like "I love you." He could be saying just about anything, or twitching for some other reason. But that's the reason that makes the most sense -- and is the most emotionally thrilling -- to me.

Then, immediately -- and I mean IMMEDIATELY -- afterward, it cuts to Mrs. Twist in the kitchen. So if you get there and haven't seen it, rewind slightly and try again.

Good luck! Report back tomorrow!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2006, 05:16:16 pm »
I was using  :P in terms of **pant, pant** not yuck. Nothing associated with BBM could ever be yuck IMHO, not even a cat-piss smelling tent!! My setup to hear the "I love you" was earbuds and the DVD on my computer.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2006, 05:43:23 pm »
This is SOOOOO what we need a special edition DVD for.  *sighs* 

I don't think he says "I love you" but tell you what, that's what makes this movie so great, it is SO open for interpretation.  Everyone gets and see and hears different things from this movie, yet the story is just as strong for those who don't hear/see/get the same things.  The movie opens the door for different emotional interpretations.

If it turns out he does say "I love you" then I bet I cry even harder during that scene.  If that's even possible.

"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2006, 06:14:23 pm »
I hear the radio during Ennis's packing almost the same, Barbara, but not quite:

"...This great big guy...big, hairy, monstrous guy - must have been a construction worker all his life. And he's sitting at the bar next to this little bitty fellah...and the bartender... (dialogue)...and he grabs this <something>...and he just slips <something>...

"How did you do that? And the little guy replies (soft, wussy voice, kind of like Wally Cox), "Well, Sir....."[/quote]

So, as I like to point out - I think this is a "faggot" joke.  The construction worker represents the red-blooded American male, and the little bitty guy represents a "queer."  What Ennis and Jack have to listen to subliminally.