Author Topic: Waiting for the DVD  (Read 3959 times)

gattaca

Waiting for the DVD
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:29:47 am »
I’m like Ennis (except I don’t smoke or drink) waiting for Jack to pull into the driveway in Riverton, “beat-up Resistol tilted back”, 4 years after that summer on Brokeback. (Well perhaps not quite that dramatic, but you get the idea).

I missed the theatre release - it was shown in only one Tucson theatre, and that was an “art house” with a small screen and I wanted a friend to see it with me, but my friend Bill was still in Portland.
BBM was in my Netflix queue, but wasn’t going to be released until April ’06 and I was OK with that. I’m a mature adult (nearly all the time) and I can wait.
So – I didn’t see the film until mid-May (just after my birthday) – I actually enjoyed watching it at home (I have a pretty good home theatre setup), because I could view the film again and again (which I did, shamelessly).
But it skipped (in the old days of VCR tapes you had other issues but DVD players have not adequately addressed this problem IMO and it’s very irritating). The Netflix DVD was already pretty scratched up. I take very good care of my DVD collection - Casablanca, The 10 Commandments, The Birdcage, 2001 A Space Odyssey, etc. and there’s not one scratch on any of them.

And so I ordered BBM from Amazon because I returned the Netflix rental and found that I simply could not handle not having the film in my collection. I ordered it on 31 May and they quoted an 05 June delivery (I didn’t need Ennis and Jack to arrive at my house overnight – 3 to 5 business days was OK by me).

Today is 07 June. I have no BBM DVD. I’m a little upset:
Current Track & Confirm e-mail information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
Label Number: …. XXXX
Service Type: Delivery Confirmation - Package Services/Standard Parcels

Shipment Activity        Location                      Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Electronic Shipping   PHOENIX AZ 85026   06/02/06  5:30pm Info Received
Arrived Shipping      GRAND PRAIRIE TX 75050    06/01/06  1:21am Partner Facility
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I moved in to a brand new home in Tucson in April with a brand new zip code (this has caused some problems, especially with utility bills). I guess I ought to have had Amazon ship the package to the university instead. It seems to be stuck in Grand Prairie, Texas (the ball got dropped by USPS). At some point, it’ll be returned to Amazon as ‘undeliverable’.

Meanwhile, the ghosts of Ennis and Jack walk the tangled forest of my mind and make themselves known in the spectacular thunderstorm displays Tucson has been getting over the past couple of days.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Waiting for the DVD
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:54:44 am »
Ack! How awful!

I ordered the DVD 2nd day delivery from Amazon (because I live in a small town and order a lot of books online, and they offered it to me for free, so... why not?). But I ordered it when it was first released, and it took forever to get out of the warehouse. And then I tracked it, day by day, across the western US. And then I told all my internet friends exactly where it was, hour by hour.

You know, there is probably someplace in Tucson that sells it in a store. Borders? Best Buy? Any place that sells DVDs?

And the ghosts just don't go away, do they?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:03:10 am »
    GRAND PRAIRIE TX 75050    06/01/06  1:21am Partner Facility It seems to be stuck in Grand Prairie, Texas (the ball got dropped by USPS).
I was born in Grand Prairie. Sorry to hear that your DVD seems to stuck in limbo there...maybe it's trying to get nearer to Jack's spirit in Childress!

gattaca

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:48:28 pm »
Well - I'm not going to wait for Amazon. It's still stuck in Grand Prairie (I just checked) and you're right - Border's does have the DVD. So, off I go. :)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:20:17 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that. you'd think you could go down to your local USPS office and explain them what's going on and see if they could help expedite the shipment.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:24:39 pm »
Painful to hear of such a frustrating delay -- consider yourself morally supported!  I live in Washington, D.C. and was lucky enough to be on a list of the privileged -- a copy was held for me at my favorite neighborhood CD store on release day in April.  Good luck... also try ebay if you are still stuck.  There are many copies, new and used, there.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

gattaca

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 10:10:42 pm »
Thank you all for the well-wishes. I am now the proud owner of my own BBM DVD and USPS be damned (along with the sheep). :)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 12:17:30 am »
Yay, you own your DVD now! Good for you.

Sorry to hear that your DVD seems to stuck in limbo there...maybe it's trying to get nearer to Jack's spirit in Childress!

Oh, no, no, no, no... Remember, Jack's spirit is on Brokeback and with Ennis wherever he goes.

(I could almost cry...)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger