Author Topic: Straight Folks Can March in Gay Pride Too  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Straight Folks Can March in Gay Pride Too
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:22:56 am »
I hope everyone affected by Brokeback Mountain will consider joining their local gay pride parade; quite likely, it will occur this weekend.  I feel we owe it to the spirit of Ennis and Jack.

Straight people march in Pride Parades also.  In larger cities and college towns, there may be a Gay-Straight Alliance group and banner to march with.  There may also be a P-FLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) group marching in your town.

In any case, I hope that this year, more people than ever will show solidarity for human rights for GLBT people, and announce to the world that we recognize and support the love between all the Ennis-and-Jacks of the world.

I wonder....  will any parade have a group marching under the banner "Fans of Brokeback Mountain?"

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Straight Folks Can March in Gay Pride Too
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:29:36 am »
I hope everyone affected by Brokeback Mountain will consider joining their local gay pride parade; quite likely, it will occur this weekend.  I feel we owe it to the spirit of Ennis and Jack.

Straight people march in Pride Parades also.  In larger cities and college towns, there may be a Gay-Straight Alliance group and banner to march with.  There may also be a P-FLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) group marching in your town.

In any case, I hope that this year, more people than ever will show solidarity for human rights for GLBT people, and announce to the world that we recognize and support the love between all the Ennis-and-Jacks of the world.

I wonder....  will any parade have a group marching under the banner "Fans of Brokeback Mountain?"

I think it's a good idea. I usually go to the Gay Pride Parade in Madrid. They always have a huge party afterwards, that usually last a whole weekend and are so much fun! The party last until morning hours, and lots of people go. It's always very very crowded. I'll probably go this year too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:33:54 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:30:45 am »
That would be soooo cool!

We had our Gay and Lesbian Pride parade a week ago. I had plans to go, but it didn't work out in the end..  :-\ I have been in past years though and I enjoy it immensly!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:04:34 am »
Last August.. my sister and I took my Mum to Stockholm for her 60th.. a few weeks before we went I realised it was the same weekend as Pride.

Can I just say how fabby it was! My Mum was having a rare old time, and got complemented by a drag queen on her outfit! heh. The atmosphere was amazing.. and I never so a cross word, argument all day. Despite the 100,000+ crowds.

No pride anywhere near me.. think the nearest would be London, but if I was nearby I'd be there with bells on.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Seattle Gay Pride Parade
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 12:05:16 pm »
Thanks Impish.  Good point.  Seattle's is again on my birthday, June 25th.

Seattle Pride Parade 2006            Seattle Pride Parade 2006            Seattle Pride Parade 2006            Seattle Pride Parade 2006            Seattle Pride Parade 2006            Seattle Pride Parade 2006The Northwest's largest Lesbian/Gay/Bi-sexual/Transgender (LGBT) Pride Parade is getting a new home this summer. The famous Parade is Sunday, June 25th, starting at 11:00 am downtown, from Westlake Park to Seattle Center, the new location of the 2006 Seattle Pride Festival. Click here to see map of the Parade route. Westlake Park will contain the official media and ADA viewing areas.

KSTW-11 will air two hours of same-day coverage from the Pride Parade on Sunday, June 25 from 6-8PM.  This marks the first time the Seattle Pride Parade has been made available to viewers via free, over-the-air television.   The Parade will also be seen on KSTW in the Vancouver, B.C. market as well.

Seattle Out And Proud sponsors and produces the annual Seattle Pride Parade and the Festival to commemorate three nights of civil unrest known as the Stonewall riots. These riots occurred in late June 1969 in response to official harassment by the New York Police and are considered the birth of the movement for equal rights and liberation for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Many communities in the U.S. and around the world hold Pride celebrations in June in memory of Stonewall.

Theme - The theme this year is SEATTLE OUT AND PROUD! Use this theme to guide your Pride Parade expression. Think fabulous! It’s up to you to help make this memorable. We want you to have an outstanding March/Pride Parade experience. This is a celebration about passions, discovery, support, encouragement and just being OUT and PROUD. Awards for exceptional Pride Parade entries will be presented. More details coming soon.   http://www.seattlepride.org/march.htm

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 10:14:02 pm »
Wow, pride parades are really not my scene, but ya'll have fun..

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 06:44:17 am »
Edel M: did WHO just call you a fuckass?  I bet nobody knows when it is in SF--but I can find out by looking at the Asain Art Museum Bulletin, bercasuse it gets in the way of driving there...I can walk a piece.

Ywah, a Brokeback Mountain group woukld be cool indeed..
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 01:54:38 pm »
Edel M: did WHO just call you a fuckass?

You

Will-U

Straights can March in Gay Pride Parades
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:38:25 am »
I hope everyone affected by Brokeback Mountain will consider joining their local Gay pride parade; quite likely, it will occur this weekend.  I feel we owe it to the spirit of Ennis and Jack.

"Straights" have been marching in Gay Pride Parades since the very first one in New York City on "the last Sunday in June" in 1970, commemorating the one-year anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall Rebellion.

I believe that most cites with Gay Pride parades have them on "the last weekend in June" -- although they have been held on various Saturdays and Sundays throughout June, now that we have a "Gay Pride Month".  In fact, some cities such as Rochester, New York, have their Gay Pride Parade in July!? 

The main factor is that a city has a Gay Pride Parade and that as many people as possible march or at least attend as a spectator. 

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 11:05:42 am »
Edel M: did WHO just call you a fuckass?  I bet nobody knows when it is in SF--but I can find out by looking at the Asain Art Museum Bulletin, bercasuse it gets in the way of driving there...I can walk a piece.

Ywah, a Brokeback Mountain group woukld be cool indeed..

Julie, Brandon's sig line is a quote, and a great one I might add, from Donnie Darko. You should see it if you haven't. Jake is great in it.

Re: the Fans of Brokeback Mountain banner, totally awesome idea!!! "Brokies for Pride" would be a good one too.
The NYC Parade is so huge I wonder if it's got somethign like this. Maybe I can find out. too much organizing for ME to make happen in the next two weeks, but I'd do it for next year for sure.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 03:37:47 am »
The Atlanta area Gay Pride weekend is the weekend of June 23.  Here is the info about local events there:

http://new.atlantapride.org/index.php

I missed out on the Nashville weekend, but I have a couple of new bumperstickers to break out for this one:  The stick figures of MM=FF=MF and the 'Marriage is a Civil Right' one.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."