Author Topic: Did Jack wait too much time for Ennis to come around?  (Read 7226 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Did Jack wait too much time for Ennis to come around?
« on: June 08, 2006, 06:37:10 am »
Hey guys,

This topic came out at the polling place as a result of a comment I made about Jack making the mistake of waiting too much time for Ennis to commit. I got some interesting responses which prompt me to open a whole thread about it. I haven't found any other thread alike, but if there's indeed another one about the same topic, please notify me via PM before posting, so I can delete it.

This is my opinion:

As I was saying at that other thread, Jack, unlike Ennis, was the sort of person who would rather have 5 minutes of wonderful than a whole life of misery and nothing special*.  His flaw, however, was stubborness. He waited way too long for Ennis to come around, then died without really enjoying the life he wanted.

I think Jack loved Ennis too much, much more than he loved himself. And while that can sound romantic, because in Hollywood they have made it sound romantic, in my opinion it was a mistake, because it only brought pain, unhappiness and misery into his life. I know things weren't always that bad with Ennis.  I'm sure they had great moments together that Jack probably cherished. But the fact is that Jack at the beginning of the movie he was an outgoing happy man, with a quick laugh and a good sense of humor. Then we witness how the frustration he feels in his relationship with Ennis begins to take a toll in him, and in the end he becomes a bitter, depressed man. 

That's why I think his stubborness, in this case, was a flaw, a mistake. In fact, is a lesson I learned from the movie. Jack should've loved himself more no matter how much he loved Ennis.  In my opinion, he should've called it quits after the divorce scene, when he travels all the way to Wyoming only to be rejected by Ennis.

*This is in reference of Ennis's fear of ending up killed. I think Jack couldn't care less about it. He would rather have a life with Ennis, with the ranch and the calf and cow operation, even if that meant the risk of being killed or tortured like Earl was.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 01:11:40 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Did Jack wait too much time for Ennis to come around?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 06:55:50 am »
Well,  maybe not right AT  the divorce scene, but at least at their next fishing Trip.    Ennis had a point about the girls being there and that he'd missed his previous commitment with the girls the month before. 

I think Ennis was struggling at that moment.  He was no doubt happy to see Jack, but conflicted.  His paranoia when he saw the white truck drive by was apparent to Jack.      Jack should have addressed all this at the next meeting.   Asked Ennis what was next?   Maybe suggested that they go up to Lightning Flat and ranch up there on his folks place.   This way Ennis could still drive back to Riverton and see the girls.

But most likely, Ennis would have said "Nothings changed except I don't have alma around making me feel guilty".  Ennis was still against two men living together like Earl & Rich.   So should have Jack "Quit" Ennis at that point?    Sure.   But as we all know, Love is blind.   It is also deaf, dumb and stupid too!

David

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:37:39 am »
I agree. However, I think Jack feels humilliated at that moment, not because Ennis had his girls and couldn't be with him, but because of the way he reacts when he sees a white pick-up drive by. Ennis gets very nervous about it, and they were just talking. They weren't kissing or anything, and I think Jack was offended. In fact, Jack's reaction to Ennis's reaction to the white truck is shown in the picture you posted, David.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:50:54 am »
I agree.  That's a pivotal moment, there.  Had Ennis not responded at all to that truck and thus shown he was no longer paranoid, it would have made a huge difference.  In everything.

I agree with David that Ennis had a point about having the previous commitment with the girls, and anyone would have understood that.  But someone who wanted to be with Jack more than he cared about what other people thought would have:

a) Said, "I have the girls this weekend and I missed last month.  But since you drove all this way, why don't you stay, if you don't mind it being on the couch, or I can put you up with Don Wroe down the way..."

and

b) Had no (or very little - like a quick glance and that's it) reaction to the white truck.

Yes, a) would be way out of character for Ennis, and b), for that matter.  I think Jack was humiliated both by Ennis' reaction to the truck going by, but also just his awkwardness with him in general - all of it served to make him feel like he overall didn't belong there - and thus didn't belong with Ennis.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:27:25 am »
This scene is certainly pivotal for my own mood when viewing the film. It's when I start getting really depressed, knowing it's all downhill from there. And each time I watch, this scene seems to come earlier and earlier in the movie!  ??? :-\ :'(

BTW, this scene contains some interesting echoes of the one where Aguirre appears on Brokeback with his announcement about Uncle Harold. Aguirre says, "So here I am"; Jack says "So here I am." Aguirre peers at Ennis through his binoculars and Jack follows his gaze, realizing that they've been watched; Ennis peers at the white truck and Jack follows his gaze, realizing that Ennis worries about being watched. Aguirre and Jack agree that there's nothing Jack can do about Uncle Harold -- either up here or down there. And Jack sees there's nothing he can do about Ennis in either place, either.

As for the topic question, my answer would be that Jack really has no choice. What's he going to do instead? Throughout most of the movie, he doesn't even know any other gay men. Mexico is not a satisfying alternative. Even when Jack gets a thing going with Randall, late in the game, he's clearly no substitute for Ennis. Jack still misses Ennis so much he can hardly stand it.

So what would be the point of quitting him? Unless he thought presenting an ultimatum might stir Ennis to change. But I don't think he would have been willing to take the gamble.

I think quitting the love of your life is difficult unless you're getting nothing from the relationship -- when the person is indifferent or abusive or whatever. The only problem with Ennis is that he wouldn't live with Jack, or spend enough time with him. But when they were together, I think Ennis was loving and devoted and things were wonderful. That's why Jack missed him so much, and that would be hard to give up.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:35:11 am »
I think quitting the love of your life is difficult unless you're getting nothing from the relationship -- when the person is indifferent or abusive or whatever. The only problem with Ennis is that he wouldn't live with Jack, or spend enough time with him. But when they were together, I think Ennis was loving and devoted and things were wonderful. That's why Jack missed him so much, and that would be hard to give up.

Tell ya what.  Truth is... what you just said there, Katherine.

I was able to quit the love of my life after only two years of tormented love and passion because he became emotionally abusive when we were together.  Perhaps I should thank him for making it easier.

Nah.
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 12:27:44 pm »
As I was saying at that other thread, Jack, unlike Ennis, was the sort of person who would rather have 5 minutes of wonderful than a whole life of misery and nothing special. 

i think that's precisely why Jack stayed so long. He did get those "5 minutes of wonderful" from Ennis. Each of their trips together, he felt the fire and the passion. Being able to have that made his time away barable. Had he moved on, would he feel that way with any one else? Hard to say. Most of us have said, had he moved on to Randall, he would have been settling for an acceptable "nothing special".
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 12:44:57 pm »
Right, and as far as we know Jack never met anybody else who seemed even remotely possible. He would have been substituting the love of his life for so-so Randall, or worse, a lifetime of Jimbos and Mexico trips.

But opinionista, I have to respectfully disagree with your comment. Ennis chose five minutes of wonderful, too -- a whole life of misery and nothing special is what he had prior to their reunion. It's just that Ennis was willing to get by on only five minutes, whereas Jack wanted much more.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 12:55:31 pm »
I'm not like you, Ennis.  I can't make it on a couple o' high altitude fucks once or twice a year...
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 12:56:01 pm »
i think that's precisely why Jack stayed so long. He did get those "5 minutes of wonderful" from Ennis. Each of their trips together, he felt the fire and the passion. Being able to have that made his time away barable. Had he moved on, would he feel that way with any one else? Hard to say. Most of us have said, had he moved on to Randall, he would have been settling for an acceptable "nothing special".

I think Jack was having those 5 minutes of wonderful from Ennis before that spur of the moment trip he makes to Wyoming. After that, I don't think he was happy anymore. For me, there's no point in meeting someone once or twice a year, just for just a week or less, then spend the rest of the months feeling miserable most of the time, forcing yourself to have sex with people you don't like, crying your eyes out every night because you miss that person so much that you can't hardly stand it. I think it's humiliating, it's a torture, especially if you know that situation is not going to change. But that's my opinion.

As for Randall, we don't know what he meant to Jack. Obviously, he would never love him they way he loved Ennis, but maybe he was able to find some happiness with Randall, and grow to love him with time. I guess that is what Jack ultimately hoped for.

Jack deserved to feel better about himself, to feel fully loved and that he belonged with someone. We all do. In the movie there are many scenes where Jack is shown feeling out of place. He felt he didn't belong anywhere, not with Lureen, not with his family, not with Ennis, because Ennis kept rejecting him, and not with society. That is why I think he should've loved himself some more.  At least it's something I learned for myself, although I know that, as David points out, love can be blind, deaf, mute and stupid.

PS. I want to explain that what I meant by five minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special it was in reference of Ennis's fear of ending up killed. I think Jack couldn't care less about it. He would rather have a life with Ennis, with the ranch and the calf and cow operation, even if that meant the risk of being killed or tortured like Earl was.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 01:09:53 pm by opinionista »