Author Topic: Random thoughts about Ennis, ang Lee and a quote from Heath  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Hi all,

a couple of thougths keep running through my mind the last days. They're random, don't belong together and are not so important to make an own topic for each. So I just share them here and will see whether some of you would like to contribute their own thoughts on it.

First about Ennis:
Do you know the secret, blessed, nightly hours, when it's completely dark, when all artificial lights are turned off and you're lying in your bed/sleeping bag, sharing the room with another person (no, I don't speak of sex, but sex can happen in those situations, too  ;) )? You don't talk anymore, but begin to whisper to each other, the topics of conversation flow from one to the other easily and naturally. You don't have to see the other's face and they can't see yours. This is the time conversations become more and more personal and it's the time the most private confessions are made. I love those blessed moments.

Do you think Ennis was able to verbally share some more thoughts and emotions with Jack on such occations? Words he was not able to speak during the day, but maybe in the darkness of the night? I think especially, but not only,  of their last night together. We talked about why Ennis didn't respond to Jack's "Miss you so much, I can hardly stand it". I have the feeling that he did respond (in whatever way) but it's not shown to us. Do you think he was able to tell Jack that he missed him, too? To be more open?

On Ang Lee:
It's not only about Ang Lee, but about the whole production called BBM. What sense does it make to include (almost) non audible words when nobody will recognize?
I know, film is a piece of art. And this is especially true for BBM. Picasso didn't ask whether people will understand his abstract paintings. He just did it because it seemed right to him. Same goes for all the details and subtleties in BBM. It doesn't matter that many of the audience don't recognize them. Because there are peoplpe who do. And even if you don't recognize them (consiously), they still contribute to make the picture whole. And Ang Lee did include them because they were necessary to make the movie right for him.
But how about the "sorry, c'here, s'alright, later, I love you" and so on? We are not sure whether they are said or not. How much sense does it make to include conversation that is not audible?
Maybe there is no such conversation at all? Maybe it's really only wishful thinking from us?

Quote from Heath:

It's from the Logo Special (Making of?) on the DVD. Heath was asked what he wishes for this movie. This is his answer ("them" refers to the audience):

"I hope it sticks to them, I hope it gets them thinking,  I hope it presents more questions than answers."

I love this quote. For me and I guess all fellow Brokies on BM, I can say: the aim was achieved. It sticks with me since more than two months, more than any other movie (or book) ever haunted me. Unquestionably it makes us all think very hard about all aspects and details from the movie, and about our own lives. And yes, there are far more questions than answers, who would doubt this?

This quote sums it up pretty much for me.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Random thoughts about Ennis, ang Lee and a quote from Heath
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:36:46 pm »
Regarding your first comment:  needless to say, for Jack's sake, I hope and pray that Ennis was more demonstrative than we got to see on screen.  I hope that the last scene we see of them asleep, in which Ennis was holding Jack, was typical of their quiet time.  Jack certainly deserved that and more!  And Annie Proulx took the "I miss you so much" scene farther in the original story than Ang Lee and company did on screen.  Either immediately or shortly after Jack's comment (which has him wanting to whip babies -- yikes -- in the story, not merely "hardly standing" the feelings of longing), Annie lets us know that "Ennis put his arm around Jack, pulled him close."  A full-throttle love scene follows (go boys!) ... sadly missing from the movie.  So there's hope that Jack got from Ennis what you describe.  Let's all hope so!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 04:55:12 pm »
Hi all,

a couple of thougths keep running through my mind the last days. They're random, don't belong together and are not so important to make an own topic for each. So I just share them here and will see whether some of you would like to contribute their own thoughts on it.

First about Ennis:
Do you know the secret, blessed, nightly hours, when it's completely dark, when all artificial lights are turned off and you're lying in your bed/sleeping bag, sharing the room with another person (no, I don't speak of sex, but sex can happen in those situations, too  ;) )? You don't talk anymore, but begin to whisper to each other, the topics of conversation flow from one to the other easily and naturally. You don't have to see the other's face and they can't see yours. This is the time conversations become more and more personal and it's the time the most private confessions are made. I love those blessed moments.

Do you think Ennis was able to verbally share some more thoughts and emotions with Jack on such occations? Words he was not able to speak during the day, but maybe in the darkness of the night? I think especially, but not only,  of their last night together. We talked about why Ennis didn't respond to Jack's "Miss you so much, I can hardly stand it". I have the feeling that he did respond (in whatever way) but it's not shown to us. Do you think he was able to tell Jack that he missed him, too? To be more open?

On Ang Lee:
It's not only about Ang Lee, but about the whole production called BBM. What sense does it make to include (almost) non audible words when nobody will recognize?
I know, film is a piece of art. And this is especially true for BBM. Picasso didn't ask whether people will understand his abstract paintings. He just did it because it seemed right to him. Same goes for all the details and subtleties in BBM. It doesn't matter that many of the audience don't recognize them. Because there are peoplpe who do. And even if you don't recognize them (consiously), they still contribute to make the picture whole. And Ang Lee did include them because they were necessary to make the movie right for him.
But how about the "sorry, c'here, s'alright, later, I love you" and so on? We are not sure whether they are said or not. How much sense does it make to include conversation that is not audible?
Maybe there is no such conversation at all? Maybe it's really only wishful thinking from us?

Quote from Heath:

It's from the Logo Special (Making of?) on the DVD. Heath was asked what he wishes for this movie. This is his answer ("them" refers to the audience):

"I hope it sticks to them, I hope it gets them thinking,  I hope it presents more questions than answers."

I love this quote. For me and I guess all fellow Brokies on BM, I can say: the aim was achieved. It sticks with me since more than two months, more than any other movie (or book) ever haunted me. Unquestionably it makes us all think very hard about all aspects and details from the movie, and about our own lives. And yes, there are far more questions than answers, who would doubt this?

i have a silent part of the movie, in my head.  i dont hear others mention it at all...i keep searching and i dont see it.  i wonder if anyone out there ever heard it. or is it just my imagination.  i dont think sooo.....just when ennis is nuzzling jacks face after the reunion kiss i seem to hear...wait up has anyone else hear that or am i just nuts.

Beautiful mind

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 05:06:31 pm »
Quote from Heath:

OMG, I thought the same thing just last night when I watched the LOGO special again, it is so striking!