Author Topic: Jacks ride to see Ennis with the Sheep.  (Read 3367 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Jacks ride to see Ennis with the Sheep.
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:07:30 pm »
After the first tent scene, Jack actually rides up to where the sheep are pastured to see Ennis "you know I aint....". being the camp tender he would not usually make the trip. This was late afternoon after chores which included washing Ennises shirt. In the movie trailer there is a shot of Jack standing shirtless on the bridge near camp, gathering up courage while is shirt drys by the fire to speak to Ennis? The fist veiwing I didn't get the jack made this trip. I may be the only one.
Also the way this scene is held while the sit close in silence, you know the remained there for some time. Back at camp never stepping more than a few feet apart preparing supper and breaking bread in close, quiet anticipation?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 05:08:39 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
Re: Jacks ride to see Ennis with the Sheep.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 12:31:39 pm »
yeah, i imagined that they didn't say one word to each other after "me neither" until Ennis enters the tent. I think they did have supper without speaking to one another.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:50:21 pm »
Yes, I've always thought it was an interesting issue to try to imagine the choreography of that long day.  The shot from the trailer is helpful in this.  I really wonder why that hit the cutting room floor for the actual movie.  If it made it into the trailer, cutting it must have been a pretty last-minute decision.

I can imagine that their interactions would be pretty awkward that whole evening.  But, we do know that Ennis changes clothes at some point that day.  Undressing and changing clothes in front of Jack would have taken on a much different significance of course by this point.  He seemed very much at ease changing and bathing in front of Jack earlier in the film (before he was aware of the extent of Jack's attraction), I wonder how shy he would have felt changing in front of him now that all the cards are on the table, so to speak.

In another thread about the whole shirt issue, I noticed that during the first tent scene Ennis is wearing his shirt with the broad brown and blue intersecting lines.  It's hard to notice because of the coat... but there are a few moments when you can tell.  When we see Jack doing laundry it looks like he's in the midst of washing Ennis's shirt that ends up being the shirt, one of the pair that Ennis discovers at the end.  By the time we see Ennis sitting in front of the campfire before the second tent scene, he's clearly changed into that shirt.

By the way, I'm increasingly loving the abrupt cut from the "I ain't no queer... me neither" conversation to the second tent scene.  It's like Lee is immediately undercutting those statements or is immediately exposing them as a form of posturing.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 10:39:27 pm »
Damn it, I really wish Ang Lee just followed around Jack and Ennis for the entirety of that day and we saw their every single move.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:29:37 am »
Yes, I've always thought it was an interesting issue to try to imagine the choreography of that long day.  The shot from the trailer is helpful in this.  I really wonder why that hit the cutting room floor for the actual movie.  If it made it into the trailer, cutting it must have been a pretty last-minute decision.

I can imagine that their interactions would be pretty awkward that whole evening.  But, we do know that Ennis changes clothes at some point that day.  Undressing and changing clothes in front of Jack would have taken on a much different significance of course by this point.  He seemed very much at ease changing and bathing in front of Jack earlier in the film (before he was aware of the extent of Jack's attraction), I wonder how shy he would have felt changing in front of him now that all the cards are on the table, so to speak.

In another thread about the whole shirt issue, I noticed that during the first tent scene Ennis is wearing his shirt with the broad brown and blue intersecting lines.  It's hard to notice because of the coat... but there are a few moments when you can tell.  When we see Jack doing laundry it looks like he's in the midst of washing Ennis's shirt that ends up being the shirt, one of the pair that Ennis discovers at the end.  By the time we see Ennis sitting in front of the campfire before the second tent scene, he's clearly changed into that shirt.

By the way, I'm increasingly loving the abrupt cut from the "I ain't no queer... me neither" conversation to the second tent scene.  It's like Lee is immediately undercutting those statements or is immediately exposing them as a form of posturing.
I like to think they rode back to camp together, prepared supper side by side, washed dishes and cookware, both enjoying but eachother not quite understanding their new found intimacy in silent interaction so as not to break the spell. Jack would have made a point to lay out Ennises freshly washed clothes. Ennis likely  bathed as he normally did under the cloak of darkened sky with Jack by the fire. We already know Jack was already spic and span.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:03:45 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 09:40:26 pm »
We already know Jack was already spic and span.

LOL!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I love that line!  Hilarious.

Anyway, seriously, I really like your interpretation jpwagoneer1964. It seems like a really nice way to think of the whole situation.  Yes, they probably did ride down together... maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought of their hilltop conversation as happening late in the day.  I love that Jack just lounges around in the tent and waits for Ennis.  The fact that he's half undressed seems to indicate that he's pretty confident about what's about to happen.  Maybe there were some nice moments at dinner that encouraged him.   

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 11:06:20 pm »
LOL!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I love that line!  Hilarious.

Anyway, seriously, I really like your interpretation jpwagoneer1964. It seems like a really nice way to think of the whole situation.  Yes, they probably did ride down together... maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought of their hilltop conversation as happening late in the day.  I love that Jack just lounges around in the tent and waits for Ennis.  The fact that he's half undressed seems to indicate that he's pretty confident about what's about to happen.  Maybe there were some nice moments at dinner that encouraged him.   
I agree with late in the day as well . It would have taken Jack a while to wash the clothes, especially wait for them to dry whether by sunlight or fire and other chores around the camp. First time I saw this I missed that this didn't happen at camp.("you know I ain't...").
Ennis does acknowlege Jack that morning"Yep...come on"(to the horses)after he turns away the same as when they trade places and Jack says "you wont get much sleep up there".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:05:10 am by jpwagoneer1964 »

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 11:39:52 pm »

Yeah, but in their minds, or at least in Ennis' mind, they ain't queer.  Doesn't Ennis hang on to that illusion all the way 'til the end, 'til the fight scene by the lake?  Isn't that why he blows a gasket, when he gets a hint that Jack may be doin' it with other guys and therefore Jack must be queer?  And if Jack is queer ergo Ennis is too, and that is the reason Ennis goes ballistic?

Hmmm, I think this discussion belongs on another thread...  carry on!
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 11:54:42 pm »
Well, what I meant is that their actions and their words are in pretty clear contradiction.  Or, that Lee is trying to show us the level of denial going on.

And wow, jpwagoneer1964 I've never really heard and/or thought of Ennis acknowledging Jack as he gets on the horse the morning after the first tent scene.  I mean he looks at Jack, but I always assumed that all he's doing is spurring his horse on.  But, it's an interesting idea.