Author Topic: Lead Me to Your Door by marakeshsparrow  (Read 63899 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Lead Me to Your Door by marakeshsparrow
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2006, 05:42:35 pm »
"O Jesui, yet more trouble?"  (as the traitor having his entrails pulled out said in the 15th century). Why is Ennis...so passive? Let's say Jack is his best friend, and he went home because his grandkid was at death's door...wouldn't YOU call every day?

Obviously, Ennis wasn't going to continue to think in that vein very long...which he didn't...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 07:53:54 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2006, 06:47:46 pm »
Here's the link if anyone stil needs it!

Chapter 19 Lead Me to Your Door.

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/25030.html#cutid1

Enjoy!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2006, 08:01:35 pm »
O.K. I have a question, and it applies to you, marakesah sparrow, as well as other fanfiction writers: HOW can you have MIND-BLOWING sex with someone one minute, and an hour later,  be hedging you bets...maybe I just haven't had enough mind-blowing sex (has anyone?)...but when I do, I remember it for a long LONG time, and I don't give a hell of a lot of thought about what sex my partner was, except insofar as it contributed to the MIND-BLOWING SEX! I don't go around worrying if I'm queer, straight, striped, or whatever.  He/she/mix--is DA MAN!

I mean, you go out of the way to make the sex real, real exciting--and then...now wait a minute, I gotta think about this some more...GIMMIE A BREAK!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:03:16 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2006, 10:58:14 pm »
O.K. I have a question, and it applies to you, marakesah sparrow, as well as other fanfiction writers: HOW can you have MIND-BLOWING sex with someone one minute, and an hour later,  be hedging you bets...maybe I just haven't had enough mind-blowing sex (has anyone?)...but when I do, I remember it for a long LONG time, and I don't give a hell of a lot of thought about what sex my partner was, except insofar as it contributed to the MIND-BLOWING SEX! I don't go around worrying if I'm queer, straight, striped, or whatever.  He/she/mix--is DA MAN!

I mean, you go out of the way to make the sex real, real exciting--and then...now wait a minute, I gotta think about this some more...GIMMIE A BREAK!

Okay, I'm going to try and answer this as applies to LMtYD. 

Now certainly one shouldn't be worrying about ANYTHING after having mind blowing sex.  But...well, it's been a while since the mind blowing sex took place, so doubts begin to set in.  I think most of us have doubts, at least I know I DO, when it comes to relationships, and I think that it would be reasonable for Ennis to have some sort of doubt, given the type of person he is, and the trouble he has with "real" commitment, and with his insecurities.  BUT, let me assure you, Ennis is not having doubts.  His mind is doubting things to try and lessen or demean his feeligns towards Jack so he doesn't have to feel the same intensity of pain without him.  He cannot deny it though.  He knows exactly what he's doing, and knows that it isn't true--aka he knows he loves Jack and that Jack is the world to him and that he wants to be with him...if he can burn down all the bridges and actually set his mind to it.

I think this is a reasonable explanation, at least for the character in my story.  Now...as to why Ennis isn't calling Jack, it could be him not wanting to sound needy, trying not to sound worried, probably trying to prove (to himself more than anyone) that there is no need to worry and that he isn't showing what society might consider a "weakness".  Also...well, it certainly adds a more interesting plot don't you think???  ::ehem:: AND a realistic one.

So, I tried to answer your question.  What about other author's though?  What do you guys think???

Jess

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Chapter 20 Teaser
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2006, 05:33:40 pm »
I'll be posting Chapter 20 of LMtYD tomorrow afternoon hopefully sometime before 3pm Central time (not to be too specific or anything... ;))

But, like I did with the last chapie, here's a little taste just to wet your whistle.

Lead Me to Your Door, Chapter 20 Teaser
Jack settled back into the shadow of the booth, chuckling to himself, and re-positioned his hat low over his eyes.  But just as he was feeling normal again, almost comfortable, the door to the bar swung open and in walked three men, the tall one in the middle all smiles and good nature, Polo Shirt and Khaki’s impeccably chosen (most likely by his wife): Leroy Patterson. 

Jack felt his throat tighten and he sat up in the booth.  There he was, and he was with two other friends. 

“Well what did ya expect?  The old woman even told ya he went out with a couple buddies.  You act like this is shockin’ news.”

But now there were two more he had to deal with.  He didn’t know what to do.  He’d been set with his plan when he’d thought Leroy would be home, but now they were in a completely different situation and he was clueless.  He watched them sit (they chose a table in the middle of the room), and then watched as Teeny took their order.  He remained in the dark corner, frozen, as she brought out two pitchers of beer and even as they laughed and joked and drained their first pitcher. 

“Get up.  Get up.  Get up.  Do it, Jack.”

It was almost 11:30 before he stood up, legs shaking, palms sweating, breaths coming in short, sharp intakes.  He shuffled towards their table, hands hanging heavy beside him, boots like they were filled with lead.  He stopped short of the table, cleared his throat.

The men looked up.  Leroy’s eye lit with recognition.  “Jack?  Jack Twist?”

Jack felt like a large roll of quarters was lodged in his throat.  He took in a deep breath and wiped his palms on his jeans.  “Leroy.” His voice came out tight and unfriendly.  “Need ta have a word with you.”
Well, thar she be!  Arg! ::ehem:: Sorry, didn't mean to get all pirate on you.  Hope you enjoy!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2006, 06:15:22 pm »

I like what marakeshsparrow said about this, but I think, for my part, you have to take into account that this is fiction we're writing here and that "realism" is never really realism...  one of the things you have to remember about fiction is that only conflict is interesting, this is one reason (from what I've learned of fiction writing) why even though many AU writers give Jack and Ennis that sweet life, Jack's son still dies or someone in town causes trouble for the two or Jack and Ennis fight... readers, as much as we want Jack and Ennis to be happy, don't want to read 20 pages of pure bliss, it's boring and though true to real life, not real in a fiction sense.... so after hot sex comes more conflict, it's what keeps a story moving, unless it's the end of the story and you've reached the end of your character arc/plot.

I hope that makes sense, if anyone agrees or wants to argue, I'm cool with it  ;D

By the way, marakeshsparrow, I'm really EXCITED! (about the new ch. that is!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:47:15 pm by littleguitar »
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2006, 06:40:53 pm »
I like what marakeshsparrow said about this, but I think, for my part, you have to take into account that this is fiction we're writing here and that "realism" is never really realism...  one of the things you have to remember about fiction is that only conflict is interesting, this is one reason (from what I've learned of fiction writing) why even though many AU writers give Jack and Ennis that sweet life, Jack's son still dies or someone in town causes trouble for the two or Jack and Ennis fight... readers, as much as we want Jack and Ennis to be happy, don't want to read 20 pages of pure bliss, it's boring and though true to real life, not real in a fiction sense.... so after hot sex comes more conflict, it's what keeps a story moving, unless it's the end of the story and you've reached the end of your character.

I hope that makes sense, if anyone agrees or wants to argue, I'm cool with it  ;D

By the way, marakeshsparrow, I'm really EXCITED! (about the new ch. that is!)

Absolutely agree.  Conflict is what makes a story.  That's pretty much all there is to it.  Now, there should be limits...I mean, no one (well maybe someone) wants to read melodrama...unless its written rediculously well.  But the conflict does keep the ball rollin'.

And I'm glad you're excited!   :-*

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2006, 01:44:22 am »
Your a cruel woman you are. Not only do you leave us with evil cliffhangers, you give us teasers too and make us wait!!! I shall probably have to wait until tomorow before I can read this now. No fair.  :( :( :( You enjoy making us suffer dont you? grrrrr. ;) ;)

Offline marakeshsparrow

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2006, 03:51:52 pm »
Your a cruel woman you are. Not only do you leave us with evil cliffhangers, you give us teasers too and make us wait!!! I shall probably have to wait until tomorow before I can read this now. No fair.  :( :( :( You enjoy making us suffer dont you? grrrrr. ;) ;)

No no!  No enjoyment from suffering...not at all...he he he

By the way: Lead Me to Your Door, Chapter 20

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/26503.html#cutid1

Enjoy!  ;D

P.s. I almost wrote "Lead Me to Your Dork" LOL!

mvansand76

« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2006, 12:10:42 pm »
SPOILERS....

Nooooo why? I don't get it, Jack was going up to that guy because he needed to be able to stand up for himself if he wanted to lead that life with Ennis, and as a result he decides to cut his ties with Ennis? This came totally out of the blue! You are keeping us on the edge of our seats! Thanks for posting this, but I am really confused now...  :(  Maybe that is exactly what you were aiming to do?  ;)