Author Topic: Lead Me to Your Door by marakeshsparrow  (Read 63895 times)

mvansand76

Re: Lead Me to Your Door by marakeshsparrow
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2007, 02:47:40 pm »
Oh, as far as I'm concerned FON is completely over. I don't hope for that anymore; everything has been deleted and that's just telling enough for me. As for Dreaming, well I adored that and I tell myself I won't read it but if/when the last chapter ever comes up, I'm sure I will  :D
I'm sure the author's have very good reasons for not updating, just wish they'd let us know  :)

That's the frustrating thing about fanfiction, you never do know for sure if the story has an ending!  :-\

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2007, 08:29:19 pm »
I was just thinking about To Be Alone with You yesterday... I miss that one, almost more than Dreaming. I thought her Jack was incredibly intriguing and sexy, even if I was never sure if he was a good guy or not.

I really don't know what I'll do if Dreaming or FON or any of those that seem to have disappeared suddenly updated again... there are stories like Ronin, The Wolf and the Thunderbird and Light of the Towering Dark that I'll wait what seems like a month or more for an update and hop right back in when they finally appear, but I also know that they will update because I see the authors around the boards and know that those long periods in between are normal for those stories, so I just keep them somewhere in the back of my mind.

But with something like Dreaming... I don't even know where we were in the last chapter  ???
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2007, 10:54:51 am »

But with something like Dreaming... I don't even know where we were in the last chapter  ???

Me neither!! When the last update came up I had to re-read some of the other chapters just to get into the story again. But with The Wolf and the Thunderbird I never have that. I do know a lot of people couldn't remember who Sean was though.
As for To Be Alone with You, I just really wonder how that was going to play out cause she had always said it wasn't going to have a happy end and she had me really intrigued. AND YES! Jack the pirate was incredibly sexy!  ::)  ;D

one_of_one

« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2007, 01:31:49 pm »
Just want to chip in with my agreement about leaving so long between updates.  As both a reader and writer I can see it from both sides, and if other writers are anything like me then the incredible angst about not updating and letting people down can make you not want to say anything because you just feel even worse about it, instead hoping that you either get some kind of inspiration to finish or that real life gives you an opportunity to continue or even that people might just forget about the story.

I tried twice to say something on my journal about one of my stories not continuing and felt physically sick and chickened out.  I even kidded myself that I was going to be able to keep going.  And it was so tough when I eventually did get the courage to speak especially since there had been so so long since an update.  I did say the story was on hold but even then that was keeping people's hopes up, and I feel so bad about that.

But on the other hand as a reader I DO get frustrated just not knowing what is happening, and just a little note to say "it's not happening right now, sorry" would be more than enough for me...and yet I couldn't even manage that myself so who am I to want that from others!

I think in the end we just have to accept that some stories will be written and posted quickly, some stories will take a long time and others will just stop part way through...and ultimately make our own decisions about how we read a fic, whether we take each chapter as it comes or wait till the thing is finished.  I know some peopl eonly read completed works to save themselves the trauma, but hell, they must have nerves of steel!!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2007, 02:17:39 pm »

I think in the end we just have to accept that some stories will be written and posted quickly, some stories will take a long time and others will just stop part way through...and ultimately make our own decisions about how we read a fic, whether we take each chapter as it comes or wait till the thing is finished.  I know some peopl eonly read completed works to save themselves the trauma, but hell, they must have nerves of steel!!

I have accepted that  :) and I know how much trouble you had with one of your stories  :) but you eventually did say something about it and got no bad reactions to it - I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that!! - and at least your readers knew what was going on and were able to 'let go' of that story. Like you said, just a little note would be more than enough.
On the other hand there are some writers out there that are just really brilliant with their updates and will always let us know when they'll be posting or if they are going to be late with posting  :)
Oh and I'm certainly NOT one of those readers that only reads completed works!!! I wouldn't be able to do that! Although reading LMTyD in one straight read was wonderful!!  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2007, 02:58:42 pm »
I have accepted that  :) and I know how much trouble you had with one of your stories  :) but you eventually did say something about it and got no bad reactions to it - I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that!! - and at least your readers knew what was going on and were able to 'let go' of that story. Like you said, just a little note would be more than enough.

Are you guys talking about Some Sweet Life?

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2007, 05:49:11 pm »
just a little note would be more than enough.

Yeah, I think that's the key... it's the wondering that drives me nuts. Helen, I was so happy you let us know what was going on with your story. I knew you were taking a break from it while writing modern way so I wasn't worried and felt like you had told me enough, then letting us know for sure you weren't going to work on it was really helpful. Just little things like that really make a difference for me.  :-*
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

one_of_one

« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2007, 06:42:23 pm »
Are you guys talking about Some Sweet Life?

mm

:-\

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2007, 04:08:05 am »

mm

:-\

Don't feel bad about it, H. For what it's worth I think you made the right decision, you were really stuck and uninspired and it was stressing you out totally.

:-*

mvansand76

« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2007, 08:08:00 am »