Author Topic: Is it back???? Time again for moustaches?  (Read 11454 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Is it back???? Time again for moustaches?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 02:18:58 pm »
I agree with you Amanda--it's a good topic, with some very neat detours along the way about ageism in the movies, and in life. At least we know that in the story, they were getting down to bidness right up till the end. I so wish they had showed that at the last scene of them sitting and talking by the river at night.

This is my first time over here to the open forum, and I'm liking what I see. Nice to know that 6 months later, there are STILL things to be talking about in the movie that haven't been discussed before.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 04:36:54 pm »
Welcome, Jenny! Glad to have you join us here.

I think they do kind of imply that in the last scene -- that quick shot of them together in the tent -- and I am glad that shot made it into the movie. Still, I wish it had been a little more, um, intense.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 05:44:36 pm »
Yeah, for me, it was a nice shot, and is some people's favorite frame in the movie, but a very different portrayal of their relationship than the book showed at that particular point.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 06:08:29 pm »
Yeah, for me, it was a nice shot, and is some people's favorite frame in the movie, but a very different portrayal of their relationship than the book showed at that particular point.

I'm guessing that Lee is letting the audience imagine and assume that their relationship continued to be physical.  Some of the glimpses of their later camping trips are so brief that we hardly have time to get our bearings or to see much real interaction between Jack and Ennis at all.  I do think this is a minor flaw with the movie.  I would prefer to have seen more of the later conversations (not to mention love scenes) between Jack and Ennis, and I mean conversations that weren't filled with tension and arguments.  I feel like we often find ourselves learning more about the Lureen/Alma/Cassie/Randall characters and their involvement in our boys' lives than we learn about how the main relationship actually developed.  I'm guessing that Lee is trying to make the audience actually feel the same kind of frustration that Jack feels when he says "never enough time, never enough".  I mean I know I'm frustrated by the lack of time the camera spends on the two of them together in the second half of the film.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 11:44:05 pm »
I do think this is a minor flaw with the movie.  I would prefer to have seen more of the later conversations (not to mention love scenes) between Jack and Ennis, and I mean conversations that weren't filled with tension and arguments.  I feel like we often find ourselves learning more about the Lureen/Alma/Cassie/Randall characters and their involvement in our boys' lives than we learn about how the main relationship actually developed.  I'm guessing that Lee is trying to make the audience actually feel the same kind of frustration that Jack feels when he says "never enough time, never enough".  I mean I know I'm frustrated by the lack of time the camera spends on the two of them together in the second half of the film.

Me too. And though I understand Ang Lee's objective, I sometimes think he may have gone a bit TOO far. Just because something's a masterpiece doesn't mean it's perfect. Surely there could be some happy medium -- a teeny glimpse, at least, of the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 12:28:58 am »
Ha ha ha!    I know what you meant.   

Very true though.    The public likes to see the "Pretty People" in their movies and love scenes.    Let's face it,  the actors were not anything like the descriptions in the original story.  

It is a cold reality in the work force too.  Companies like to hire an attractive receptionist and sales reps.    If you were born with exceptional good looks, you go alot farther in life that us who don't.   :-\

Yes. Didn't the author describe Ennis as a "buck tooth youth" or something like that? That is a far cry from Heath Ledger! Still, I sure was happy to see Heath up there on the screen. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 07:35:31 pm »
Hi David,
Proulx describes her version of Jack as having an overbite.  Jack is made significantly more glamourous in the movie.
 :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 07:43:14 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 07:41:18 pm »
Great minds, Amanda! I just two minutes ago finished a post on this very subject in the "Randall really is" thread!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 08:49:42 pm »
Hi David,
Proulx describes her version of Jack as having an overbite.  Jack is made significantly more glamourous in the movie.
 :D

Amanda. Ah! Thank you. Yes, Jake Gyllenhaal is a far cry from Annie Proulx's description of Jack. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 02:23:39 am »
Amanda. Ah! Thank you. Yes, Jake Gyllenhaal is a far cry from Annie Proulx's description of Jack. :)

Annie said she thought Jake was "too pretty" for the part. If you've read the book, you know he is,
but I don't mind that at all!   ;)

Rayn