Author Topic: Friends... Romans... Tremblayans... it's cool, I'm calm, just a note on invites.  (Read 10328 times)

TheStudDuck

Greetings!

I had mentioned this idea before when the subject of a new home had come up and I just wanted to officially bring it up here and see what everyone has to say about it.

In order to protect ourselves (and we are trying our best to do so) we should really all pledge to be dedicated to this place and the safety of all of our fellow members.  I think it almost needs to be required that we have designated people to do certain things.

For instance... elect our own officials to be in charge of the invites.  If we have like five people working together on invitations, then they are able to keep track of who has been invited and who hasn't -- and they can keep us safe by knowing exactly what the criteria for an invite should be... such as posting history, reputation, etc.  Is anyone up to the idea of elected officials?

Also, I would like to nominated Clarissa and Celeste to share in the titles of "Co- Board Mothers" as they are our moderators... which would essentially give them the position of a judge -- to neutrally settle any possible disputes that may come about or oversee any major projects or decisions that might arise.

I think a registry might also be a good idea... I mean, again... just to know who all is here with us and who isn't yet.  This could help whoever may be in charge of inviting -- should we decide to go that route.

But for the record... I really think it would be a great idea to have people assigned to be in charge of inviting people... just to keep us safe and so we're not all scrambling to try to figure out who knows about this place and who does.

David
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:47:06 pm by TheStudDuck »

EnnisDelMar

Re: Tremblayan Government
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:16:58 pm »
Ohh can I be an 'Official' since I started the Pierre board? 8)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:17:58 pm »
I know this will sound biased, but I agree with you completely about the invites right now.  We want to be really careful, and Ellemeno especially knows some scary inside info about who we can trust and not. 

Please, please, please PM either of us about invites.  If you post them in random threads, they will get missed.  I have the latest, most updated invite, full of all sorts of cautions about joining and discussing this board, and would like people to have the full info before they come over.

So - at least for invites, at least for now, I'm seconding David on this one.  Hopefully we don't have disputes needing settling, or any other governance issues, although I'll say right now (not to create more disuptes...) that (1) I think he was killed, and (2) it was "s'alright, s'alright, s'alright". 

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:31:05 pm by yaadpyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline YaadPyar

Founding Father
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:19:44 pm »
Ohh can I be an 'Official' since I started the Pierre board? 8)

Absolutely - what kind of official do you want to be?  You are the intrepid exlporer who had the vision of what this could be, and have been with it every step of the way.  And continue to be...that makes you a Founding Father, no?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

dmmb_Mandy

Re: -- FRIENDS, ROMANS, TREMBLAYAN CITIZENS... LEND ME YOUR EARS!!! --
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:35 pm »
"I'll say right now that (1) I think he was killed, and (2) it was "s'alright, s'alright, s'alright".  "

LOL, I love you Celeste.

David, I agree about the invites.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:57 pm »
David--take a deep breath, relax, breath through your mouth--

I appreciate your sincerity but I feel like you are going a bit off the deep end. Voting for governments? Electing officers? Calm down, it will all work out. People are sorting themselves out on the inviting thing--it will work out.

I thought you were going to take a week long vacation and not visit any boards? Obviously, you decided not to, but my I am feeling you are still a little stressed.....just relax, enjoy the new site...you don' need to worry so much

My 2 cents but I am on your side my friend, relax.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:27:36 pm »
I appreciate your sincerity but I feel like you are going a bit off the deep end. Voting for governments? Electing officers? Calm down, it will all work out. People are sorting themselves out on the inviting thing--it will work out.

Agreed

TheStudDuck

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:31:14 pm »
I can't quit you guys... I wanted to go on a vacation... but may I'll cut down a bit.  I just want to keep this place safe and honestly... I think that if we had people in charge of the invites at the IMDb, it may not have gotten to the point where we were driven out.  People were inviting people they had known for like a day.

I'm sorry if you feel it is overreacting... it's not like I want to draw up doctrines and have rules and everything be like the U.S. Government or something... I just think it'd be nice to say, "okay, these three people are doing the invites, let them do the invites and nobody else do them, that way we'll all know who is being invited and who isn't."

It just seems so sensible to me... maybe it's just me...

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 10:31:57 pm »
"I'll say right now that (1) I think he was killed, and (2) it was "s'alright, s'alright, s'alright".  "

LOL, I love you Celeste.

It's totally mutual!

:-*

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 10:35:01 pm »
I can't quit you guys... I wanted to go on a vacation... but may I'll cut down a bit.  I just want to keep this place safe and honestly... I think that if we had people in charge of the invites at the IMDb, it may not have gotten to the point where we were driven out.  People were inviting people they had known for like a day.

I think the biggest problem was people following people through their history.  I was one of the first people on CT and I remember a lot of people showing up and saying "I found you" or "There you are".......so that now eliminates that problem now....

But you are right having someone or some people in charge of inviting is a good idea.....I agree with that one...

TheStudDuck

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 10:38:06 pm »
Yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound like some big lavish system of checks and balances... I just love analogies!

"Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it..."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 10:39:19 pm »
I just think it'd be nice to say, "okay, these three people are doing the invites, let them do the invites and nobody else do them, that way we'll all know who is being invited and who isn't."

Folks have been pretty great about contacting me aleady (since all the invites came through me). 

You can follow anyone, anywhere on IMDb, and never know who's lurking.  Here, you can see the members present, posting, and even reading on every single thread.  Just look in the upper corner.  I can see that Chanterais is the latest member to join!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 10:41:11 pm »
We had no control at IMDb--we thought we did, we thought the admins were sympathetic to us, but we learned that lesson the hard way. I am hoping things are different here....meanwhile, David...relax. It will work out..I truly believe this!
Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 10:42:09 pm »
I just think it'd be nice to say, "okay, these three people are doing the invites, let them do the invites and nobody else do them, that way we'll all know who is being invited and who isn't."

Folks have been pretty great about contacting me aleady (since all the invites came through me). 

You can follow anyone, anywhere on IMDb, and never know who's lurking.  Here, you can see the members present, posting, and even reading on every single thread.  Just look in the upper corner.  I can see that Chanterais is the latest member to join!

This place is 100 times better........no contest!

TheStudDuck

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 10:43:54 pm »
Hehe... I know Leslie... I'm still a bit stressed out, I know... obviously I haven't had my "me time" yet.  I need to do that... perhaps after I get settled in here I would do a little bit of that.  I just love ya'll so much!

I forgot how much security we do have here... sadly I've been conditioned to feel very unsafe if I am not protecting myself

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 10:49:20 pm »
Hi! I made it here! Registered here as Jeff Wrangler. 8^)
Thanks to Celeste and Leslie for both seeing I got the necessary info.
I guess I'm way behind the curve on this, but I'm in favor of having invites or requests for invitations channeled through the moderators. Isn't that the issue?
Jeff Wrangler, aka Jeff Scheib, aka JScheib, aka JLScheib ... you get the idea who I am. 8^)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Jeff, sweetie pie, welcome--

Notice my little personal pic (or whatever the heck it is called)--I have the dozy embrace!! Thanks to Hannah (my 14 almost 15) year old for that great little touch...:-)

Offline YaadPyar

Hi! I made it here! Registered here as Jeff Wrangler. 8^)
I guess I'm way behind the curve on this, but I'm in favor of having invites or requests for invitations channeled through the moderators. Isn't that the issue?
Jeff Wrangler, aka Jeff Scheib, aka JScheib, aka JLScheib ... you get the idea who I am. 8^)

WELCOME Jeff.  Your multiple names gave me my biggest headache today.  I'm just going to remember this one name now, and remember it always.   :-*

Offline YaadPyar

David - please check out the "...troll patrol" thread I started.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 11:28:46 pm »

Agreed

Agreed as well.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Just feel like saying: I shall invite no one without talking to Elle or Yaad.

I miss the three grey cats.  I'd put a few up here right now.

JeffWrangler... which Jeff are you?

I'll check the directory for your city.  Hee hee.

Sssss/Hhhhh

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
I know we all have a lot of concerns about this sparkling new place becoming polluted, but I have to stand up and say I'm with Leslie on this one.  We've all been so spooked by what's happened, I don't think anybody's inviting anyone who isn't an Old Hand (Old Paw in Henrypie's case).  I certainly am not taking any chances. 

I do have to admit to being a bit leery of the idea of getting permission from anyone to issue invites.  I mean to cast no slurs on Elle and Yad, who have done such a stellar job of leading the way.  But we're all grown-ups.  We can exercise good judgement, especially for the next little while.  If anyone is in doubt, propose a prospective Tremblayer, and we'll have a little peer review.

Speaking as the Poli Sci student, I guess I'm saying I'd prefer direct democracy rather than representative government.  We're all friends here, and I'm sure everyone will be careful.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 12:39:49 am »
LOL, I'm with you, Celeste!
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline YaadPyar

Invitations
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 12:57:16 am »
OK - updated thought on this.  This is not my site.  We have a creator and uber-moderator in Phil, and he's wonderful.  This space has been lent to us out of his generosity and is all of ours to use carefully and responsibly and the folks here are the kind who will do that.

Please invite absolutely anyone as long as you know and trust them for certain.  They can have posted at CT or IMDb or anywhere else, but please, please, please just make sure they are a friend.  The count of who has been invited has been completely lost even from me.

ENJOY!!

Offline Ellemeno

I'm way behind, just found this.

First off, thank you David, my 20 year old friend, for suggesting I be a board mother.  While it might seem appropriate for me to be your board mother, I think our 52 year old friend and 62 year old friend might feel differently.

Here's what I want re who to invite: I want us all to invite anyone we want as long as -

a) they have a LONG posting history, where they actually show they saw the movie, not just "I saw two cowboys today and it made me think of Brokeback Mountain."

And b) you really want them here.

I invited about 40 people today, and would have invited more, but I knew one or another person was inviting them. I don't perceive that I was doing it in an official capacity, I did it just because I wanted those people here and thought they would love it.  (And it took a long time, with the "have to wait 90 seconds between PMs" at IMDb.)

Invite any LONGTIMERS you WANT, I say.

Love,

Clarissa

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Perhaps you two could post who you have already invited and we could all PM you with suggestions and links to their IMDB profiles for you to check out yourself?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

Hi Kelda, it would be shorter to say that almost everyone I invited is here now, except (as far as I know):

Tremblayans move on    You-Bet    Thu Mar 30 2006 21:48:26
Tremblayans move on    sunmoonstars-1    Thu Mar 30 2006 21:46:16
Tremblayans move on    Shuggy    Thu Mar 30 2006 21:39:11
Tremblayans move on    sfulk    Thu Mar 30 2006 21:31:18
Tremblayans move on    naun    Thu Mar 30 2006 21:17:14
Tremblayans move on    Rontrigger    Thu Mar 30 2006 21:12:06
Tremblayans move on    mlewisusc    Thu Mar 30 2006 20:45:17
Tremblayans move on    momoro    Thu Mar 30 2006 20:15:15
Tremblayans move on    lucise    Thu Mar 30 2006 20:03:47
Tremblayans move on    bkamberger    Thu Mar 30 2006 18:35:01
Tremblayans move on    jshane2002    Thu Mar 30 2006 17:51:37
Tremblayans move on    HobokenJeff    Thu Mar 30 2006 17:45:17
Tremblayans move on    EnnisLovesJack    Thu Mar 30 2006 17:24:39
Tremblay next steps    NYCx    Tue Mar 28 2006 19:32:01
Tremblay next steps    amy7769    Mon Mar 27 2006 22:23:28
Tremblay next steps    jeffhanna3    Mon Mar 27 2006 17:45:01

TheStudDuck

I'm pretty sure Shuggy is here... when I was lurking a while back, up in my top right corner it said... "Latest Member: Shuggy"

So if that accounts for anything...