Author Topic: Other than Brokeback..  (Read 10116 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Other than Brokeback..
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »
Here's a nice connection:  Chrissi's throwback Thursday bump is of old reviews, and here's one from the Stanford Daily:

"Ledger (  ) succeeds wildly in a role so completely original that he seems to have had nothing to draw on aside from a tremendous amount of heart."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 01:55:32 pm »
Heath created Ennis out of thin air, an incredible accomplishment.

Amen, friend!  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »

Same here. Even after all the years between, I haven't seen a single one of them. Not out of spite, but out of lack of interest. Albeit Munich probably is worth it.
I remember that after Brokeback, I couldn't watch any other movie for months. :o
Not on TV, not on DVD, not in theater - no movie held my interest for more than ten minutes. OTOH, I probably wouldn't even had the time to find the two hours, I pulled enough night shifts on the interent as it was. :laugh:

Neither did I! I was so consumed by BbM I could not put my attention anywhere else. Except of course my father in the hospital for weeks.

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 01:03:33 am »
I've never watched "Crash" and never will.  Dumbass Academy voters.  >:(

I saw Capote and liked it fine.  However good PSH was, it's still just an impression of a real person.  Heath created Ennis out of thin air, an incredible accomplishment.

My sentiments exactly, Paul.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »
I watched Crash just to view the competition.  It wasn't a film; it was a blunt instrument, and I had no desire ever to see it again.  

I saw Capote and liked it fine.  However good PSH was, it's still just an impression of a real person.  Heath created Ennis out of thin air, and incredible accomplishment.

Exactly!

Incomparable!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 12:44:09 pm »
I've seen all of them except "Munich," the movie that I would have seen instead on the night I went to "Brokeback," except that it didn't fit as well into my schedule. Somewhere out there is an alternative-universe me who did go to "Munich" instead, and is now living a whole different life. She's financially richer, probably  ;D, but far poorer in terms of friends, experiences, understanding of film and literature. And she missed a damn fun BBQ in 2007.

Anyway, I thought all of the others were good. But IMO "Crash," while worth watching, was in a lower league than the others. Paul's "blunt instrument" description is exactly right. And "Brokeback," needless to say, was far and away the best. If I were conspiracy-minded, which I'm not, I'd think the academy somehow secretly jammed "Crash" in there -- it was sort of a last-minute dark-horse candidate, as I recall -- so they could all agree on something with a politically progressive message, without having to upset stodgier members like Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »
I've seen all of them except "Munich," the movie that I would have seen instead on the night I went to "Brokeback," except that it didn't fit as well into my schedule. Somewhere out there is an alternative-universe me who did go to "Munich" instead, and is now living a whole different life. She's financially richer, probably  ;D, but far poorer in terms of friends, experiences, understanding of film and literature. And she missed a damn fun BBQ in 2007.

Amen, sister!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »
Somewhere out there is an alternative-universe me who did go to "Munich" instead, and is now living a whole different life. She's financially richer, probably  ;D, but far poorer in terms of friends, experiences, understanding of film and literature. And she missed a damn fun BBQ in 2007.

:D :D :D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!