Author Topic: Toy horse and rodeo rider  (Read 18483 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Toy horse and rodeo rider
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 06:18:16 pm »
the wooden horse that Adrian brought to the Castro didn't look like balsa. I didn't touch the piece, because like Barb, I had butter on my hands. but from seeing it, it's a harder wood, though light in color like balsa.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 10:40:45 pm »
the wooden horse that Adrian brought to the Castro didn't look like balsa. I didn't touch the piece, because like Barb, I had butter on my hands. but from seeing it, it's a harder wood, though light in color like balsa.

The horse appears to be made of balsawood. But, unless Ennis brought some up the mountain in his paper bag, there's nowhere in Wyoming where it is a native tree (I think). But realistically, it is a film prop, and it could be any kind of wood - I don't think it's metal - you couldn't carve metal with a bowie knife.

Does this then mean that the two of you might support my theory that Ennis may have carved that little horse for Jack? I suggested this on IMDb a couple of times and caught seven kinds of hell for it!
 ???

They show Ennis carving a little horse when he is sitting in the tent, and then later, at the end of the movie there is a little horse sitting on Jack's dresser. The horse on Jack's dresser did have a cowboy on it, and the horse Ennis was carving didn't, but this doesn't mean Ennis couldn't have carved another toy for Jack later on. Or perhaps carved a little cowboy and then glued it on the horse he was carving in the tent. Anything is possible. But Ennis RECOGNIZED the horse on Jack's dresser. At least that is what it looked like to me!! I think he carved it. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 10:49:48 pm »
Does this then mean that the two of you might support my theory that Ennis may have carved that little horse for Jack? I suggested this on IMDb a couple of times and caught seven kinds of hell for it!
 ???

David, I would never give you even one kind of hell for it. But I'll have to say that the one in Jack's room looks pretty intricate, and Ennis didn't appear to be THAT good a carver. Still, I support the right of any viewer to interpret any ambiguous thing any way they like!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 11:00:22 pm »
David, I would never give you even one kind of hell for it. But I'll have to say that the one in Jack's room looks pretty intricate, and Ennis didn't appear to be THAT good a carver. Still, I support the right of any viewer to interpret any ambiguous thing any way they like!

I was always willing to admit I could be wrong. Like you said, it is ambiguous. And probably, I am wrong. It sure is a nice thought though. So, I guess I will keep on thinking it.  :)

gattaca

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 11:26:30 pm »
Here is what I think (I have no hard evidence, it is just a gut feeling).

I think Ennis was carving the horse in the tent as a way to pass the time (what I would have done) - and then quite possibly have given it to Jack some time after it was done, but did not make it with Jack in mind, at least not at first.

I think the horse and rider that Ennis focused on in Jack's boyhood room in Lightning Flat was a potent reminder of that earlier time - associative memories are very powerful and would certainly have brought tears since Ennis had strong feelings for Jack which included horses and mountains and their long-ago time together.

:)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 11:46:46 pm »
It sure is a nice thought though. So, I guess I will keep on thinking it.  :)

I like to do that, too!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 02:19:29 am »
Here is what I think (I have no hard evidence, it is just a gut feeling).

I think Ennis was carving the horse in the tent as a way to pass the time (what I would have done) - and then quite possibly have given it to Jack some time after it was done, but did not make it with Jack in mind, at least not at first.

I think the horse and rider that Ennis focused on in Jack's boyhood room in Lightning Flat was a potent reminder of that earlier time - associative memories are very powerful and would certainly have brought tears since Ennis had strong feelings for Jack which included horses and mountains and their long-ago time together.

:)

Gregg... you know what? I could actually live with your theory!

Thank you so much for posting it! It makes sense, and yet it is beautiful and poignant too.  :)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 02:34:07 am »
it's too vague to tell whether the horse was or wasn't carved by Ennis for Jack. There's not evidence to say one way or the other. To me the horse is part of the many evidence of Jack's failed dreams. It reminds us that Jack wanted to be a rodeo cowboy, which he did become but was never successful at it. A small rifle also exist in the room, reminding us how Jack never was a good shooter.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 04:06:11 am »
it's too vague to tell whether the horse was or wasn't carved by Ennis for Jack. There's not evidence to say one way or the other. To me the horse is part of the many evidence of Jack's failed dreams. It reminds us that Jack wanted to be a rodeo cowboy, which he did become but was never successful at it. A small rifle also exist in the room, reminding us how Jack never was a good shooter.

Starboardlight -

I guess I have to take your word for it, since you actually saw the horse in person. Actually you are  correct, I think. I conjure many things in my mind, and sometimes I  guess I might get a little too "Hollywood".

I just like to think that perhaps... maybe....

Ya know? :)

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 06:04:56 am »
I'm sorry if somebody already asked this question.

What is the little toy horse made of? I always thought it was made of wood (reinforcing my long disputed theory that Ennis actually carved the horse for Jack. I like to think he did anyhow) or is it made of metal. Some people over on IMDb tried to tell me it was a metal toy horse.
The horse appears to be made of balsawood. But, unless Ennis brought some up the mountain in his paper bag, there's nowhere in Wyoming where it is a native tree (I think). But realistically, it is a film prop, and it could be any kind of wood - I don't think it's metal - you couldn't carve metal with a bowie knife.

Hi guys,

I emailed the props man who sold me the horse, and although I didn't ask the kind of wood, I did find out that it was carved by a Brian Faul of Calgary.  The wood seems like pine.  Also I was a little worried of all the buttered popcorn fingers at the Castro, but everyone was so careful and respectful. 

David, I mentioned a while ago that originally I did think that it was the same horse as in Jacks bedroom, however, when I asked the props man if he were planning to sell the other toy horse and rider, he said that it was part of SET DECORATION and not PROPS.  Therefore it cannot be an integral part of the story, but merely "atmosphere" for that very melancholic scene.  I hoped it was 'the' horse, but I think it was just a toy acquired by Jack that reminded him of Ennis and them earlier Brokeback days..............maybe??
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx