Author Topic: Toy horse and rodeo rider  (Read 18265 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Toy horse and rodeo rider
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:49 am »
it's too vague to tell whether the horse was or wasn't carved by Ennis for Jack. There's not evidence to say one way or the other.

Far be it from me to contradict anybody's preferred way of seeing things. But I do think that if the filmmakers intended to indicate that the horse was carved by Ennis for Jack, the movie would have made it clearer. Shown that Ennis had the skills to carve such an elaborate sculpture, shown Jack holding it on Brokeback, zoomed in to show that the one in Jack's room was handcarved wood (Ennis' initials on it) ... whatever. If there's any big discovery to be made in that room, I think it's in the closet.

However, I also believe in this little space of reality that exists beyond what the fillmmakers' intentions, where Ennis and Jack just go about living their lives, doing things that just didn't happen to get captured on film. So in that reality, I'm perfectly willing to believe that Ennis carved the horse for Jack.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 10:53:41 am »
I just like to think that perhaps... maybe....

Ya know? :)

he he. yeah, i know.  ;)
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 09:21:54 pm »
Bump! 8)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 10:57:33 pm »
Hello everyone,
   I'm new here, but I can contribute something to this thread.  I currently own the carved horse and knife used in the movie.  I bought it on Ebay, the prop man, Ken Wills, was selling many of the props used in the movie.  I was really lucky to acquire this beautiful piece from this amazing film.  Anyway, I contacted Ken and asked if he was planning to sell the horse and cowboy found in Jacks room.  He said that, that item came from set decoration and NOT the properties dept..  This leads me to believe that this "toy" found in Jack's room was not an integral part of the scene, otherwise it would be part of the PROPS department, and not just set decoration.  It was probably something Jack acquired after Brokeback, reminding him of Ennis (it is wearing a light colored hat).

For those attending the San Fransisco screening of the movie on June 12-14, I will be displaying the horse and knife, with permission from the Castro Theater management, in the lobby for all to enjoy.

Adrian

Oh MY God!!! you are so lucky!!
envy you!!
but it's in good hand.
Congratulation!

i heard they sell the shirts. wonder who they land to. hope in a fan
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 11:35:50 am »
Adrian makes his own luck! He worked really hard to acquire that horse and knife and I was honored to spend some time with it at the Wonder Bar in Casper, Wyoming, when he and I and several other Brokies met in mid-October. We also attended the Casper literary event where we met Annie Proulx at a panel discussion on The Myth and Reality of the Cowboy. It is definitely made of pine, and, as AP said in the story, the lodgepole pine is the dominant tree species in that area. You'll notice an ax on a stump in the camp, and that is where Ennis undoubtedly obtained the block that became the Horse. Altho the Horse is primitive in style, you can see by the knife marks that it was carved by a skilled hand. It has sturdy tho graceful flanks and its legs and neck are in good proportion to the body.

The toy horse, on the other hand, is rather stilted and skinny. It has a stiff look about it. It appears to be made of metal. The rider has a top-heavy looking hat. When he picked up the toy horse, Ennis, if I read him correctly, would have thought of that other horse that he had whittled, how warm and full of life force it was, and how he had tossed it away just like he tossed away the log that last day on the mountain. And that is when you see the tears appear.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 05:02:45 pm »
Oh MY God!!! you are so lucky!!
envy you!!
but it's in good hand.
Congratulation!

Here is the horse and knife in it's home when I take it to BBM events:

Adrian

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:08:47 pm by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 10:40:20 pm »

When he picked up the toy horse, Ennis, if I read him correctly, would have thought of that other horse that he had whittled, how warm and full of life force it was, and how he had tossed it away just like he tossed away the log that last day on the mountain. And that is when you see the tears appear.

FR, i am afraid i don't get what you are saying... what other horse? though  i got it about tossing the wood log on the last day.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 08:39:15 pm »
I think the two horses in question are (1) the animal/ horse that Ennis appears to be whittling in the tent up on Brokeback in the summer of '63 and (2) the horse we see in Jack's room at the end.

by the way...
Bump!
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 06:46:15 pm »
Adrian, you have one of the toy horses?

Was there another? Where is that one?
Does anyone know?

Au revoir,