Author Topic: My Dad is gone.  (Read 9388 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: My Dad is gone.
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 06:04:57 pm »
Barb, so sorry to hear about your dad's passing..

Big hug {{{BARB}}}!

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »

You don't sound cold and it isn't cold to be relieved. 
You know he rests in solace now.

Sending a warm hug your way, Barb.

Take care,
~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:05 am »

I'm so, so sorry for your loss {{Barb}}.   :'( :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 01:34:03 am »
Sincere condolences to you and your family on  your Dad's passing, Barb.  Thanks for letting us know.  (((((Barb)))))
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 10:58:39 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for your very kind words.

I'm doing OK outwardly, but apparently it's eating me up inside.  Got diagnosed with the Shingles, for God's sake, late last week.  Fortunately, it's concentrated itself on just one of my legs.  Unfortunately, even oxycontin can't make a dent in the pain - it just makes me paranoid but my leg still hurts like a sonofabitch.  (Thank goodness for Extra Strength Excedrin - who knew it could be so effective?)  Still, it could be a lot worse.

I'm going up to NY for another memorial for my Dad this weekend - this time in my home town and the town in which he lived for 25 years before moving to NC.  The memorial in NC was very trying - mostly because my stepmom went ballistic a couple of times and alienated half the family.  I'm hoping it'll be a little more calm this time with the salve of time on our side, and with it being on somewhat more neutral territory (my brother and I are staying with our other brother - one of the ones she went ballistic on a month ago - instead of with her - long, fucked up story).  She and I are still getting along - because that's what I do - get along - even though, by all accounts, I shouldn't even be speaking to her right now.

Sigh.  There's a reason we move hundreds - sometimes thousands - of miles away from them, isn't there?

Thanks again for all your loving support.  You all are truly the best people I've ever known, and I'm so grateful for your gentle hearts.
No more beans!

Offline optom3

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »
Please be really careful with shingles, you must have mentally got very run down.hardly surprising  in the circumstances. It is hellish painful as well. Just watch out for any remote signs of it going near your face. It can affect the eye, and starts as a pricking feeling, as if you have an eyelash in your eye. The reason I am telling you, is that it can be treated effectively as long as patients do not ignore it.
Sorry I have my Optometrist head on, doctors here may be better,it's just I know in England they frequently do not advise about possible eye involvement.So patients leave it too long to go and get treatment.
I hope you get over it quickly,you realy must feel miserable with it.
What a time of it you are having.I hope things settle a bit for you sooner rather than later.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:31 pm »
Barb, hope you feel better with those shingles. Myself, I always think of oxycontin as the silver lining to just about any malady, but I know not everybody feels the same, so I'm sorry.

What I'm glad about is to know that when you're in pain, physical or emotional, you still feel this is a good place to come to talk about it. Keep it up, Bud. We'll be here for you.

:-*

Katherine

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:20 am »
Hey Barb, I hope the trees are beautiful for your trip to NY.  Shingles suck.  I would take a good B complex and lysine.  And, devastatingly, I would stay away from chocolate til it subsides. 

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 02:06:41 am »
OMG Barb, I do feel for you with those dam shingles. My hubby had them a couple of years ago, on one side of his neck and it went up thru his hair, and he said he had never experienced anything so painful.

And yes, it is a sign of being run down mentally, which shows just how much all these past months have affected you.

Take care and build up your strength again. My thoughts are with you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 08:35:18 am »
Any better today ?? I don't know where you live, but in England, di hydro codeine is the best P.K you can get. You could also get some calm you down tablets. Even though you might not feel stressed, you probably are and when we are stressed our bodies deal with pain much less well.

Sorry if it sounds like I am trying to turn you into some kind of junkie, but I saw so many cases of shingles when I was in practice and I worry about people when they get it as I know the pain is hell,I have seen grown men cry with the pain, particularly if it gets in your eye.

So please be careful and look after yourself.