Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120051 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Who Loves Fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2006, 04:15:30 pm »
I transposed the choice "never had...." and pressed enter just as I realized I goofed.  I have had a fish taco, just once, and didn't like it.  They are still the big rage in San Diego.  As for fish in general, love catfish, shark and tuna.  Being from the south, catfish, hush puppies and cole slaw is required eating at least 2 times a week; but I live in S.D. now, and no longer crave it, but still enjoy it when I can. I discovered shark a few years ago when it first hit the markets, and when I told my friend I had bought some he thought I was putting him on....he believed we were supposed to watch the sharks, not eat them.  (Oh, my, that just slipped out).  I don't eat nearly as much fish as I should.  Talapia has become a big seller in the small Mexican market I go to each week, and tried once to fry it, but it was a disaster.  So I'm on the lookout for a nice simple recipe using talapia, and hope for better results....Doug

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2006, 04:24:53 pm »
I've always wondered what shark tastes like (not that I would ever try it). I don't like fish.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2006, 05:28:37 pm »
For a person who doesn't like fish, you sure show up here a lot, David! But that's okay, I would be lonely here without U!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2006, 07:15:54 pm »
For a person who doesn't like fish, you sure show up here a lot, David! But that's okay, I would be lonely here without U!

Well, I hate fish, but I love the people here.

Who would have ever thought a thread about fish would be so interesting?

horo35

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2006, 12:25:11 am »
Mmm..fish tacos.  Sound rather horrid! lol not sure if I'd like those....but i'd never really know for sure since I have never tried em.  A good fish dish is gefilte.  It's fish mixed in with matza, boiled and usually served cold with red horseradish.  Or pickled herring in wine sauce and onions..good on crackers.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2006, 12:51:50 am »
Mmm..fish tacos.  Sound rather horrid! lol not sure if I'd like those....but i'd never really know for sure since I have never tried em.  A good fish dish is gefilte.  It's fish mixed in with matza, boiled and usually served cold with red horseradish.  Or pickled herring in wine sauce and onions..good on crackers.

But what is it though? Are they like sardines? Are they filleted first? I have heard of gefilte before. Somebody told me they were salty. Do you find them salty?

Well, I've tried the fish tacos, I guess I will have to try gefilte fish next.

horo35

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:16 am »
But what is it though? Are they like sardines? Are they filleted first? I have heard of gefilte before. Somebody told me they were salty. Do you find them salty?

Well, I've tried the fish tacos, I guess I will have to try gefilte fish next.
Gefllte fish is usually used with a fish or multiple kinds of fish that are kosher (yes it's a Jewish dish), fillited, chopped up very fine and pressed/mixed into a large mass with matzah and boiled. They are not salty although one can put a bit of spices in with the mixture if they want.   Perhaps Jake has tried them..he is after all part Jewish.   ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2006, 01:15:31 am »
Gefllte fish is usually used with a fish or multiple kinds of fish that are kosher (yes it's a Jewish dish), fillited, chopped up very fine and pressed/mixed into a large mass with matzah and boiled. They are not salty although one can put a bit of spices in with the mixture if they want.   Perhaps Jake has tried them..he is after all part Jewish.   ;)

That doesn't sound bad at all.  :D

Especially if they are chopped up very fine. I'll have to give it a try.

I remember watching my Dutch grandfather swallow fish whole when I was a kid. He made me try one when we were in Holland.

:P :P

You know what? Maybe that is why I don't like fish anymore. That was really awful.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2006, 03:57:23 am »

I just read the last 5 pages in one sitting and that's what I was thinking!  :)

Did I already write in this thread, way back, that there is a small chain of very good little joints here in Seattle called Taco Del Mar, and their specialty is fish tacos?  The year we have our gathering in Seattle, we'll all go.  And David can order the chicken tacos, and Melissa can order the beef. :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2006, 06:45:14 am »
...a small chain of very good little joints here in Seattle called Taco Del Mar, and their specialty is fish tacos?  The year we have our gathering in Seattle, we'll all go.  And David can order the chicken tacos, and Melissa can order the beef. :)

Count me in!!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."