Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120048 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Who Loves Fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2006, 11:24:05 am »
Me too! And, by the way, I'm planning to serve trout at the Brokeback BBQ in 2007 in Estes Park, Colorado, and all the taco fixins will be there too! There will also be elk, buffalo, boar, frog legs, alligator, bratwurst, jalapeno poppers...and cherry cake.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2006, 06:18:24 pm »
Okay, the Brokeback BBQ 2007 site is live at

http://brokeback2007.com

and there's a menu for the BBQ, with all the fixin's for fish tacos!! What you've all been waiting for!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:29 am »
bump  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2007, 09:19:30 am »
What fish do y'all think would go best in a fish Taco?

I'm thinking fresh tuna steak would be good! Nice firm texture and a distinctive enough flavour to hold it's own with the other ingredients. Has to be fresh though - none of that tinned rubbish! ;D

Yes please...!!  :D

No thanks...!!  :-X

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:24:43 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

mvansand76

« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2007, 11:18:28 am »
I have been a vegeterian now for more than a year because I read a few articles on how animals are treated in the bio-industry and it made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't do it anymore.

But now I have had people ask me if I eat fish instead of meat, and I always tell them no because I don't like fish.

A few weeks ago I saw a documentary about how fishing companies destroy the seas and oceans by overfishing and using large drag nets that sweep the whole ocean floor and destroy all vegetation and life on it. If they go on like this we will have more and more square kilometers of dead oceans.

Most of the companies that produce fish products use these companies. There is now one company in Holland that at least for their fish sticks uses companies that do not work with drag nets and they call their fish sticks "ocean friendly".

Have you seen products in your country with this claim?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2007, 11:42:12 am »
Yes, Melissa, there are getting to be more places where you can buy fish that are sustainably grown and caught. Personally, I shop for fish for my fish tacos in an Oriental grocery store and usually buy a fish that is swimming in a tank. After the fishmonger kills and dresses it to my directions, I take the whole thing home and I use the fillets for the tacos and the rest for fish stock. I even sometimes bury the fish heads and tails in my garden  like the Native Americans did and plant corn or squash!

These fish tacos are also extremely good with tofu, and you can get firm tofu that can be cut into strips and broiled or fried, seasoned, and sprinkled with sesame seeds, which is very delicious!!

Personally, I eat all kinds of meat and plant foods, with reverence, and only what I need. I love animals, but I love plants just as much!!

mvansand76

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2007, 11:52:02 am »
Yes, Melissa, there are getting to be more places where you can buy fish that are sustainably grown and caught. Personally, I shop for fish for my fish tacos in an Oriental grocery store and usually buy a fish that is swimming in a tank. After the fishmonger kills and dresses it to my directions, I take the whole thing home and I use the fillets for the tacos and the rest for fish stock. I even sometimes bury the fish heads and tails in my garden  like the Native Americans did and plant corn or squash!

These fish tacos are also extremely good with tofu, and you can get firm tofu that can be cut into strips and broiled or fried, seasoned, and sprinkled with sesame seeds, which is very delicious!!

Personally, I eat all kinds of meat and plant foods, with reverence, and only what I need. I love animals, but I love plants just as much!!

Oh I would love to get your recipe for the tofu tacos! It's hard to find the really firm tofu here in Holland, it's all so soggy!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2007, 12:26:17 pm »
Oh I would love to get your recipe for the tofu tacos! It's hard to find the really firm tofu here in Holland, it's all so soggy!

That reminds me of something. Did you ever see the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Marie makes a tofu turkey? It's called "No Fat". It is hysterical!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2007, 04:25:44 pm »
No I didn't see that...is it on youtube, LOL? To make firm tofu, you can always drain and squeeze it and leave it in a cheesecloth bag hanging over the sink overnight...works like a charm!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2007, 01:06:57 am »
Yes, Melissa, there are getting to be more places where you can buy fish that are sustainably grown and caught. Personally, I shop for fish for my fish tacos in an Oriental grocery store and usually buy a fish that is swimming in a tank. After the fishmonger kills and dresses it to my directions, I take the whole thing home and I use the fillets for the tacos and the rest for fish stock. I even sometimes bury the fish heads and tails in my garden   like the Native Americans did and plant corn or squash!

That is the best fertilizer you can use. My Mother did this same thing after returning from the fishmonger. If I remember correctly, she and Dad would sometimes compost some of the fish heads along with cow excrement. It sounds disgusting, and actually it was. But after they tilled it into the garden, we would end up with HUGE tomatoes; some as large as soft balls. All the fruits and vegetables were very large and healthy. Gosh, now I'm in the mood to plant a garden. Too bad there's so much snow outside right now.  :(

I know this sounds kind of weird, but I always thank the animal before I consume it. It gave its life so I could live. But I'm getting to be more and more like Melissa, I think. I'm beginning to eat much more vegetables and fruit, and less meat.