Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120049 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Who Loves Fish Tacos?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 10:20:33 pm »
I don't have a recipe...it's been a long time, but the ones I had in Baja had some sort of cilantro mayonnaise.  I think a recipe for that would be the key, for me at least.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 12:06:07 am »
I don't have a recipe...it's been a long time, but the ones I had in Baja had some sort of cilantro mayonnaise.  I think a recipe for that would be the key, for me at least.
-Lynne

Yummy.  The fried shrimp tacos I had had shredded cabbage and a jalapeno ranch/tartar sauce on them.  Mmmm...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 09:54:53 am »
Okay, I promised a recipe and here it is (latjoreme, since U are "coauthor" of this poll, feel free to chime in w/your favorite!)

http://www.jonsullivan.com/recipes/fishtacos.php

Whoever Jon Sullivan is, he has fish tacos figured out! Note that a half bottle of pale ale is needed, the cook gets the other half! Cilantro mayo is included...I've also used wasabi mayo...is that sacrilegeous?? Would like your thoughts, Lynne, and all, on condiments (ketchup...not!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 10:00:07 am »
(latjoreme, since U are "coauthor" of this poll, feel free to chime in w/your favorite!)

To be honest, F-R, I've never made them! I just order them off menus whenever I see them. This looks like a good recipe, though.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 11:34:40 pm »
Okay, I promised a recipe and here it is (latjoreme, since U are "coauthor" of this poll, feel free to chime in w/your favorite!)

http://www.jonsullivan.com/recipes/fishtacos.php

Whoever Jon Sullivan is, he has fish tacos figured out! Note that a half bottle of pale ale is needed, the cook gets the other half! Cilantro mayo is included...I've also used wasabi mayo...is that sacrilegeous?? Would like your thoughts, Lynne, and all, on condiments (ketchup...not!)

The few times I've tried to make something like this it was shrimp tacos, specifically, and I just grilled the shrimp with a light olive oil, some fresh herbs including cilantro, and garlic.

I don't think wasabi mayo is sacriligious at all - it sounds like a nice Asian variation.  I am a condiment slut ;)  For many many years I was a strict vegetarian. (I've been trying to get back to that and I'm only about 80% there.)  There was this brew pub in Cambridge MA (Cambridge Brewing Company) that had a hot sauce smorgasboard.  It would seriously take me 2 hours to eat my veggie burger b/c I had to cut it in little pieces and test 12 different sauces.

Edited to add:  Thanks for the recipe link - I bookmarked it and will try to test it out soon.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

gattaca

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 08:30:26 am »
I don't think wasabi mayo is sacriligious at all - it sounds like a nice Asian variation.  I am a condiment slut ;) 

Well you know what they say - Practice Safe Eating: Use Condiments!

Wow, this thread has certainly grown! The only other contribution I can make is that you should make sure the fish is ABSOLUTELY as fresh (preferably just caught) as possible. The little palapa at Cabo Pulmo had the fish we caught prepared and served within an hour after we caught it. It makes a difference! I realize that most folks can't get fish quite that fresh, but if anybody here lives near a fish market, that's the ticket.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »
My latest fantasy: The Lives of the Cowboys (anybody ever listen to that on the Prairie Home Companion?) with Front-Ranger travelling through the Rocky Mountains on my chuckwagon, bringing fish tacos to all the Brokies, cowboys, and roughnecks who can handle 'em. I'd have the condiments all lined up on the sideboards (Lynn, you can pick 'em for me!) and a Basque as sous chef. Hey, Chef Judy, want to join me???

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 07:46:22 pm »
My latest fantasy: The Lives of the Cowboys (anybody ever listen to that on the Prairie Home Companion?) with Front-Ranger travelling through the Rocky Mountains on my chuckwagon, bringing fish tacos to all the Brokies, cowboys, and roughnecks who can handle 'em. I'd have the condiments all lined up on the sideboards (Lynn, you can pick 'em for me!) and a Basque as sous chef. Hey, Chef Judy, want to join me???

:laugh:

The mental picture just caught me off guard.

You guys would certainly make the news and garner a whole new following of Brokies!

I like wasabi mayo.  They sell it in grocery stores these days along with chipotle mayo.  It's all good.  Better fresh.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 11:16:12 pm »
I like wasabi mayo.  They sell it in grocery stores these days along with chipotle mayo.  It's all good.  Better fresh.

Hell, I can't find the chipotle mayo, either. And I've been looking!! In gourmetish grocery stores. My son will hardly eat a sandwich unless it has chipotle mayo AND pepper cheese AND sliced jalapenos, with maybe some banana peppers and pepperoni thrown in for extra flavor. He's 11. By the time he's 30, he's going to have to just apply a blowtorch to his tongue.

I will try Whole Foods. (For wasabi, I always just add wasabi powder to regular mayo -- is it better if it's premixed?)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 11:26:18 pm »
The place where U can find everything U really want (yes everything!!) is the Oriental grocery store. Do not be put off by the foreign looking signs at the windows--go right in and look at, ravage, enjoy everything you see and indulge yrself--it's all good, and it's very reasonably priced. And they usually accept credit cards. It's a fantastic place--I love going there!!!!