Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120066 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Who Loves Fish Tacos?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 02:39:23 am »
I saw  a package of fish taco mix once. I guess  it was some sort of topping to put on the fish taco.

I was scared of it. I don't like fish. Nope! I am willing to try just about anything, but fish tacos sound really disgusting to me.

I have tasted squid though. It was pretty good! I also tasted raw herring and onions (nieuwe haring) once in The Netherlands. It was not so good.

I just really don't like fish. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:12:25 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 03:09:06 am »
Yes, I love 'em AND there is a cheap good chain here in Seattle that specializes in 'em that is called TACO DEL MAR.  As ptannen says in that thread, BBM is everywhere.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 04:07:28 am »
I'm curious though. What kind of fish do they put on these tacos? Is it tuna? That MIGHT not be too bad.

It just doesn't sound very good to me.  It sounds like something along the lines of pickles and honey, or ketchup and strawberries. It just doesn't sound good.

If anyone has a recipe for it, I may give it a shot.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.  :P

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 10:12:58 am »
I went to a Mexican restaurant Friday night, and dutifully ordered fish tacos (I now consider this a Brokie obligation, if there's no elk on the menu). This was a merely OK version. The fish tasted like fish sticks. Still, not bad. Came with a side of beans.

gattaca

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 10:54:20 am »
I'm curious though. What kind of fish do they put on these tacos? Is it tuna? That MIGHT not be too bad.

It could certainly be tuna, but it would have to be fresh-caught (or just off the boats). Canned tuna would be unthinkable.  :-X

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 11:37:11 pm »
These fish tacos make me think about something else I find a little scary. Fish pizza. They are selling it here in Indianapolis now (for all I know, they may have been selling it here for years). But I think it sounds really strange. Of course people do order pizzas with anchovies (I am NOT one of those people), but somehow, I don't think they are talking about anchovies when they sell fish pizza.

Fish tacos. Fish pizza. What IS the world coming to? I guess I am just an inexperienced midwestern boy. Steak and baked potato. Hamburger and french fries. We are meat and potatoes people here in Indiana.

But fish tacos and pizza. I just don't know about that. And somebody said they served beans with the fish taco? Oh wow! Fish and beans?

I'll stick with my hamburger and fries!! :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 11:45:53 pm »
I would -- and do -- order fish tacos, fish with beans, pizza with anchovies. But I think I would draw the line at fish pizza (though I have had pretty good pizza with shrimp, asparagus and brie! -- classic yuppie fare, I know).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 01:02:51 am »
I would -- and do -- order fish tacos, fish with beans, pizza with anchovies. But I think I would draw the line at fish pizza (though I have had pretty good pizza with shrimp, asparagus and brie! -- classic yuppie fare, I know).

Actually pizza with shrimp, asparagus and brie does sound pretty good. As long as it has asparagus tips... I don't really like the stems.

I'm glad you agree with me on the fish pizza. It's selling like crazy here, I guess. Maybe Hoosiers are beginning to wean themselves from serloin steaks! There is a pizza place near me that sells 101 different types of pizzas. This is one of the places in town where you can buy the fish pizza.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 02:02:11 pm »
Pizza comes from Naples which is a seaside city, so fish pizza sounds right to me. How about calling it pizza de pesce? Does that grab you? Actually, what are you doing eating pizza at all if you're in Indiana? Isn't that the wonderful place where Breaking Away was filmed with (avert the eyes) Dennis Quaid? I remember the line from that movie where the Dad forbids "ini" food from being served in his house. I may have Indiana mixed up with Illinois--I'll bet that's never happened before.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 04:18:52 pm »
Pizza comes from Naples which is a seaside city, so fish pizza sounds right to me. How about calling it pizza de pesce? Does that grab you? Actually, what are you doing eating pizza at all if you're in Indiana? Isn't that the wonderful place where Breaking Away was filmed with (avert the eyes) Dennis Quaid? I remember the line from that movie where the Dad forbids "ini" food from being served in his house. I may have Indiana mixed up with Illinois--I'll bet that's never happened before.

Pizza de pesce? That sounds like a good name to me! I don't know how it would play out with my fellow Indianians though. They will probably continue to call it fish pizza! ;)

Yes, "Breaking Away" was filmed in and took place in Indiana... more accurately, Bloomington Indiana (Home of IU); about 50 miles down the road from  me. Yes, there are some "non-ini eating Hoosiers" (does that make sense?), but I am not one of them. I am willing to try just about anything......except fish pizza and fish tacos!  :P