Author Topic: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?  (Read 18500 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:55:13 pm »
You may select up to four choices! :D

I'll probably stay home on Halloween night so I can hand out candy to all the neighborhood kids. I love seeing all those cute costumes. But I'll probably go to many of the haunted houses here in town with some of my friends a few nights before Halloween. We have LOTS of haunted houses here during the Halloween season and some of them are extremely scary! On Halloween night I'll invite some friends over for a small party and we'll probably watch some scary movies on TV. TCM often plays those old Dracula and Werewolf movies on Halloween night.

What are your plans for Halloween?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: How Will You Celebrate Halloween This Year?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:02:13 pm »
I love Halloween.

I've been asked to organize a Halloweenn luncheon this year at work.

I'll be in costume at work, and then leave early to take my friends' kids trick or treating, and then to a friend's house for a small party.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:09:05 pm »
I love Halloween.

I'll be in costume at work, and then leave early to take my friends' kids trick or treating, and then to a friend's house for a small party.

I love Halloween too Chuck!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:26:39 pm »
I expect I'll just go out and get drunk.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:27:47 pm »

You have such a head for organizing things like that.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:29:35 pm »
You have such a head for organizing things like that.  :)

He even organized a second n in Halloween so the other n wouldn't be lonely!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:27:18 pm »
He even organized a second n in Halloween so the other n wouldn't be lonely!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:30:33 pm »
Anyone else going to dress up?

I'm thinking I take my black combat boots, black jeans, and leather jacket.  Add a bunch of gothic jewelry, use makeup to pale my face, and add dark circles to the eyes, and a pair of black feather wings, and go as a demon/fallen angel.

I told Rich (LoneLeeB3) about it, and his reply was I was "too sweet" to pull that off.

Now I want to do it even more.

Offline viper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 08:41:08 pm »
Where I grew up, we never had ANY trick or treaters, down a long country lane and an even longer driveway into the farm. 

So now?  Whoot!  We put on the scary movies, have the pause button handy, make sure the jackolanterns are going, and pass out bags and bags of candy.  We live in a neighborhood w/ tons of kids. 

;D

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 04:13:27 pm »
This halloween is quite new to me.We don't celebrate it much in England. I will take the kids round trick or treating.Where I live the decorations are amazing.One guy turns his garage into a dungeon/haunted house etc. The kids get so much candy they still haven't eaten it a year later.

There are also lots of drinks stops for the grown ups.One guy has a band in his driveway and pizza and drinks. Another family always have a Budweiser stand, draught Bud. There sre so many margharita stops I could be drunk by the bottom of my road !!!

For several days before we go round loking at everyones decorations, it takes me about 3 full days to get all ours out.Will have to watch the electricity bill this year though.t will also be interesting to see if it is all scaled down a bit, this time with people watching their cents.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:07:46 am »

Halloween isn't really celebrated in Australia. However, I've noticed in the past couple of years that a small group of neighbourhood children, all very young (under 10yo), have been dressing-up and going door-to-door. It appears to be very low-key and all over by nightfall, because of their young age. I'm in a high-rise apartment building with security access intercom downstairs, so they don't target my building. The children appear to be having fun, albeit somewhat embarrassed and reluctant to knock on stranger's doors (I look down upon it all happening from my vantage point above), but the accompanying adults look to be anything but enraptured. They look like guards on a prison death march. I've never heard of adult Halloween celebrations here in Oz. No-one decorates their homes. Halloween parties are unheard of. If I were to wear a Halloween costume to work (a hospital), I would be locked-up in the on-campus psych ward for sure. "Kerry's finally cracked," they'd say, "I told you it'd happen one day!"  :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:20:11 am »
Kerry, those trick or treating kids may have been started by my friend.

lmao!

a number of years ago, one of my friends held dual citizenship, for US and Austrailia.

On her first Halloween there, she invited her friends to her flat for a Halloween party.  She explained the custom to them, and they all came in costume and she decorated the house, but with US decorations, as she could find none over there.

Well, she made them all go out trick or treating, and the people whos doors they knocked on had no idea what was going on!

Ava told me that when they got back, they had collected note pads, plastic fruit, cigarettes and various other things from people who had no candy around.

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:10 am »
Well, she made them all go out trick or treating, and the people whos doors they knocked on had no idea what was going on!

Ava told me that when they got back, they had collected note pads, plastic fruit, cigarettes and various other things from people who had no candy around.

:laugh:

What, no Foster's?  :o

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 09:44:49 am »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:11:07 am »
Kerry, those trick or treating kids may have been started by my friend.

lmao!

a number of years ago, one of my friends held dual citizenship, for US and Austrailia.

On her first Halloween there, she invited her friends to her flat for a Halloween party.  She explained the custom to them, and they all came in costume and she decorated the house, but with US decorations, as she could find none over there.

:laugh: I'm surprised they didn't get black-eyes and dog bites!   :o   ;)   :laugh:

You've made me think, Chuck. A couple of years ago, a new family moved into a house across the street from me. I live very close to Sydney's Little Italy and they look to be a young Italio-Australian family with three little girls. The father appears to be the ring-leader of this new Halloween custom and the participants meet-up at their house. Certainly, it seemed to start at about the same time they moved in. And he is the only adult who appears to enjoy the door-to-door exercise. He's like a big kid. He dressed-up as a wizard last year and really gets into the fun with the kids. As opposed to the other adults who look to be dreading every moment. I've only observed this all from high above and have never heard his voice. Now I'm wondering if he's not Italio-Australian at all. Maybe he's Italio-American and has brought this new custom to Australia with him.  :D

P.S., What does "Imao!" mean?  ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:30 am »
P.S., What does "Imao!" mean?  ???

Kerry, 

That's an "L." It's "LMAO," meaning "Laughing my ass off."  ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:36:42 am »
Kerry, 

That's an "L." It's "LMAO," meaning "Laughing my ass off."  ;D

Thank you kindly.  :)  I've seen it used a couple of times and wondered what it meant.  :-\  I remember when I first arrived here at BetterMost and was very new to all this, Jess (injest) used the expression ROTFL. I had to ask her what it meant.  ::)  Now I use it myself!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:26:12 am »
Thank you kindly.  :)  I've seen it used a couple of times and wondered what it meant.  :-\  I remember when I first arrived here at BetterMost and was very new to all this, Jess (injest) used the expression ROTFL. I had to ask her what it meant.  ::)  Now I use it myself!  :D

Of course, there is also ROTFLMAO, which is "rolling on the floor laughing my ass off."  ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »
Anyone else going to dress up?

I'm thinking I take my black combat boots, black jeans, and leather jacket.  Add a bunch of gothic jewelry, use makeup to pale my face, and add dark circles to the eyes, and a pair of black feather wings, and go as a demon/fallen angel.

I told Rich (LoneLeeB3) about it, and his reply was I was "too sweet" to pull that off.

Now I want to do it even more.

Now, that's  funny!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 04:48:33 pm »
I voted 'other'.

We don't really celebrate Halloween over here. To us, it's more of a commercial thing that came over from the US, like Valentine's day. The shops are nicely decorated and our local bakery now has chocolates witches on sale, so I'm not complaining.  ;D

In my village there is a tradition of a 'witches walk' through the woods on the last Saturday before November 1st. I think it's the 30th time it's been organised this year.
20 groups of about 30 people go on a  2h30min walk in the woods after dark with a guide. No lights are allowed. And along this walk you'll meet all sorts of weird and scary creatures and stories are told about the underworld where the witches live. There are even witches on horseback galloping through the woods in the pitch dark. Very scary and impressing. Although I had to laugh last year when my oldest daughter actually recognised one of the horses from the stables where we go riding! LOL

My husband will be a guide again this year. It's his third year and he'll be dressed as a monk.  ::) It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening. I'm hoping for good weather.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »
Since my friends and I will be going to Young Frankenstein on Saturday, we are thinking of dressing up as Frankenstein, the Monster, and Inga or the fiance on Friday at a costume party.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 05:15:24 pm »
I voted 'other'.

We don't really celebrate Halloween over here. To us, it's more of a commercial thing that came over from the US, like Valentine's day. The shops are nicely decorated and our local bakery now has chocolates witches on sale, so I'm not complaining.  ;D

In my village there is a tradition of a 'witches walk' through the woods on the last Saturday before November 1st. I think it's the 30th time it's been organised this year.
20 groups of about 30 people go on a  2h30min walk in the woods after dark with a guide. No lights are allowed. And along this walk you'll meet all sorts of weird and scary creatures and stories are told about the underworld where the witches live. There are even witches on horseback galloping through the woods in the pitch dark. Very scary and impressing. Although I had to laugh last year when my oldest daughter actually recognised one of the horses from the stables where we go riding! LOL

My husband will be a guide again this year. It's his third year and he'll be dressed as a monk.  ::) It's a fun way to spend a Saturday evening. I'm hoping for good weather.

Oh, the Witches Walk sounds like FUN! And spooky! I'd love it! :D

Do they celebrate St. Maarten's Day in Belgium Fabienne?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 06:15:18 pm »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 06:19:24 pm »
I'd like to watch a scary movie and go out latter.  But I've seen most scary movies. Don't care the for gore fest film of the 1980's thru present day.   I think Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorites horror pictures though not terribly scary.  The orginal version of The Haunting was also quite good.  I've seen all the Hammer Films. An American Werewolf in London I've seen way too many times.

Anyone have any suggestions.   ???

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 06:25:38 pm »
I voted 'other'.

I had read that Halloween was starting to catch on in Sweden, but that ppl were becoming concerned about the Americanization of their culture and so it was dying out. Was this ever the case in Belgium?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:28 pm »

You know I love you, Chuckie, even as a dark angel.   8)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 09:36:36 pm »
You know I love you, Chuckie, even as a dark angel.   8)

;D    :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:06 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions.   ???

I'm partial to the "romantic" Dracula, with Frank Langella. Used to watch that every Halloween.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »

Oh, what a great idea - sounds like a lot of fun!

Hopefully, if the weather cooperates, we'll bring the fire pit out front and set up our jack-o-lanterns and hand out candy to the kiddies. 

There are also lots of drinks stops for the grown ups.One guy has a band in his driveway and pizza and drinks. Another family always have a Budweiser stand, draught Bud. There sre so many margharita stops I could be drunk by the bottom of my road !!!

Wow - a band in the driveway!  Cool.  I haven't seen anyone do that yet, but we have lots of drink stops, too.  For those of us who aren't taking trick or treaters out anymore, we kind of just visit with neighbors and share drinks.  Of course, this all depends on the weather.  We've had everything from snow to 70 degrees on Halloween night!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 10:56:09 pm »
I'd like to watch a scary movie and go out latter.  But I've seen most scary movies. Don't care the for gore fest film of the 1980's thru present day.   I think Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorites horror pictures though not terribly scary.  The orginal version of The Haunting was also quite good.  I've seen all the Hammer Films. An American Werewolf in London I've seen way too many times.

Anyone have any suggestions.   ???

The Shining

Interview With The Vampire

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992 I think) or any of the old B&W Dracula, Wolfman or Mummy movies! :)

The Strangers is coming out on DVD this month which I plan to buy and watch on Halloween.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 01:33:21 am »
Oh, the Witches Walk sounds like FUN! And spooky! I'd love it! :D

Do they celebrate St. Maarten's Day in Belgium Fabienne?

Yes! But only in a small part of Belgium. Sint Maarten is celebrated in the region of the city of Aalst. Many kids get their presents from Sint Maarten there on November 11th instead of Sint Nicolas on december 6th.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 01:57:48 am »
I clicked four disparate choices, yet all true:

Attend a Halloween party
Take the kids Trick-or-Treating
Stay at home and spend time on Bettermost
I don't celebrate Halloween

I would pretty much ignore Halloween, if I could.  I'd rather stay home and be on BetterMost.  But I have a kid, and so far she was young enough that she didn't quite know about trick or treating, so I didn't have to take her, but the cat's out of the bag, and we're going this year.  Also, we have friends who have a Halloween party every year, and so we go, although I wind up bailing on it about half the time at the last moment.  I'm just not into creepy.

Now Thanksgiving is a different story.  I love that holiday.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:58 am »
I'm really not into creepy either, but I've always loved the make-believe aspect of Halloween.  :D

October is my favorite month, and I guess I love both the fall holidays, Halloween and Thanksgiving.  :D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 09:27:04 am »
I had read that Halloween was starting to catch on in Sweden, but that ppl were becoming concerned about the Americanization of their culture and so it was dying out. Was this ever the case in Belgium?

I has never caught on over here. It's just something we know from American movies and tv series. Kids don't go trick or treating over here and I've never heard of a Halloween party over here.

I don't know where the tradition of the witches walk in my village came from. I grew up in another part of Belgium and it wasn't a tradition over there. I'm guessing there must be a Halloween link somewhere, but I'm not sure. I once read that Halloween has european/catholic roots, so maybe a witch walk is something that is done in other countries too.

But we're not really worried about Americanization.  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 03:43:55 pm »
Hi Fabienne! Yes, Halloween did indeed originate in Europe. It's strange how Halloween has become such a big holiday in the US but not in other countries, since it was Europe that gave us Halloween to begin with! :)

From Wikipedia:

History

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samain).[1] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes [2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[3] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the alive and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[4][5]

History of Name

The term Halloween is shortened from All Hallows' Even (both "even" and "eve" are abbreviations of "evening", but "Halloween" gets its "n" from "even") as it is the eve of "All Hallows' Day",[6] which is now also known as All Saints' Day. It was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions,[3] until Popes Gregory III and Gregory IV moved the old Christian feast of All Saints' Day from May 13 (which had itself been the date of a pagan holiday, the Feast of the Lemures) to November 1. In the ninth century, the Church measured the day as starting at sunset, in accordance with the Florentine calendar. Although All Saints' Day is now considered to occur one day after Halloween, the two holidays were, at that time, celebrated on the same day. Liturgically, the Church traditionally celebrated that day as the Vigil of All Saints, and, until 1970, a day of fasting as well. Like other vigils, it was celebrated on the previous day if it fell on a Sunday, although secular celebrations of the holiday remained on the 31st. The Vigil was suppressed in 1955, but was later restored in the post-Vatican II calendar.

Full Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 04:11:12 pm »

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:03 pm »
I voted 'don't celebrate halloween'.
It's not an Oz thing, 'though there are a few people (kids) in Oz who would like to introduce it here. Maybe they see too many american TV shows, and visit McDonalds too often.
But someone is bound to promote it if they think it's a chance to sell something. Probably sweet manufacturers.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »
awww.....the little 'roos want to celebrate Halloween!

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 10:06:35 pm »
I guess they'll know how to do it from all that TV watching. AND with the appropriate accent.  :-\

(groan)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »
I guess they'll know how to do it from all that TV watching. AND with the appropriate accent.  :-\

(groan)

awwww!

*hugs Rob, then tickles him*  ;)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 10:52:21 pm »
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 10:55:35 pm »
Eww yuck!  :P

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 07:04:59 pm »
My gf and I are thinking of dressing up 1940's style for a halloween party.  :)
It is not decided yet but...
I am excited at the prospect, since I don't usually do much for Halloween.